Topic: Disappointed in SVP after getting a LG C9

I was originally planning on using SVP together with the TV for 120 fps interpolation but after comparing it to LG's interpolation called "Trumotion" at 60 fps it has much less artifacts and more smoothness than SVP.

Why is this the case? The TV is using a 1 Ghz Quad-Core CPU and it has better interpolation than SVP with a 7700k and a 1080 Ti? sad

Re: Disappointed in SVP after getting a LG C9

Probably because TVs use special chips that have only one dedicated function: Motion interpolation

and your cpu might be to weak to handle a 120fps interpolation with 4K, hdr content

4 (edited by Tjoma 03-06-2020 13:44:53)

otic wrote:

and your cpu might be to weak to handle a 120fps interpolation with 4K, hdr content

Maybe. But the TV has been able to interpolate 4K 60 in HDR no problem. 120 fps isn't an option but it doesn't matter because even though it is interpolating at 60 fps it gives better results than SVP at 120 fps. hmm

are you sure of that there are no single drop during watching a whole movie? Some time I was thinkig the same but after watching after some 20 min, suddenly noticed single drop frame on TV  with its interpolation...

Tjoma wrote:

but after comparing it to LG's interpolation called "Trumotion" at 60 fps it has much less artifacts and more smoothness than SVP.

Why is this the case?

Why is a multi-billion dollar company, with the resources to hire the best people in the business, and create special chips specifically designed to do motion interpolation, doing a better job than a few developers online who make this program and charge $15 for it?

Like really? Obviously high end televisions are going to do motion interpolation much better than any PC program you'll fine right now. They have unlimited resources to work on these products.

Yes your PC is a lot more powerful, but there is no multi-billion dollar company making motion interpolation software designed for PC use.

Blackfyre wrote:
Tjoma wrote:

but after comparing it to LG's interpolation called "Trumotion" at 60 fps it has much less artifacts and more smoothness than SVP.

Why is this the case?

Why is a multi-billion dollar company, with the resources to hire the best people in the business, and create special chips specifically designed to do motion interpolation, doing a better job than a few developers online who make this program and charge $15 for it?

Like really? Obviously high end televisions are going to do motion interpolation much better than any PC program you'll fine right now. They have unlimited resources to work on these products.

Yes your PC is a lot more powerful, but there is no multi-billion dollar company making motion interpolation software designed for PC use.

Ah, yes. That makes perfect sense. I guess I was focusing too much on hardware and not so much software like you said. It’s just that SVP is so hardware intensive I assumed the TV would perform worse since it is much weaker.

Tjoma wrote:

Ah, yes. That makes perfect sense. I guess I was focusing too much on hardware and not so much software like you said. It’s just that SVP is so hardware intensive I assumed the TV would perform worse since it is much weaker.

Yeah, sorry if my comment came out sounding harsh. I should have worded it better.

Sadly this is the case, while PC's are significantly more powerful, these multi-billion dollar companies can make magic on smaller chips and keep it exclusive to their own products.

Not only that but DRM's also hurt PC users. Same reason Netflix doesn't play in 4K except on the Windows Store APP and on Microsoft Edge.

Or the fact that I can't watch Amazon Prime in 4K or Disney+ on 4K with my High-end CPU and a RTX 2070 Super, but I can do it fine with my 5 year old 4K Sony TV. Some features are just LOCKED out for PC users.

hey can you tell me the LG C9 has less frame drop than svp when complex fast scene?
im using lg b7, the trumotion was awful ,lots of frame stutter when fast motion scene

Motion interpolation on high-end TV's improves every year. You should always expect better detection, less artifacts, and less stuttering if you're upgrading several models. Of the 3 top OLED brands; Sony, Panasonic, and LG. Sony was famous for its motion interpolation. But seeing the reviews for this years models, they are all damn good now at motion interpolation.

> Motion interpolation on high-end TV's improves every year

still I won't replace my E6 cause it's the last one with 3D support
damn them big_smile

12 (edited by Moondust76 25-07-2020 16:17:13)

I am planning for an LG 77CX and a monster pc (next-gen AMD cpu & Nvidia gpu) to do 4K@120fps but when I read this I think I should be reconsidering that plan maybe. I am very satisfied with FHD@60fps on my old Pioneer plasma rightnow. A lot smoother than FHD@24fps with virtually no artifacts. 120fps should be better since it's a multiple of 24fps. Is it really going to be worse than LG's built-in frame interpolation?