Re: New RIFE filter - 3x faster AI interpolation possible in SVP!!!

Drakko01 wrote:
Drakko01 wrote:
Drakko01 wrote:

Chainik, I have been using that combination for months, without problems. Yesterday, an update for Vapoursynth and some more components appeared via maintenance manager. I uninstalled everything and reinstalled and the problem was not resolved. Please, does anyone know how to solve it. MPV works without problems.

This issue is trigger by enable Direct3d 11 in madvr ,for context that s always setting like that without any problem.

Anyone has any ideas on what can i do to fix it ?

I found the root of all my problems, no svp update, no mpchc update, no vapoursynth update, it was the windows 11 update in its preview version 25967.1000. The new update 25977.1000 fixed all the problems I had with playback. Now it is working as before.

Hey all.

Just setup MPC-BE + MadVR + VapourSynth + Rife AI with TensorRT.

I am on 4090rtx also. I've manually updated the libraries from the github AmusmentClub, replaced the files with v14t and copied the new Rife model 4.7 to the folder.
Now instead of deleting or renaming the Rife to 4.4 or so, I've added the custom version in profile settings:

https://i.ibb.co/xYr9Jcy/image.png

This then loads the 4.7 onyx and creates the cache file using new one. I must say the playback is quite smooth, but I am not actually sure how I should setup my monitor\framerate.
I am using AW3423DW OLED which is a 175hz display, but I am using it at 3440x1440 with 144hz which supports 10bit HDR. Actually shows as 143.97hz

https://i.ibb.co/FX0dXBq/image.png

The video I was testing, is a 4kHDR video with at 23.976. Unsure how I should set this to get best smoothest motion? Thanks for any tips.

@donnieyeen

Before RIFE, I used to match the refresh rate with the screen refresh rate. Not anymore.

As I use 2x with RIFE, it is not necessary to match the refresh rate. As RIFE running at 48FPS appears smoother than previous methods at 120FPS.

For reference, I have an LG C2 set to 4K @ 120Hz @ 4:4:4 @ 10Bit, always. VRR Disabled (because with the C2 it causes flickering, it shouldn't with your monitor). If you have VRR, enable it (as it should match the FPS to the variable refresh rate).

You can just set it to 144Hz + GSync, and enable GSync for Windowed and Full Screen from the nVidia Control Panel. That should be fine.

If you watch 1080p content, you can probably push RIFE to 3x or 4x easily with an RTX 4090. I wouldn't push it more than 4x, as you're just creating extra noise from the fans for no reason tbh.

For 4K, I watch 95% of my content at 4K, I have it set to 2x with my RTX 3090.

904 (edited by ategetemen 22-10-2023 15:21:27)

Hello guys.♥
I have downloaded and activated RIFE AI engine. But every movie I run, it's still on automatic mode!
I resrtart the PC, but it was not fixed.
Please help me to disable the program from automatic mode.
i have windows 11 & RTX 4090.

https://imgtr.ee/image/I7C5vD
https://imgtr.ee/image/I7C69s

ategetemen wrote:

Hello guys.♥
I have downloaded and activated RIFE AI engine. But every movie I run, it's still on automatic mode!
I resrtart the PC, but it was not fixed.
Please help me to disable the program from automatic mode.
i have windows 11 & RTX 4090.

https://imgtr.ee/image/I7C5vD
https://imgtr.ee/image/I7C69s

Either use the button on the bottom saying apply if, and make it apply to any video over 1fps or something, or click the SVP logo, then click "profile for active video" and use RIFE

906 (edited by ategetemen 22-10-2023 20:51:53)

tnx, its work♥

907 (edited by donnieyeen 24-10-2023 11:09:14)

Blackfyre wrote:

@donnieyeen

Before RIFE, I used to match the refresh rate with the screen refresh rate. Not anymore.

As I use 2x with RIFE, it is not necessary to match the refresh rate. As RIFE running at 48FPS appears smoother than previous methods at 120FPS.

For reference, I have an LG C2 set to 4K @ 120Hz @ 4:4:4 @ 10Bit, always. VRR Disabled (because with the C2 it causes flickering, it shouldn't with your monitor). If you have VRR, enable it (as it should match the FPS to the variable refresh rate).

You can just set it to 144Hz + GSync, and enable GSync for Windowed and Full Screen from the nVidia Control Panel. That should be fine.

If you watch 1080p content, you can probably push RIFE to 3x or 4x easily with an RTX 4090. I wouldn't push it more than 4x, as you're just creating extra noise from the fans for no reason tbh.

For 4K, I watch 95% of my content at 4K, I have it set to 2x with my RTX 3090.

Thanks for your reply. One issue that I have is, when I try to resize the 4K movies to my resolution which is ultra-wide 3440x1440, not sure how to best do this. if I use MPC-BE and use the Touch window from outside. I am not sure why but many movies will lag whole system and playback, even at 2x. I must have setup something wrong somewhere. How must I set madVR and MPC-BE settings in order to get the proper smooth playback on my resolution which is 3440x1440. Most movies I was are 4k hdr.

908 (edited by dawkinscm 24-10-2023 12:00:20)

Thanks to @Minimunch57 for posting the latest Rife 4.8 update. At one point I saw a massive GPU usage improvement, but that was temporary. With Rife 4.7 there is a clear visual improvement over 4.6. The only difference I see in 4.8 is that the optimization completes in less than a minute as opposed to the 3-5 minutes on previous versions.

909 (edited by Xenocyde 24-10-2023 19:40:47)

dawkinscm wrote:

Thanks to @Minimunch57 for posting the latest Rife 4.8 update. At one point I saw a massive GPU usage improvement, but that was temporary. With Rife 4.7 there is a clear visual improvement over 4.6. The only difference I see in 4.8 is that the optimization completes in less than a minute as opposed to the 3-5 minutes on previous versions.

Can you please post the link?

L.E.: Found in another thread, never mind.

L.E.2: Ah but this is not an onnx file. How do I install this in SVP?

910 (edited by dawkinscm 24-10-2023 20:01:48)

Xenocyde wrote:
dawkinscm wrote:

You can't because you probably found the source files like I did at first. This https://github.com/AmusementClub/vs-mlr … l-20220923 is the link to the onnx files

911 (edited by Xenocyde 24-10-2023 21:49:47)

dawkinscm wrote:
Xenocyde wrote:
dawkinscm wrote:

You can't because you probably found the source files like I did at first. This https://github.com/AmusementClub/vs-mlr … l-20220923 is the link to the onnx files

Thanks for the onnx link! Tested it a bit, some artifacts are still there, but at least it fixes the microstuttering issues from 4.7. Optimization took 1 minute and 5 seconds for me on an RTX 4080.

912 (edited by dawkinscm 24-10-2023 22:55:06)

Xenocyde wrote:
dawkinscm wrote:
Xenocyde wrote:

Thanks for the onnx link! Tested it a bit, some artifacts are still there, but at least it fixes the microstuttering issues from 4.7. Optimization took 1 minute and 5 seconds for me on an RTX 4080.

I have a standard set of test files I use that highlight various issues with interpolation. Rife 4.6 is smooth with fewer artefacts that SVP. But the few artefacts it had were much worse than any seen in non Rife modes. Those nasty artefacts are either gone or very much lessened with 4.7. Rife 4.8 optimization is much faster but nothing else has changed. Except I do get a few more microstutters which is the opposite to what you see. But then my setup is hypersensitive to stutters so I probably see a few more than you or other people.

913 (edited by Minimunch57 26-10-2023 07:04:21)

From my testing comparing v4.6 to v4.8, I only saw the transcoding fps drop by around 3 on average. Not bad. In most cases, artifacts were reduced with the newer model. In rare cases, frames contained new artifacts and are slightly worse than what v4.6 produced. As I said though, this is rare. v4.8 is certainly an overall visual improvement. I did not notice any major difference with my thermals, but I did not measure. I just checked during a v4.8 test and the numbers I was getting seemed similar to what I remember getting previously with v4.6.

It is also worth noting that I measured slight savings in file sizes with the newer v4.8 model. My guess is that this is related to how video data is saved and processed. With less artifacts and random, inconsistent splotches of stray pixels, there are less pixel changes to store between video frames. This leads to minor reductions in the size of the outputted file. On a 3-pass interpolation test, I got a file roughly 10% smaller in size. For normal transcoding usages, I wouldn't expect 10% though. Maybe others can comment on their results and correct me on the logic here if I am wrong.

914 (edited by Uruz7Laevatein 28-10-2023 01:55:22)

Hello guys I'm curious to how a 7800X3D would be able to handle interpolation due to it's 3DVCache and DDR5-6000 Mhz RAM in Dual-Channel,
Would the 3DCache be able to offset the needs of higher bandwidth to 4K120FPS RIFE Interpolation?

Or would I have to wait for a Zen4 Threadripper or get a Xeon W5-2432/3432 CPU?

If anyone else is interested in doing some experimenting and/or testing, I've been trying to use the v2 implementation of rife v4.6. This seems to noticeably improve seek times for me on a 4090 with 4K videos...

According to this the aliasing issue appears to be precision-related (fp16 vs fp32) so I tried using the debug tool in TensorRT to narrow it down to the first 90 layers. Maybe someone who is more knowledgeable can debug further, but I tried creating an .engine file (which you can replace in your cache folder) that uses higher precision for the first 90 layers by running:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Programs\Python\Python39\Scripts\polygraphy.exe convert --convert-to trt --fp16 --trt-min-shapes input:[1,7,2144,3840] --tensor-dtypes input:float16 output:float16  --precision-constraints obey --trt-npps process.py -o path\to\save\your\rife.engine "C:\Program Files (x86)\SVP 4\rife\models\rife_v2\rife_v4.6.onnx"

Note you'll need to install Python support in the Windows TensorRT SDK, then install the polygraphy package in Python, then create process.py which is based on the debug tool:

import tensorrt as trt

def postprocess(network):
    N = 90
    EXCLUDE_LAYER_NAMES = ["CONSTANT"]
    EXCLUDE_LAYERS = [getattr(trt.LayerType, attr) for attr in EXCLUDE_LAYER_NAMES if hasattr(trt.LayerType, attr)]

for index in range(0, N):
        layer = network.get_layer(index)
        def should_exclude():
            has_non_execution_output = any(
                not layer.get_output(i).is_execution_tensor for i in range(layer.num_outputs)
            )
            has_non_activation_output = any(
                layer.get_output(i).dtype not in [trt.float32, trt.float16, trt.int8]
                for i in range(layer.num_outputs)
            )
            return layer.type in EXCLUDE_LAYERS or has_non_execution_output or has_non_activation_output

if not should_exclude():
            layer.precision = trt.float32

916 (edited by dawkinscm 01-11-2023 18:09:45)

Rife 4.9 is out. First I've got "some" GPU peformance back. Before I was peaking at 83% now I'm peaking at 79%. One of my test files no longer shows any artefacts. Another test file shows improvement and the artefact can be mitigated by reducing SC. One related artefact is still present but seems to have slightly improved as well.

Drakko01 wrote:

s Rife 4.9 better or improved for movies in general or only focused on anime, thanks in advance.

They said Rife 4.7 was focused on Anime but it also reduced or removed artefacts from my test movies. Rife 4.9 improves upon 4.7 by removing or reducing more artefacts.

dawkinscm wrote:

Rife 4.9 is out. First I've got "some" GPU peformance back. Before I was peaking at 83% now I'm peaking at 79%. One of my test files no longer shows any artefacts. Another test file shows improvement and the artefact can be mitigated by reducing SC. One related artefact is still present but seems to have slightly improved as well.

s Rife 4.9 better or improved for movies in general or only focused on anime, thanks in advance.

918 (edited by Blackfyre 02-11-2023 03:48:35)

RIFE 4.9 needs to be added to SVP, maybe even as a third option @Chainik

I already added it as a replacement to 4.4 so I can do some testing over the last few hours. There are some great improvements in artifact masking, and unlike version 4.8 (which was a lot more demanding), version 4.9 for example works with my RTX 3090 at 4K without dropping any frames in most scenarios (GPU utilisation though is at 100%, but I do not drop any frames with it, except in some content), so it is still more demanding than version 4.6

Tested a few scenes I have saved, all have improved:

Farm field at the start of Equalizer 3 with the panning shot in the air over the car. The fences flickered before, now they do not flicker.

Season 8 Episode 1 of Game of Thrones, the first few minutes after the intro there are a lot of spikes, arrow helmets, trees, and other factors that introduce artifacts all combined with many panning camera shots, all have improved. Little to no artifacts in those scenes.

Some scenes in the movie Air have improved as well.

Beginning of Tenet there are improvements to fast movements, strings from guitars being broken, etc

However, extremely challenging scenes still show visible artifacts. It's not perfect, but I think 4.9 is a big enough improvement over 4.6 that it warrants being added into SVP as an update. But it shouldn't replace 4.6, because it is more demanding, so preferably as its own option as a 3rd selectable.

919 (edited by reynbow 02-11-2023 11:23:44)

dawkinscm wrote:
Xenocyde wrote:
dawkinscm wrote:

Where do you put these files?

Nvm. Am dumb. Found it.

C:\Program Files (x86)\SVP 4\rife\models\rife

920 (edited by Drakko01 02-11-2023 13:03:45)

Blackfyre wrote:

RIFE 4.9 needs to be added to SVP, maybe even as a third option @Chainik

I think the same. I tested and see some improvements in some scenes. @Chainik, if more users request it, do you consider doing it?

maybe worth waiting for 4.10 and 4.11? big_smile

reynbow wrote:
dawkinscm wrote:
Xenocyde wrote:

Nvm. Am dumb. Found it.

I downloaded the fles on the link but they don't show up as an option in the drop down menu. How do I enable 4.9?

923 (edited by Xenocyde 03-11-2023 08:11:51)

thericeking wrote:
reynbow wrote:
dawkinscm wrote:

Nvm. Am dumb. Found it.

I downloaded the fles on the link but they don't show up as an option in the drop down menu. How do I enable 4.9?

If you rename 4.9 to 4.4 and replace the existing 4.4, it will work with the 4.4 option in the dropdown.

924 (edited by scb 03-11-2023 11:20:54)

Hello,

I'm fortunate enough to have a laptop with a 12GB 4080 in and I've been using SVP to playback 4k HDR videos (resized to 1440p) in real time @ 48fps with RIFE, which like another poster has said, looks smoother than 'Automatic @ 120fps'.

I've been exploring using SVPcode to do all the calculations up front. SDR colour space content works fine, but I notice that with HDR sources, SVPcode arranges a tonemapping rather than preserving the HDR colourspace. Is this an innate limitation of SVPcode?

I was hoping that because SVP could do the HDR processing in realtime, that SVPcode could essentially do the same thing in batch for watching on other devices later?

925 (edited by dawkinscm 03-11-2023 15:45:16)

The simplest way to install a new Rife model is to copy the Rife onnx file to the SVP rife directory then modify the rife_trt_model property under the video profiles options settings in SVP.

I decided to compare Rife 4.9 v1 with Rife 4.9 v2. The good news is that as expected seek speed is almost instantaneous seeking and for me it uses about 4 percent less GPU than v1.  However, even though it technically uses a little less GPU power, my GPU temps went up about 4 degrees. BTW I don't watch 4K with Rife, but so far I haven't seen any resolution issues with v2.