Topic: Dolby Vision Content and latest MPV Player.

According to the reddit post below this should be possible using the latest MPV and GPU Next (It's not actually using Dolby Vision but strips out the per scene meta data and solves the purple tint issue). Id very much like to use this as my Tablet and TV both support DV but my PC does not. This way my plex server only needs one copy of any HDR media.
Unfortunately I'm pretty new to all of this, has anyone tried it with success at the same time as SVP?

https://www.reddit.com/r/htpc/comments/ … urce=share

2 (edited by Imee 18-04-2022 16:52:24)

Re: Dolby Vision Content and latest MPV Player.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/app/9 … rementstab
PotPlayer x64 with SVP 4 work DoVi big_smile

Imee wrote:

My HDR monitor is not compatible with DV does this method work on a normal HDR10 monitior?

I'm not having much luck so far.

if you expect this to work in Plex - don't

GPU Next vs GPU
Known limitations / missing options
Not yet implemented
libmpv integration (#9475)

with the plain mpv - why shouldn't it work with SVP enabled?

Not trying to use plex as a player.

I can't seem to get GPU next to activate on mpv.

Mardon85 wrote:
Imee wrote:

My HDR monitor is not compatible with DV does this method work on a normal HDR10 monitior?

I'm not having much luck so far.

It must work. In PotPlayer, leave the video viewer on automatic. Because if you set it to Direct3D11 manually, the image turns purple. Automatically set it to Direct3D9 and you can enjoy the Dolbi Vision effect on your PC. Miles different than a normal bluray movie. More vivid and clear, more realistic. This little add-on I linked to allows it to work in the built-in media player, MPV and PotPlayer under windows 11. You can also install Dolby Vision sound, but it's paid for in the Windows store, so I'm not linking to it, not advertising it, just that you can set up PotPlayer to get the DV sound effect you want. Working in conjunction with SVP, PotPlayer can provide the frame rate to match your monitor, and if you're using an HDR monitor, 10-bit colour depth. (I'm not a professional user and I'm not a tester, I'm just an average IT guy who likes to watch movies with his family in the best picture quality in the evening.)

Sorry just to be 100% clear. Is this on a none dolby vision monitor?

yes

Imee wrote:

yes

OK thanks I'll try some more with it.

10 (edited by damienbt 23-04-2022 09:42:20)

Hi, great news it works great with MPV
I have a couple of questions though :
1/ Is this real dolby vision decoding and converted on the fly to standard hdr with preserved dynamic metadata ? because the previous solution with madvr wasn't able to decode dolby vision, it was "just" an hdr optimization with frame by frame analysis and static hdr metadata. Also full dolby vision support requires an additional hevc decoder to decode the FEL layer (full enhancement layer) but very few movies carry it.
2/ Is MPC-HC compatible with this solution ? I have read that it requires to use the new libplacebo from ffmpeg

EDIT : I don't understand the use of it. From the reddit post "So the special DV/HDR10+ dynamic scene by scene metadata will get lost/ignored, but i'm not even sure those are used much outside of testfiles?". It is just a fallback solution to avoid purple colors with tone mapping on dolby vision video files that don't carry a HDR10 fallback stream, but the guy from the post may have misunderstood

I have installed the Dolby Vision extensions but I still have the purple tint issue. Tried all players installed on a none-DoVi compatible monitor.

12 (edited by damienbt 24-04-2022 09:13:02)

straumli wrote:

I have installed the Dolby Vision extensions but I still have the purple tint issue. Tried all players installed on a none-DoVi compatible monitor.

This problem is not related to the monitor : you didn't get the right version of MPV or didn't configure it correctly
On my side MPC-HC, MPC-BE and VLC render a purplish picture in dolby vision videos that don't have a HDR10/HLG fallback stream.
MPV works though, wether I use a dolby vision display or not (but HDR compatible in both cases).

1/ Create a %APPDATA%\mpv\mpv.conf file

# this is required for SVP to "catch" the mpv
input-ipc-server=mpvpipe
hwdec=nvdec-copy
#hwdec=auto-copy
hwdec-codecs=all
hr-seek-framedrop=no
vo=gpu-next
target-prim=bt.2020
target-trc=pq
gamma=5

2/ Enable HDR from windows 10/11 from windows settings System > Screen > HDR. Select the external screen (not the internal display) and enable HDR

3/ While having your external display plugged in : you have to set the graphic cards to output in 10 or 12 bits mode. See the capture below from nvidia control panel

4/ In SVP settings, set "Allow output in 10 bit color depth" set to always
https://www.svp-team.com/forum/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=5390&download=0

Post's attachments

Nvidiacontrolpanel.png 160.5 kb, 67 downloads since 2022-04-24 

note: 8bit vs. 10bit in SVP is not strictly required for HDR playback.

damienbt wrote:
straumli wrote:

This problem is not related to the monitor : you didn't get the right version of MPV or didn't configure it correctly
On my side MPC-HC, MPC-BE and VLC render a purplish picture in dolby vision videos that don't have a HDR10/HLG fallback stream.
MPV works though, wether I use a dolby vision display or not (but HDR compatible in both cases).

1/ Create a %APPDATA%\mpv\mpv.conf file

input-ipc-server=mpvpipe
hwdec=nvdec-copy
#hwdec=auto-copy
hwdec-codecs=all
hr-seek-framedrop=no
vo=gpu-next
target-prim=bt.2020
target-trc=pq
gamma=5

2/ Enable HDR from windows 10/11 from windows settings System > Screen > HDR. Select the external screen (not the internal display) and enable HDR

3/ While having your external display plugged in : you have to set the graphic cards to output in 10 or 12 bits mode. See the capture below from nvidia control panel

4/ In SVP settings, set "Allow output in 10 bit color depth" set to always
https://www.svp-team.com/forum/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=5390&download=0

Thanks for this info. I'll try it tonight!

I don't have a HDR monitor, but I can still play DoVi properly. But only with PotPlayer + SVP4.
PotPlayer config file: https://mega.nz/file/U4ty2AgI#-2dKYDMG2 … IpcTF9VqFg

16 (edited by straumli 25-04-2022 18:46:39)

I try playout on a none-HDR monitor using a freshly downloaded and installed MVP (mpv-x86_64-20220424-git-9d133eb)
I also installed latest VapourSynth + filter and I created your conf file but purple haze issue remains.

Yup i'm having no luck ether. I have the Dolby Vision plugin from the M$ store.

I've got the following version of MPV "mpv-x86_64-20220417-git-305332f" which I've copied (and overwritten where applicable) to the following location: C:\Program Files (x86)\SVP 4\mpv64

I've then accessed the MPV config file via Right click Information>Additional Information

My log file is as follows:

#
# THIS FILE WILL BE OVERWRITTEN WITH THE PACKAGE UPDATE
# Use %APPDATA%/mpv/mpv.conf
# OR SVP's menu -> Information -> Add. information -> mpv config. file
#     to define your own customized configuration
#
# Sample mpv configuration
#

input-ipc-server=mpvpipe

# hardware video decoder
hwdec=auto-copy
hwdec-codecs=all

# high quality video output, require rather fast video card
#profile=gpu-hq

# D3D11 renderer (default) is required for the HDR playback
#gpu-api=d3d11

# use VULKAN API if you have problems with the default d3d11 renderer
#gpu-api=vulkan

# miscellaneous options

# comment this one if you want mpv to remember the playback position
save-position-on-quit=yes

# fixes audio desync
hr-seek-framedrop=yes
ii

#log-file=mpv.log
input-ipc-server=mpvpipe
hwdec=nvdec-copy
#hwdec=auto-copy
hwdec-codecs=all
hr-seek-framedrop=no
vo=gpu-next
target-prim=bt.2020
target-trc=pq
gamma=5

Any ideas where i'm going wrong?

Monitor is in 10Bit HDR mode.

18 (edited by straumli 26-04-2022 08:16:06)

straumli wrote:

I try playout on a none-HDR monitor using a freshly downloaded and installed MVP (mpv-x86_64-20220424-git-9d133eb)
I also installed latest VapourSynth + filter and I created your conf file but purple haze issue remains.

When I enable the RIFE engine the purple haze is gone but it also throws an error in the log:
https://img001.prntscr.com/file/img001/bU-zEv_zStSTnE_4ADPJog.png

Guess I messed things up with the manual installations of vapoursynth filters?

Full log: https://pastebin.com/hBKW1y5h

19 (edited by damienbt 26-04-2022 09:05:42)

I don't use RIFE engine. I just selected in SVP options GPU acceleration on Nvidia + optical flow enabled instead of my integrated Intel GPU.
Also check that HDR is enabled in windows. I have Windows 11 and the native windows player render the video correctly
At least this one : http://media.developer.dolby.com/DolbyV … 00kbps.mp4
OK with MPV / native windows player (which relies on windows media foundation not directshow so not compatible with SVP)
Purplish with VLC, MPC-HC, MPC-BE

and wether I play it on a HDR screen (integrated laptop panel) or a dolby vision Oled TV

You can check the colorspace and output info by pressing "I" while playing the video from MPV
I can see that I have bt2020 output for instance

> Guess I messed things up with the manual installations of vapoursynth filters?

yes you did big_smile
vapoursynth64\plugins\MiscFilters.dll

Chainik wrote:

> Guess I messed things up with the manual installations of vapoursynth filters?

yes you did big_smile

i was afraid of that :-)

What do you mean with

missing vapoursynth plugin

Chainik wrote:

missing vapoursynth plugin

Only this one? Or do I need to install more?

Bundle of most plugins available: https://github.com/theChaosCoder/vapour … ses/tag/r6

how do we confirm if its working?