Topic: Weird behavior with integrated laptop panel

Hi,

I have a weird behavior with SVP. I have a gigabyte laptop with integrated 4K OLED panel, 10th gen CPU and nvidia RTX 2070.

1/ When connecting though HDMI port the laptop to a 4K TV or projector : SVP works like a charm with any kind of videos. 4K HDR videos are fluid while playing them at 60FPS
2/ When using the integrated panel and the exact same configuration, videos are unwatchable : they look like slow motion and stutter heavily.

I thought that the nvidia GPU was not used but it is the case. Configured with MPC-BE with madvr and avisynth
I suspect the OLED panel to be the cause but I don't know why.
Here is a capture of madvr info on it. If you have any advise or clue thank you

Post's attachments

gigabyte-oled-panel-madvr.png, 166.51 kb, 675 x 790
gigabyte-oled-panel-madvr.png 166.51 kb, 178 downloads since 2021-07-17 

Re: Weird behavior with integrated laptop panel

I really doubt it's because the screen is OLED.
Show the log, maybe something suspicious there...

3 (edited by t.setsuna 17-07-2021 19:42:34)

I think it is because the laptop panel is connected directly to the integrated gpu, even though the Nvidia gpu is decoding it, the video still has to be sent back to the iGPU to display the video and most of the time iGPU is not strong enough to display it. If your laptop has a mux swith, you can disable optimus so the laptop will only use the dedicated gpu

t.setsuna wrote:

I think it is because the laptop panel is connected directly to the integrated gpu, even though the Nvidia gpu is decoding it, the video still has to be sent back to the iGPU to display the video and most of the time iGPU is not strong enough to display it. If your laptop has a mux swith, you can disable optimus so the laptop will only use the dedicated gpu

Hi setsuna, thanks for the hint, I think this should be the cause. However even when I force the player to use the nvidia dGPU it does not change anything. I think it always get back to the intel GPU to display the frames

Hi Chainik, here are some logs, I don't know if this is enough/useful.
Thanks

Post's attachments

active.log 6.62 kb, 273 downloads since 2021-07-18 

app-config.txt 18.56 kb, 856 downloads since 2021-07-18 

5 (edited by t.setsuna 18-07-2021 12:22:59)

damienbt wrote:
t.setsuna wrote:

Hi setsuna, thanks for the hint, I think this should be the cause. However even when I force the player to use the nvidia dGPU it does not change anything. I think it always get back to the intel GPU to display the frames

Hi Chainik, here are some logs, I don't know if this is enough/useful.
Thanks

This is not something you can swith with software because the screen is physically connected to the iGPU. You need to check if your laptop has a mux switch or not. Usually there is an option in the bios to disable hybrid display/optimus. If your laptop doesn’t have one, the only choice is to use the external monitor through hdmi or display port because these ports are connected directly to the nvidia gpu