Topic: Feedback on "AviSynth Filter"

First: Thanks for including me in the "AviSynth Filter" test people group, made the change today.
It did not work at first, and thanks to your wiki-page, I found the reason:
Even though I did let it install via SVP, and not manually, SVP did not set the registry key in HKCU. Even complete removal and reinstall did not set it. So I set RemoteControl = 1 in the registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\AviSynthFilter.
Result: Works like a charm. Instead of taking about a second to switch to high framerate, as with ffmpeg, it instantly starts at high framerate with FullHD, and near instantly with 4K input. That includes seeking, which is now a lot more stable. With ffmpeg there was always a chance for MPC to get stuck.
A fix might be: Check for that value when SVP-Manage starts, and recommend to set it when the AviSynth method was installed (i.e. ask "Should I set it?).

Re: Feedback on "AviSynth Filter"

dunno hmm
the "Avisynth Filter" installer script sets all the registry values on installation/update
and I just checked - it really does

3 (edited by dejavecue 14-01-2021 14:43:18)

Only saw this topic today, but I have to say wow.
How is it that the Avisynth Filter needs so much fewer resources than the ffdshow raw filter? It is night and day.

Looks very good to me and my GPU doesn't exceed 55°C (Tjunction) when doing 1080p@155fps on 1440p screen

Edit: Oh and speaking of performance uplift: Can this be used for transcoding?

> needs so much fewer resources than the ffdshow raw filter?

mmm... not sure this is really happening big_smile memory consumption may differ somehow, not the performance

Chainik wrote:

> needs so much fewer resources than the ffdshow raw filter?

mmm... not sure this is really happening big_smile memory consumption may differ somehow, not the performance

Hmm, maybe it is placebo, but with the exact same settings my 6800 does go 10°C higher in temps on the normal SVP configuration than with the Avisynth filter.

For me, the subtitle renderer, XySubFilter, keeps crashing on heavy typesetting scenes. The scenes would only frame drop/lag when using the ffdshow filter.

Xterminator
>  on heavy typesetting scenes

it'd be great if you could provide a sample

I was watching [GJM] Kaguya-sama ~Love is War~ S2 - 09. It crashes around the 4:48 mark, but only if you start watching from the beginning. If you skip directly to that time, it'll play through it fine with no problems, but another scene will cause it to crash. The other times are 17:18 and 22:17.

>  It crashes around the 4:48 mark, but only if you start watching from the beginning

can't reproduce. no crashes, no drops/lags at these timecodes, cpu usage always below 20%

I seem to have found my problem. The CPU/GPU queue sizes and frames to present in advance settings I set in madVR were too big. I changed them back to the default and it doesn't crash anymore. big_smile
I was suspecting a memory problem, but forgot about the settings I had in madVR.