Topic: DXVA2 or D3D11?

On the MPC-HC tutorial says to use DXVA2 (copy-back) on LAV video decoder. I used D3D11 Native to test and I think it is working ok.

Should I change to DXVA2? I read on some forums that D3D11 is a better choice, that is why I used it before start using SVP.

Re: DXVA2 or D3D11?

D3D11 decodes frames from video stream and leaves them in video memory.
SVP needs these frames in operational memory. So, you need to use decoder that copies frames from video to operational memory.

These hardware decoders are:
DXVA2 (copy-back)
NVIDIA CUVID
Intel QuickSync

More universal decoder is DXVA2 (copy-back)

I have some random video glitches like a few repeated frames during playback, but when using only software decoder I get smooth video. I think I had this with mpv and with mpchc.

MAG79 wrote:

D3D11 decodes frames from video stream and leaves them in video memory.
SVP needs these frames in operational memory. So, you need to use decoder that copies frames from video to operational memory.

These hardware decoders are:
DXVA2 (copy-back)
NVIDIA CUVID
Intel QuickSync

More universal decoder is DXVA2 (copy-back)

This is strange, because as I said, it is working with D3D11. Do you know why?

You can see that I'm running D3D11 Native and it is working

https://imgur.com/a/yIxxmPy

"Active decoder: d3d11 cb"

"cb" is "copy-back"

Chainik wrote:

"Active decoder: d3d11 cb"

"cb" is "copy-back"

I didn't know. So, it works with d3d11 cb. What is the best choice here?

jbiribi
> What is the best choice here?
I need to compare it myself. I didn't use d3d11 cb before and I don't know the real difference with DXVA2 cb.
Do you see the difference?

MAG79 wrote:

jbiribi
> What is the best choice here?
I need to compare it myself. I didn't use d3d11 cb before and I don't know the real difference with DXVA2 cb.
Do you see the difference?

I read that D3D11 uses DirectX 11 and DXVA2 uses DirectX 9, but they both should work similar. I personally can't see a real difference in quality or performance, I asked because I thought one could perform better with SVP than the other. Thanks.