1 (edited by Blackfyre 05-04-2020 14:37:46)

Topic: MPV and Windows 10 April (2004) Feature Update - File Association

Hi Everyone

This is an issue that you will face when the update is officially released by Microsoft, whether it is released this month or next month. I am on the Insider Slow Ring and have been using 19041 (Windows 10 2004) for a while.

As SVP does not install MPV, you can find it in this directory C:\Program Files (x86)\SVP 4\mpv64

With previous versions of Windows 10 (1909 and prior), selecting file association was an easy process.

The first option: Click on the Start menu, select Settings > Apps > Default apps > and then under Video player you would click Browse go to the directory above and choose mpv.exe as the default media player for video files.

The other option was to right click on a file type, for example a movie in .webm, go to properties > general > open with > change > more apps > scroll down all the way to look for another app on this PC and select mpv or browse to the mpv directory if mpv is not there and select it as the default program for that file type. (THIS STILL WORKS), but only for one file type at a time.

Microsoft has removed the browse feature in the first option of these two options above, I do not understand why they would do that, but they have done it. Maybe they will add it back when the next feature update is officially released, but that's unlikely as we are already using one of the final versions that will likely be RTM.

To FIX this issue:

You need to download the tool linked below from GitHub.

https://github.com/rossy/mpv-install

Open the folder inside, copy all the files to your MPV directory C:\Program Files (x86)\SVP 4\mpv64

Right click mpv-install.bat and run as administrator. Once the process is finished. You can go back to Settings > Apps > Default apps > and then under Video player you should be able to select MPV.

Also from now on, if there's any file format that you want to associate with MPV, you can right click, go to properties and under general > open with > you should be able to choose MPV as one of the programs to select as the default for that file type.

EDIT:

For SVP Developers, during the installation process for SVP, if you can add an option under mpv, such as "Associate Media Files for Windows to run with MPV", and then if people select that option, it will run this tool after the installation process is complete to allow users to select MPV as their default media player. As most likely, this will be a problem that many users will face updating their Windows 10 in the future.

Thank you.

Re: MPV and Windows 10 April (2004) Feature Update - File Association

https://i.imgur.com/h0PT0br.png

No problem here bro

4 (edited by Blackfyre 05-04-2020 14:46:22)

dlr5668 wrote:

No problem here bro

Yep, this was the case with MKV actually (I should edit the original post). But notice how the browse feature is not available in the default apps section in settings anymore. Try and find a file format that is not already associated with mpv, like .webm for example and try to open it with MPV. You can use the option above you showed (which I added to original post, so thank you), but if you want all file formats related to media to open with MPV using the Default Apps section, it is not available by default.

Just try and go to Settings > Apps > Default apps > and under Video Player try and select MPV as the default video player. It is not available without using the tool above from GitHub. Before, the BROWSE option was there to allow you to select any executable you want, such as MPV from its directory.

Unless you have MPV installed separately and not via SVP, maybe it would show up there.

EDIT: Thank you, I added the instructions on how to do it with the second option, that I had incorrectly stated it was removed. But the first option of being able to associate ALL media files with MPV straight away is not available, and the above method adds MPV back into Windows for choosing as an application under both "Video Player" and "Audio Player" in the Default Apps section.