Topic: Understanding Performance

Hey, SVP developers, I'm in the process of upgrading my monitor into one that runs at 120hz (capable of more, but 120hz is nice) and I was wondering why the performance is so bad.

From what I understand, when converting 24p content to 60p content normally, the SVP algorithm will do a *5 /2 thing, where it really runs at 120fps then discards every other frame, with the other frames being the original frames of the video.

If that's the case, why is running just *5 more demanding?

I have a GTX 1070, a bit old, I know, but I can't do 120fps conversion without dropping frames at 720p resolution, regardless of the quality of settings picked.

Re: Understanding Performance

SVP can't "drop frames". If you're using madVR - check GPU load and madVR's settings.

> SVP algorithm will do a *5 /2 thing, where it really runs at 120fps then discards every other frame

Nope. It actually renders two times more frames in case of 120 fps but it's done almost completely on GPU w/o further increasing the CPU load.

Right, if it was implied that SVP was dropping frames, this was not what I intended, I'm dropping frames, is the issue.

Is there no way to increase CPU utilization, I have a 2600x which is basically idle while doing the conversion on the GPU and forcing CPU conversion doesn't seem to help, the GPU still gets pegged to 100%

How does *5/2 work then? It has to have 120 frames rendered or converted or something to create a 60 fps result in the end.

Do the 60 frames that get dropped not have any impact on the conversion?

> the GPU still gets pegged to 100%

So just lower madVR settings then...

> How does *5/2 work then?

copy frame 1, render two intermidiant frames between frames 1 and 2, render two intermidiant frames between frames 2 and 3, and so on...