1 (edited by catav 30-07-2020 04:49:08)

Topic: SVP artifacts with madVR

Still seeing artifacts around fast moving objects (4K HDR), even with 2080Ti, I7-9700K, 16Gb. Wondering if the artifacts would be reduced by an RTX “30xx” GPU at 40% more power? Or is it a frame interpolation algorithm issue that isn’t helped with more GPU power.

Any SVP developer reply would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Re: SVP artifacts with madVR

It is a feature of interpolation algorithm used.

catav wrote:

Wondering if the artifacts would be reduced by an RTX “30xx” GPU at 40% more power?.

You're not going to have better artifact masking from how powerful a GPU is, so a 3080 Ti, 2080 Ti, 1080 Ti, 980 Ti will all perform the same on SVP.

The RTX series introduced nVidia Optical Flow, I disable it and use my own settings in SVP because even though it takes a lot of the load away from the CPU, it does introduce more artifacts compared to using my own custom settings with stock SVP.

So unless a new technology is introduced by nVidia that does better artifact masking that the SVP developers can add, or improvements to nVidia Optical Flow, then there won't be a difference with next-gen GPU's.

Thanks for your post.  So, should I just accept fast motion artifacts as a side effect of current FI tech and just quit worrying about how to improve things.  I’m really starting to like 60fps on 4K HDR films.  I love the clarity and realism.

Is there any future news about a better process for eliminating these artifacts?  Is SVP the best we have to choose from?

5 (edited by Blackfyre 31-07-2020 09:18:52)

Let us know what settings you're using so we can see if there are things that you can change to improve artifact masking. I have my settings set up that I rarely notice artifacts. Also, what monitor or TV brand and model are you using?

I’m just using the trial version at this time.  In SVP Control Panel, I have slider on Higher performance, Optimized for Film, and Artifacts Masking on High. (60fps)

I use madVR with SVP on multiple displays.  JVC RS540 (4K e-shift PJ) and LG HDR 4K 400 nit monitor.

It has helped to reduce artifacts by changing from low to high on masking setting.  Definitely better, but some older 1080P films were not helped much.  4K HDR movies have the least artifacts.  Looks like the content is important for artifacts masking to work well?