1 (edited by foxmlg 01-10-2023 15:00:55)

Topic: RIFE - Feature Request - % Slider for Alter frame size

I started using RIFE.
And If I want to do more than 2x, I would need to use the Alter frame size feature to Decrease the resolution from 1080p.
But I feel like decreasing to 720p is overkill.

I'd like to have more options between 1080p and 720p.
Or a % slider to choose a resolution would be even better.

Another thing is, the current RIFE Scene change detection is really bad.
If I want it to be smooth all the time, I need it at 15%.
But then the scene changes are really bad.

Is there any possiblity of implementing the scene change detection the normal SVP uses?
I find that one quite good.
Also the option to blend adjacent frames on scene changes would be nice to have on RIFE as well, since it would help with smoothness when it detects false scene changes.

Thank you.

Re: RIFE - Feature Request - % Slider for Alter frame size

> I'd like to have more options between 1080p and 720p
Select decrease size to 720p.
Then open All settings and find setting frc.frame.resize
You will see value -12800720. You can enter your value. Format is -wwwwhhhh, where wwww - width, hhhh - heigth in pixels.

> Another thing is, the current RIFE Scene change detection
You can adjust it manually the same way. Find and change value of setting rife_sc of profile RIFE AI engine.

4 (edited by dawkinscm 01-10-2023 16:45:46)

foxmlg wrote:

Another thing is, the current RIFE Scene change detection is really bad.
If I want it to be smooth all the time, I need it at 15%.
But then the scene changes are really bad.

MAG79 wrote:

You can adjust it manually the same way. Find and change value of setting rife_sc of profile RIFE AI engine.

I've done that but it doesn't help because whatever number you set causes issues with Rife. Set it one way and it fixes certain issues like double imaging but then freezes on scene changes. Set it another way to stop the scene detection freezing but then certain scenes have double images. Even if I manually set it differently for each show I still end up with the same issues. Rife is the best for smooth playback and usually with less artefacts. But it's artefacts and issues when they do occur are much worse than non Rife solutions.

5 (edited by foxmlg 02-10-2023 00:04:26)

MAG79 wrote:

> I'd like to have more options between 1080p and 720p
Select decrease size to 720p.
Then open All settings and find setting frc.frame.resize
You will see value -12800720. You can enter your value. Format is -wwwwhhhh, where wwww - width, hhhh - heigth in pixels.

Awesome. That works smile

MAG79 wrote:

Well, adjusting it isnt the issue.
It's how the algorithm works. However it works, it's simply bad.
The normal SVP scene change detection works much better, and I'd love a similar one in RIFE. smile

If it's not possible to implement the same scene change detection algorithm of the normal SVP in RIFE,
Then a good start would be to also add the "Processing of scene changes" option to choose between "Repeat frame" and "Blend adjacent frames" into RIFE.
This way, we could use normal blending to still get some smoothness when it detects false scene changes if we set the scene change treshold lower.
And with real scene changes, its way better than when RIFE interpolates it.