Topic: Has anyone used SVP with "Plex for Linux"?

Hi there, I'll try to keep it brief. I use Ubuntu linux on all computers other than my gaming/media computer. I am ready to drop windows entirely now that linux gaming is nearing windows performance level.

In addition to gaming, I watch movies on my computer using Plex for Windows and SVP. I do this more often than I game, so it's really important to me that I be able to find a drop-in replacement for linux.

I have recently discovered that there is now a native Plex Desktop Linux player. My question is basically, can SVP work with Plex for Linux? I've tried to search this every way I can think of, however since the player and the server share a name (Plex) and the server is 100x more popular, I am not finding results.

Thanks for any answers or hints. I have an AMD graphics card if that matters. I would also be open to using Jellyfin Media Player.

2 (edited by DarwinNader 20-11-2023 04:25:24)

Re: Has anyone used SVP with "Plex for Linux"?

ksheyman wrote:

Hi there, I'll try to keep it brief. I use Ubuntu linux on all computers other than my gaming/media computer. I am ready to drop windows entirely now that linux gaming is nearing windows performance level.

In addition to gaming, I watch movies on my computer using Plex for Windows and SVP. I do this more often than I game, so it's really important to me that I be able to find a drop-in replacement for linux.getting over it

I have recently discovered that there is now a native Plex Desktop Linux player. My question is basically, can SVP work with Plex for Linux? I've tried to search this every way I can think of, however since the player and the server share a name (Plex) and the server is 100x more popular, I am not finding results.

Thanks for any answers or hints. I have an AMD graphics card if that matters. I would also be open to using Jellyfin Media Player.

SVP can work with Plex Media Player (PMP) on Linux, but not with Plex for Linux, which is a different application. PMP is a discontinued software that can still be downloaded from the Plex archive.

3 (edited by adamkex 28-11-2023 12:45:20)

Re: Has anyone used SVP with "Plex for Linux"?

DarwinNader wrote:
ksheyman wrote:

In addition to gaming, I watch movies on my computer using Plex for Windows and SVP. I do this more often than I game, so it's really important to me that I be able to find a drop-in replacement for linux.getting over it

SVP can work with Plex Media Player (PMP) on Linux, but not with Plex for Linux, which is a different application. PMP is a discontinued software that can still be downloaded from the Plex archive.

Can you link instructions for this? Also why doesn't Plex for Linux work with SVP?