Topic: Black-Bars detection - too slow

Hi there,

I am trying to watch some media which switches back and forth between 16:9 scenes and 21:9 scenes often.
The aspect ratio of the source media is 16:9.
The 21:9 scenes are encoded with black bars at the top and bottom to pad the scenes back out to fit into 16:9

I am trying to get the black bars detection feature working, as it seems that this is exactly what the feature is used for.
I have black bars set to tracking mode, and it does seem to work - it takes some time before the black bars are detected and cropped, but it does do it.

The issue is when the scene switches back to 16:9, which means the black bars are gone.
SVP takes a very long time to detect this and until then important parts of the video are cropped away.

I can not find any kinds of variables to control the detection speed. Is there some way I can do this?
Perhaps if I were to put some custom parameters into the SVP control panel - or even edit the AVISynth script myself?
Or is the black bars feature hard-coded and unchangeable?

I'd really like it to work properly - and the SVP manual says it should work 'instantly'

Any help appreciated!

Re: Black-Bars detection - too slow

Yeah, I saw this too on some videos.

> Or is the black bars feature hard-coded and unchangeable?

Unfortunately, yes.

I'll look into this issue, can't tell the exact time frame though cause a holiday season almost started...

3 (edited by jmorgannz 22-12-2019 08:55:15)

Oh awesome.

I made an AutoHotKey script that samples seven pixels to detect which mode a scene is in, then issues the keystrokes in MPC-HC to zoom or reset zoom.
Seems to work ok for the time being. Kicks in within 500ms of scene change.

Chainik wrote:

Yeah, I saw this too on some videos.

> Or is the black bars feature hard-coded and unchangeable?

Unfortunately, yes.

I'll look into this issue, can't tell the exact time frame though cause a holiday season almost started...

Just updated to the new version of SVP which has faster black bars detection.
Works great!
Thanks team!