Topic: Advise for 4K 60FPS hardware

Hi,

I am looking after a cheap config to make SVP work with 4K HDR around 60FPS
Can someone advise me some minimal config to make it work flawlessly ?
It works like a charm with my laptop with RTX 2070, but could it be the same with a recent Intel NUC for instance ?
The FAQ seems outdated and does not precise which setup per usage

Thank you for your feedback

Re: Advise for 4K 60FPS hardware

Hi,

I also have a same question. I have a old dell E7470 laptop now, that works fine with 1080p material, but I recently purchased a 4k projector, so I need to build a new home theater PC. Would be Interested, what kind of processor and grapchics card I'd need for 24 -> 60FPS 4k video.

As said in user manual the hardware requirements for 4K:

Minimum CPU requirements: Intel Core i7 (4 cores)
Recommended CPU requirements: Intel Core i7 (6 cores), AMD Ryzen 7 (8 cores)

It is general advice. Of course the best solution is to check yourself your file with your hardware. If you have opportunity to get it home for test.
CPU load and GPU load must be below 90% while playback. Test duration 60 seconds minimum to detect is overheating and throttling are happen.

4 (edited by damienbt 26-07-2021 09:34:06)

MAG79 wrote:

As said in user manual the hardware requirements for 4K:

Minimum CPU requirements: Intel Core i7 (4 cores)
Recommended CPU requirements: Intel Core i7 (6 cores), AMD Ryzen 7 (8 cores)

It is general advice. Of course the best solution is to check yourself your file with your hardware. If you have opportunity to get it home for test.
CPU load and GPU load must be below 90% while playback. Test duration 60 seconds minimum to detect is overheating and throttling are happen.

Hi,
thanks for these precisions however can you confirm that a dedicated GPU is necessary for 4K (not the iGPU) ?
My 4K videos stutter with my 10th Core i7 CPU and Intel UHD graphics but this may be due to my laptop architecture with the integrated panel. I'll make a test by plugging the laptop to the TV and forcing the intel GPU in the video decoder + in SVP

EDIT : I made the test => Core I7 10th gen CPU+iGPU is not enough for 4K 60FPS
So a dedicated GPU is necessary such as a RTX 2060 or maybe less

5 (edited by dlr5668 29-07-2021 06:41:43)

for 4k 10bit high FPS you need either RTX or fast ram. I had problems until I OC my RAM to 3800. I have 5900x

Thank you all for your replies.
I have now ordered a new media-pc to replace my old laptop. 5900X, 16GB, GTX1660 (might upgrade this to 2070 later).

Anyways, one more question:

Are there any PROs or CONs running multiple GPUs on a machine that runs SVP, or will SVP simply use the most potent one?

Your GPUs can be used for:
- video decoding
- SVP-calculating while inserting interoilated frames in video
- video processing while render video in player
- video encoding

So, you can use different GPUs for each of these tasks.

dlr5668 wrote:

for 4k 10bit high FPS you need either RTX or fast ram. I had problems until I OC my RAM to 3800. I have 5900x

Hi there!
Could you please refere to Blackfyre topic?

https://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6081

Can 5900x handle Vector Precision at HALF Pixel and Vector Grid at 4px ???

MAG79 wrote:

Your GPUs can be used for:
- video decoding
- SVP-calculating while inserting interoilated frames in video
- video processing while render video in player
- video encoding

So, you can use different GPUs for each of these tasks.

Is normal see  artifacts in video with resolution 2160p but not in 1080p?

10 (edited by Fadexz 17-09-2021 04:57:18)

A bit late but as far as I could tell you mainly just need a good CPU assuming everything else is decent.

I would guess you would need at least a Ryzen 7 3700X or Ryzen 5 5600X but something slightly better may be better to ensure it works.

Seems like a Ryzen 9 5950X can do 4K 120 fps just, I haven't overclocked or anything though but it only uses a few threads (maybe 8 threads) so that's why it's so hard to run I guess.

I usually downscale to 1440p though as I don't have a 4K screen

I have found that GTX 1660 Super works with NVOF which significantly reduces CPU requirements.  The GPU is capable of smooth 4k60 playback on mpv under linux.