Re: New RIFE filter - 3x faster AI interpolation possible in SVP!!!

Does it still happen when using the latest version from https://github.com/AmusementClub/vs-mlrt/releases? SVP might be using the last non-test release (v13) instead of the latest testing release (v14).

Im noob to this software. While using TensorRT, a cmd popups doing compilation. Does this occur for every video file opened? or only once? And  also please suggest best rife model for my gpu. Its a 3070 laptop.

cws wrote:

Does it still happen when using the latest version from https://github.com/AmusementClub/vs-mlrt/releases? SVP might be using the last non-test release (v13) instead of the latest testing release (v14).

I don't know what this means. Would you kindly explain?

I am using SVP with the models downloaded into the RIFE and RIFEV2 folders, with MPV video player.

How do I install what you mention, and what are the benefits? Will I get better performance? I am on a quest to get 4K60 @ 10-bit. The closest I have come is 4K48 @ 10-bit  - Thank you smile

1,129 (edited by dawkinscm 05-01-2024 21:11:59)

cws wrote:

As stated in the docs, the v14 test releases are not designed for our GPUs even though they will work. SVP is not and should not be using them

1,130 (edited by barryma 06-01-2024 08:06:22)

Is the bigger the number of the scene change threshold, the better?And why is my maximum number only 15%?

1,131 (edited by cws 07-01-2024 07:42:35)

Right, TensorRT 9.x is in "beta" and not officially released. Still, v13 was released when TensorRT 8.5 was the latest version, when there is a new release of TensorRT 8.x (which is 8.6.)

There may be fixes and enhancements in the latest v14 releases which is not in v13. If you're willing to help test, I would try downloading https://github.com/AmusementClub/vs-mlr … 4.test2.7z and unzipping

vstrt.dll

and the folder

vsmlrt-cuda

into

C:\Program Files (x86)\SVP 4\rife

1,132 (edited by dawkinscm 07-01-2024 11:34:26)

cws wrote:

Right, TensorRT 9.x is in "beta" and not officially released. Still, v13 was released when TensorRT 8.5 was the latest version, when there is a new release of TensorRT 8.x (which is 8.6.)

There may be fixes and enhancements in the latest v14 releases which is not in v13. If you're willing to help test, I would try downloading https://github.com/AmusementClub/vs-mlr … 4.test2.7z and unzipping

vstrt.dll

and the folder

vsmlrt-cuda

into

According to the info about the code, v14 is no improvement over v13. Having personally tested the v14 versions I would say that if anything they might use a little more GPU resource. Maybe that's because they are designed for AI GPUs.

1,133 (edited by RickyAstle98 07-01-2024 16:53:19)

barryma wrote:

Is the bigger the number of the scene change threshold, the better?And why is my maximum number only 15%?

Higher values = more smoothness and scene transitions become funny
Lower values = scene transitions become duplicated frames not funny

Tried using this in mpv but nothing plays its a crawl.

Rife 4.14 is out. There's fast movement artefact I saw in one movie which is now gone. There are some sc settings I make in the code that work a lot better to reduce a different more problematical fast movement artefact. It's still there, but less so than before.  Rife 4.14 seems to be better overall for fast movement.

dawkinscm wrote:

Rife 4.14 is out. There's fast movement artefact I saw in one movie which is now gone. There are some sc settings I make in the code that work a lot better to reduce a different more problematical fast movement artefact. It's still there, but less so than before.  Rife 4.14 seems to be better overall for fast movement.

Can you share that setting with me ?

1,137 (edited by flowreen91 08-01-2024 21:38:18)

dawkinscm wrote:

Rife 4.14 seems to be better overall for fast movement.

What video you use for fast movement tests?
For slow panning movement i found first seconds of this video very useful:
https://drive.usercontent.google.com/uc … t=download

1,138 (edited by dawkinscm 08-01-2024 20:32:23)

flowreen91 wrote:
dawkinscm wrote:

Rife 4.14 seems to be better overall for fast movement.

What video you use for fast movement tests?
For slow panning movement i found first seconds of this video very useful:
https://drive.usercontent.google.com/uc … t=download

I use a number of videos highlighting different artefacts. But Alita might be the best because it has different types of fast movement and exposes a couple of minor artefacts. One of which has been fixed by Rife 4.14.

cemaydnlar wrote:

Can you share that setting with me ?

It's a change to the code in base.py. I got this from a previous post by @blackmickey1007 for completely disabling SC.

SVP4\script\base.py

input_m = input_m.misc.SCDetect(threshold= 0.1 or 0.2)

The threshold values are just suggestions. You will need to experiment to see what works for you. You won't find a pefect setting because when you fix double images from fast movement it will break slow panning. When you reset for slow panning you get double images in fast movement. But you can get a compromise which improves fast movement a little without breaking slow panning. I couldn't get even this minor improvement in 4.12/4.13 but 4.14 does seem to be better overall for fast movement so here it was possible.

1,139 (edited by flowreen91 08-01-2024 21:40:37)

dawkinscm wrote:

It's a change to the code in base.py. I got this from a previous post by @blackmickey1007 for completely disabling SC.

SVP4\script\base.py

input_m = input_m.misc.SCDetect(threshold= 0.1 or 0.2).

The old line is:
input_m = input_m.misc.SCDetect(threshold=rife_sc)
and changing it manually to 0.1 and 0.2 values translates to:
- selecting "Scene change threshold" from SVP and selecting "10%" or "20%"
- or by going to application settings and search "rife_sc" and set it to 10 or 20 like in following image:
https://gyazo.com/714dd3a8a3159f1ac7f496126d92ee70

dawkinscm i suggest you revert that line change since SVP devs were nice enough to allow us to control it from both mentioned places.
For "completely disabling SC" just set "rife_sc" application setting at 100 to see max smoothness with zero animation stuttering.

1,140 (edited by dawkinscm 08-01-2024 22:30:05)

flowreen91 wrote:
dawkinscm wrote:

SVP4\script\base.py

input_m = input_m.misc.SCDetect(threshold= 0.1 or 0.2).

The old line is:
input_m = input_m.misc.SCDetect(threshold=rife_sc)
and changing it manually to 0.1 and 0.2 values translates to:
- selecting "Scene change threshold" from SVP and selecting "10%" or "20%"
- or by going to application settings and search "rife_sc" and set it to 10 or 20 like in following image:
https://gyazo.com/714dd3a8a3159f1ac7f496126d92ee70

dawkinscm i suggest you revert that line change since SVP devs were nice enough to allow us to control it from both mentioned places.
For "completely disabling SC" just set "rife_sc" application setting at 100 to see max smoothness with zero animation stuttering.

Thanks for clarifying.  I just used that the 0.1/0.2 examples from the original post. I've tried 100 and other high values before and Rife is smooth with anything from 15% or 100% on my machine.

But the double image issue I'm talking about you may never see this issue depending on the the type of stuff you watch. I want to fix this while keeping the smooth motion which is pretty much impossible. With a low enough value, the stutters disappear but also causes slow pan stutters. My actual setting is a decimal fraction below 10% and rife_sc only accepts integers. Increasing fps actually fixes the issue but causes slow pan stutters and resource issues.  The only real solution is for the model to get better and I've noticed a couple of small improvements so hopefully that trend will continue.

BTW I didn't want to say it before without more testing but Rife 4.14 uses a little less GPU resources than 4.12/4.13. YMMV.

1,141 (edited by cws 09-01-2024 05:55:50)

It's true there's no significant performance improvement, but there may be fixes and other minor improvements.

Specifically, when using v13 (with TensorRT 8.5 / CUDA 11.8) with the v2 models, I can see some blurriness and pixels shifting in the bottom right corner if there is some obvious static content there like a logo. If this is something you can reproduce, try using the latest v14 (with TensorRT 9.x / CUDA 12.x)

dawkinscm wrote:

Biggest improvement in artifact masking I have seen in a long time, a must upgrade. I am testing 4.14 (v2)

No Time to Die (007 movie), 3 minutes onwards, when the masked man walked behind the curved glass door and opens it, then the curtain in the background behind the woman on the sofa.

From 14 to 17 minutes the fast action sequence now has no more artifacts in it.

The building time does take longer, around twice as long as before, so be patient at the start.

Sadly I can't test my usual full aspect ratio IMAX movies or TV shows that take the whole screen in 4K, the RTX 3090 is not strong enough.

So I am hoping 4.14 Lite will have the same level of artifact masking, because it is brilliant.

cws wrote:

It's true there's no significant performance improvement, but there may be fixes and other minor improvements.

Specifically, when using v13 (with TensorRT 8.5 / CUDA 11.8) with the v2 models, I can see some blurriness and pixels shifting in the bottom right corner if there is some obvious static content there like a logo. If this is something you can reproduce, try using the latest v14 (with TensorRT 9.x / CUDA 12.x)

Thanks. If you see a particular issue that you want fixing then this does make sense. Especially if you are saying that v14 fixes this issue for you. I still do testing of new models, changing code etc but I think SVP is stable and works well now so I would not recommend most people do this. Why fix something when it ain't broken ? smile

I can confirm 4.14 has improved a lot in eliminating artifacts in fast moving scenes.

TechnoStone wrote:

V2 models for some reason have jiggling, the more to the right and down, the worse the effect. Almost unnoticeable for 1080p, but very annoying for 1440p and 4K (both native and downscaled to 1440p, here's the example - https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ … WGll8w.mp4). For this one, I'm running Game of Thrones S1 E1 at 4K on 3440x1440 (so SVP downscales to 2560x1440) at x2 framerate on 2080 Ti with 4.4v2, 4.6v2, 4.9v2 and 4.13_litev2. There's no such effect on V1 models (tried all same versions)

I have the same problem here too
tried using v14.4, but the problem was not fixed sad

zxcvbnm821 wrote:
TechnoStone wrote:

V2 models for some reason have jiggling, the more to the right and down, the worse the effect. Almost unnoticeable for 1080p, but very annoying for 1440p and 4K (both native and downscaled to 1440p, here's the example - https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ … WGll8w.mp4). For this one, I'm running Game of Thrones S1 E1 at 4K on 3440x1440 (so SVP downscales to 2560x1440) at x2 framerate on 2080 Ti with 4.4v2, 4.6v2, 4.9v2 and 4.13_litev2. There's no such effect on V1 models (tried all same versions)

Are you both updating your vsmlrt.py or not?

Go here: https://github.com/AmusementClub/vs-mlrt/releases

Currently, the latest version is v14.test3, scroll down and open Assets under the latest version. Download scripts.v14.test3.7z, which is 11.7 KB (that's very small and should take 1 second to download, don't download the big files).

Open it and keep it on the side, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\SVP 4\rife

Now drag and drop the vsmlrt.py from inside scripts.v14.test3.7z, into the folder above and replace the original file.

It should now be updated. Perhaps you're both using an outdated version of vsmlrt.py or an old nVidia driver. Your nVidia driver should also be up-to-date.

Generally you want to update vsmlrt.py every time they update it when you are always testing the latest versions.

zxcvbnm821 wrote:
TechnoStone wrote:

I dont have this problem, maybe you use target frame rate instead of interpolation factors? Because I do slomo video and see what happens on 25FPS video converted to 2.5x (no issues) (62.5FPS)
Then I do frame rate target at 60FPS and see your issue all the time, even without slomo effect! Dont use target framerate, factors work better!

1,148 (edited by Blackfyre 12-01-2024 17:57:57)

RickyAstle98 wrote:
zxcvbnm821 wrote:
TechnoStone wrote:

I dont have this problem, maybe you use target frame rate instead of interpolation factors? Because I do slomo video and see what happens on 25FPS video converted to 2.5x (no issues) (62.5FPS)
Then I do frame rate target at 60FPS and see your issue all the time, even without slomo effect! Dont use target framerate, factors work better!

Also this, make sure it's either 2x, 3x, 4x etc

Then open the drop down menu to the right of the slider, and enable at the bottom (Force Exact Value).

https://i.imgur.com/QLjY2Cw.png

1,149 (edited by RickyAstle98 13-01-2024 06:39:46)

Blackfyre wrote:
RickyAstle98 wrote:
zxcvbnm821 wrote:

Then open the drop down menu to the right of the slider, and enable at the bottom (Force Exact Value).

https://i.imgur.com/QLjY2Cw.png

Sometimes force exact value prevent RIFE working, with new models too (mpv_cfr argument can also kick RIFE from workload) but I only use X factors because I have GSync monitor tech, I have smoothness all the time!
Force exact value = issues
Fixed frame rate = issues
Frame rate factor = no issues

1,150 (edited by flowreen91 13-01-2024 11:24:05)

Blackfyre wrote:
RickyAstle98 wrote:
TechnoStone wrote:

cws wrote:

I checked by making a backups of both old SVP TensorRT and latest TensorRT v14 and switching them back and forth by looking at the mentioned trees scene.
I noticed that issue was present on all RIFE (v2) i tested even latest RIFE 14.4 (v2) on old SVP TensorRT.
Issue persisted when trying fixed FPS with Force Exact value on/off or FPS x2, which means it's unrelated.
I could not reproduce it anymore when replacing the old SVP TensorRT with latest TensorRT, which means it got FIXED on a version between old and latest.

Current default SVP installation has 4.6/4.9 v1 models which means average user never saw this jiggling issue.
In the future when SVP devs will want to add the v2 models they will surely update the default old TensorRT libraries too so your average user will never see this issue.

Until then we should follow @cws guide on how to update our own TensorRT library from https://github.com/AmusementClub/vs-mlrt/releases if we want to play around with latest RIFE models:

cws wrote:

vstrt.dll

and the folder

vsmlrt-cuda

into