1 (edited by joaoserraseal 11-12-2022 17:08:26)

Topic: Just sharing my opinion about VLC with SVP

Not that anyone asked for it...
I Love SVP but i'm considering in researching for an alternative.

I think the biggest issue in SVP is the installation/integration and persistence of the SVP files.

Each time theres an update on the selected player we need to reinstall the SVP (at least seems that way to me)

And SVP interface doesnt seem to provide an "easy to set" instalation either.

For instance,
I just open a file with VLC to find out SVP was not running... so I had to go to wiki and figure out that i need to set some system variables? or is that user variables? (either way didnt work)
and I've found out that SVP interface has a button to run VLC with SVP, but I don't quite understand why...

Why not  have a button to do all those instalation (set system variables) steps that are in the Wiki automatically instead opening VLC with SVP instead
surely i imagina its as hard to set those variables as it is to open VLC with SVP (simple enough?)

Also not sure about limitations or restrictions, or how things are mounted in the Apps, but why to manually add system variables if there are VLC plugins ?
I know many of these apps what to use their own libraries... but then why not have a scan that search for these dlls in their default folders and replace them automatically with SVP (or just add a check box so the user can choose)

well i just want to give me opinion, and maybe some dev want to share some details on their approach, if its not TOP Secret big_smile

P.S. I had to do my own batch files and shortcuts to make it a little bit easier to use... I dont want to get home after a work day and reinstall stuff all the time... so I end up making my own scripts.

Re: Just sharing my opinion about VLC with SVP

> Why not  have a button to do all those instalation (set system variables)

menu -> Utilities -> Set environment variable for Vapoursynth

> why to manually add system variables if there are VLC plugins ?

because this is how Python works, we can do nothing about it

> has a button to run VLC with SVP, but I don't quite understand why

to quickly run VLC with all needed things set up for this particular process, w/o altering system-wide settings that can break other Python installations and/or apps using other Python versions in the system

Re: Just sharing my opinion about VLC with SVP

Thank you for taking your time to explain it to me,
and sorry if it might sound like I'm criticizing
just to clarify I'M NOT saying how you should do your job, I'm a developer but I work in other area(mobile) and I have no idea how to work with python right now.

But I'd love to hear from more people if anyone has more ideas how to make the installation process less troublesome.(brainstorm)

I mainly use plex although I would love to have SVP running by default everywhere