Topic: SVP for Android

Released version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … vpteam.svp

=============

2 (edited by damienbt 25-06-2021 16:28:41)

Re: SVP for Android

Hi Chainik,

current shield tv pro (2019) with tegra soc won’t make it either ?
I would be interested to test it.
Last shield was released at the end of 2019 so one may expect a new one at the end of this year but I doubt it.

This is a very good news though as android devices especially those with android TV are much more comfortable to use than a pc !

> current shield tv pro (2019) with tegra soc won’t make it either ?

it's still on Android 9, isn't it?
and this "tegra soc" is the very same one as in 2015' shield

Hello, I would like to TEST the SVP for Android. I have a dimensity 1200 and SD 855 device. And SD 888 one too, but it has memc built in. I have been using SVP for 4-5 months.

Release: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … vpteam.svp

Thanks! Damn it's packing features for a ver 1.0!

Using all default settings plus allow 10 bit
SD 888 I can play 4k at 120 fps
Scores: cpu:22xx gpu: 11xx
Dimensity 1200 can just barely manage to play 4k at 48 with minor stutter.
Scores: cpu:22xx gpu: 438

But I notice that the max cpu usage I get on Dimensity is 40-50% and it's stuttering.

With SD888 its flawless with cpu usage being 8-15% even at 120 fps.

>  play 4k

note it's downscaled to FullHD by default (!)

do you really see any difference between 4k and 1080p on a phone screen? wink

btw, CPU usage may mean almost nothing with all these big-little CPUs
if you want real cpu/gpu load you should use vendor-specific tools, such as Developer options -> GPUWatch on Samsungs

Chainik wrote:

>  play 4k

note it's downscaled to FullHD by default (!)

do you really see any difference between 4k and 1080p on a phone screen? wink

btw, CPU usage may mean almost nothing with all these big-little CPUs
if you want real cpu/gpu load you should use vendor-specific tools, such as Developer options -> GPUWatch on Samsungs

Yes. I'm aware of the 4k to hd down scale. But it makes absolutely no difference in visual quality. I just checked with the tools on my phone. It seems all my 8 cores go max upto 2 GHz. While there are 3 cores that can go upto 2.76 GHz and one that can go to 3 GHz.

> It seems all my 8 cores go max upto 2 GHz. While there are 3 cores that can go upto 2.76 GHz and one that can go to 3 GHz.

This is feature, not a bug big_smile it can go to 3 GHz only for a brief moment, it can't work on that level for hours.
SVP works in a "sustained performance mode".
https://source.android.com/devices/tech … erformance

We could add a "secret" switch for not requesting this mode, just for testing purposes...

Chainik wrote:

> It seems all my 8 cores go max upto 2 GHz. While there are 3 cores that can go upto 2.76 GHz and one that can go to 3 GHz.

This is feature, not a bug big_smile it can go to 3 GHz only for a brief moment, it can't work on that level for hours.
SVP works in a "sustained performance mode".
https://source.android.com/devices/tech … erformance

We could add a "secret" switch for not requesting this mode, just for testing purposes...

Ohh. That switch would be great to check out what gains can be made.But I can understand, it does tax the CPUs as both my 888 mi 11x pro and poco f3 GT with dim 1200 do seem to start throttling after 20 odd mins with choppy playback. But I haven't noticed exuberant battery drain yet.

Sorry for being off-topic but is it possible to make an iOS version as well?

12 (edited by Keiki 21-08-2021 04:21:13)

Nice realease!, I was hopping for this for so long.

Just come to comment that the only issue that I found is that the player cannot play videos with 10 Bit depth, its show a green screen. I checked already the "Allow output in 10-bit color depth" box in the player settings, but still the same results.

Maybe I can share de Mediainfo.txt from the videos to help to find the issue ?

13 (edited by Firesale 21-08-2021 06:26:33)

Works on a nvidia Shield Pro 2019?

> Works on a nvidia Shield Pro 2019?

nope
mainly because Shield doesn't have OpenCL

Keiki

> he player cannot play videos with 10 Bit depth, its show a green screen

works on my test videos... you probably have to turn off HW decoder
but I found another issue - "10 bit output" just doesn't work, it always converts everything to 8-bit now

Chainik wrote:

Keiki

> he player cannot play videos with 10 Bit depth, its show a green screen

works on my test videos... you probably have to turn off HW decoder
but I found another issue - "10 bit output" just doesn't work, it always converts everything to 8-bit now

That indeed solves the problem, now works just fine. Looking foward to further updates big_smile

Great turning off hardware deciding improves performance on some videos which were struggling at 60 fps. 1080p hevc ones

18 (edited by JLoGukA 23-08-2021 18:30:51)

Hello everyone! I have Poco f2 pro. Recently deleted the app and now I cannot install it from market because it says that my phone is not compatible with the app. Wonder why?

no idea hmm
Google Play console says POCO F2 Pro is supported

try to clear Google Play's cache

Long time user here, first time forum poster. Great job on the Android app so far! It runs pretty well on my test device, the Smartphone for Snapdragon Insiders (SD888).

NHS2008
> We could add a "secret" switch for not requesting this mode, just for testing purposes...

see 'main.dev.sustained_perf' --> set to 'false'

22 (edited by NHS2008 26-08-2021 14:27:20)

Chainik wrote:

NHS2008
> We could add a "secret" switch for not requesting this mode, just for testing purposes...

see 'main.dev.sustained_perf' --> set to 'false'

I did that, it didn't change anything for me. 4 cores get pegged to 1.91 and others are in all over the place upto 1.91 GHz but one that goes upto 2.48 GHz.

I'm mostly playing with slider 3 right points from the performance end. And as per req. Turn on or off Hardware decoding. Works good.

Would be cool to have a recents menu. That would save me a trip to my file browser or dlna app. & A touch lock button to avoid accidental swipes.

It wont convert from 60fps, is there a way to set source framerate like on pc?