1 (edited by Mahonroy 09-06-2021 00:53:54)

Topic: New To SVP 4 Pro - Having A Couple Problems - Bad Artifacts

Hey guys, I am brand new to SVP 4 Pro and am having a hard time figuring out a couple of things. I would greatly appreciate any help or advice from you guys.

My setup consists of a Plex Server, and Roku Ultra's for the clients. My library mainly consists of 1080p, 24FPS content. I recently built a home theater, and noticed a lot of motion judder. I experimented with the projectors built in frame interpolation and this solves the problem. The downside is that I can't use any of the 4K enhancements that the projector has, and the built in frame interpolation is just OK, even on a medium setting has a lot of distracting artifacts.

My intention is to convert my 1080p 24FPS library, over to 48FPS, and use that with Plex. I can then have the roku output 4K, and the projector can use the 4K upscaling and detail enhancements. I am also hoping that SVP will handle the frame interpolation better.

Right out of the box, I tested the movie Oblivion. I have not changed any settings within SVP yet. Watching it on MPC-HC with SVP enabled, it actually looked pretty good. I then transcoded it, and watched the transcoded version. The transcoded version has really bad artifacts that consist of dark squares. Here is an example of the artifacts, and they happen very frequently:
(I can't figure out how to embed my image attachment. If you scroll down look at my image attachment to see)

I want to reiterate that the one that SVP was doing in real time did not have those artifacts, so I am a bit confused.
Under video profile, I have the default settings of Automatic, "Movie X2", Artifacts Masking "Medium", etc.
I also did not change anything under the transcoding menu.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the advanced settings. The SVP online manual says this: "To switch to manual mode, turn off the Automatic options selection mode.". I can't figure out how to do this and was never able to get the manual settings to show up.

I'm also confused about this... are the "Video Profiles" the same exact profiles that are used for transcoding? If so, how come they look completely different when watching real time SVP, versus transcoding? I figured the transcoded version would actually be better, since it doesn't have the constraint of doing it in real time. This was not the case.

Thanks again, and any help or advice is appreciated! Remember this is my first time using SVP so I am still trying to figure everything out.

Post's attachments

SVP-artifacts.jpg 103.7 kb, 64 downloads since 2021-06-08 

Re: New To SVP 4 Pro - Having A Couple Problems - Bad Artifacts

these artifacts are from the encoder, not from SVP's interpolation

Chainik wrote:

these artifacts are from the encoder, not from SVP's interpolation

Thanks for the info!
What should I do?
Do I just slide the "Quality and Bitrate" slider all the way to the right? Its currently at CRF18.
So in this case I am guessing the video profiles that run real time the same settings for transcoding?

h264 or h265 encoder?

> What should I do?

I wish I knew what encoder option is causing this on some files...

Chainik wrote:

h264 or h265 encoder?

> What should I do?

The encoder type is set to the default of "H.264 (AVC)" - Software. And the Quality and bitrate is set to default of "CRF 18"

Chainik wrote:

h264 or h265 encoder?

> What should I do?

I tried the h265 software this time, and it looks good. No black squares. The only downside is it took like 10 times longer to transcode.

Do I just need to slide the "Quality and bitrate" slider more to the right? Is there anything I can do to speed up the h265 transcode time?

Thanks again for the help.