Topic: macOS: Vapoursynth support missing

After performing an upgrade to 4.3.0.191, no frame rate conversions seem to work in MPV, and I cannot even open SVP in VLC from the menu. I get this error: Please install Vapoursynth via Homebrew. Functionality seems to work but frame rate conversions do not.

Re: macOS: Vapoursynth support missing

upgrading Mac version is as simple as replace 'SVP 4 Mac.app', nothing more
if you somehow broke the Homebrew installation - this is not because of the update

Not a helpful reply. I don't seek to blame anybody for the issue. I am looking for help to fix it.

run the install script again, look for the errors in the terminal window

actually, they removed vapoursynth from mpv build, have no idea why hmm
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/pull/55906

I see you are working to get this resolved. Thanks. Should I wait for a new build of MPV or try to patch myself. I am pretty novice...

Seems like they must just revert the last change to the install script.

This should work (installs via previous version of the script):

brew reinstall https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/8305b51ca44689cd55e2abf0d00296c65d7459ad/Formula/mpv.rb

8 (edited by 00 12-06-2020 09:49:27)

Hello!

I searched for hours to find the solution. And it worked! Thanks Chainik!

I have a question, though. My files are not going over 60fps on a 60hz screen with VLC, but with mpv it now works! Why is that?
Also, does somebody also use a iMac for SVP? With VLC I felt stutter when objects were moving faster on camera movement.

EDIT: MPV works, but can't get IINA to recognise it...

Thanks!

Ran your install command successfully but now VLC crashes any time I try to run it with SVP. I completely uninstalled and reinstalled VLC after reinstalling MPV / Vapoursynth, and I can run VLC stand-alone when SVP is not running.

hmmm... not sure it's connected

I found that VLC crashes when it was started in "normal" way from Finder or via SVP menu BUT it doesn't crash (!) when VLC was started from the Terminal (/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC) or via SVP that was started from the Terminal.
This is kind of mysterious hmm Try to reboot computer (I won't do this cause I only have remote access to Mac).

===

This is because of Homebrew's upgrade to Python 3.8, it doesn't run if LC_CTYPE environment variable is not set, which is the case for macOS. It IS set in Terminal though.

I don't see any simple way to fix this w/o updating SVP so there will be an update ASAP...
for now you can launch VLC from the Terminal.

ok, DMG package updated with fixed mpv install script and fixed VLC plugins

12 (edited by 00 13-06-2020 22:05:08)

Nothings fixed.

Uninstalling mpv... (30 files, 10.8MB)
Uninstalling vapoursynth... (22 files, 3.9MB)
Warning: Calling Non-checksummed download of mpv formula file from an arbitrary URL is deprecated! Use 'brew extract' or 'brew create' and 'brew tap-new' to create a formula file in a tap on GitHub instead.
######################################################################## 100.0%
mpv: A full installation of Xcode.app is required to compile
this software. Installing just the Command Line Tools is not sufficient.

Xcode can be installed from the App Store.
Error: An unsatisfied requirement failed this build.

Did work before.

Broke my setup. Thanks. Now I have to find this Vapoursynth r50 again...

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=175522

And a way to fix my MPV now

Not to mention that xcode from the app store takes forever. I waited 8 hours on a 1000 mbps downstream. It's super slow and not O.K

Thanks god I have a backup. Otherwise I would spend HOURS to fix this

Update: Restore was succesful. Now waiting for the DEV to fix things up without breaking my setup from this point on. All what I did is to run the script for SVP thats in the .dmg...

SVP WORKS after restoring backup in MPV again. How can that be that script kills my setup?
You don't have to install xcode from appstore to make SVP work...

> A full installation of Xcode.app is required to compile

wtf...

those Homebrew guys do really strange things sometimes hmm
i have no idea why they added dependency to the full Xcode

> Now waiting for the DEV to fix things up without breaking my setup from this point on.

Don't you know you DON'T NEED TO RUN THIS SCRIPT EVERY TIME?
It's for the first-time installation only. Don't run it on every SVP update.

===
BTW it seems to work with removed dependecy on XCode. Fixed on the server-side now...

15 (edited by Rain 17-06-2020 07:10:29)

Nvm

I've been having the same problem with VLC, when I click the option to enable svp in vlc I get this error: Please install Vapoursynth via Homebrew. I went into the terminal and entered the homebrew command to install vapoursynth, but it tells me I already have it. Also, the install command that Chainik provided, I tried it, and this is what it says: Error: Installation of mpv from a GitHub commit URL is unsupported! `brew extract mpv` to a stable tap on GitHub instead. Is there a solution to this?