Topic: What Happens if PC Output Set To 30 Hz?

in order to get wide color gamut (10-bit) out of my pc using hdmi i have to set my refresh rate to 30hz or lower, if i set it to anything higher i can only get 8-bit.

so my question is what effect does this have on svp interpolation? does setting my pc's refresh rate to 30hz limit svp's interpolation versus if i set it to 60hz?

thanks!

Re: What Happens if PC Output Set To 30 Hz?

You can still have SVP double, triple, or generally increase the frame rate like usual, but your monitor will not be able to refresh quickly enough to show these extra frames, so you'll effectively be watching every 2 frames of a (for example) interpolated 60fps video, which is not optimal.

If you want smooth motion, I suggest keeping your refresh rate high and sacrificing the 10bit color for 8bit and higher refresh rates. Make sure you read about SVPs tips on 10bit to 8bit color conversion (on their wiki) if your source videos are 10bit.

Re: What Happens if PC Output Set To 30 Hz?

very helpful response and exactly what i was looking for, in fact i discovered this was the case after playing around with svp and different refresh rates, some pretty unfavorable results when setting the pc display rates to 24 or 30 hz...

re 10/8 bits, what video sources are typically 10-bit? also, after further reading, it seems that 8-bit dither (which my pc outputs when set to 60hz rgb) may actually be more favorable than 10-bit in terms of banding?

thanks again!

OpenSourceAnarchist wrote:

You can still have SVP double, triple, or generally increase the frame rate like usual, but your monitor will not be able to refresh quickly enough to show these extra frames, so you'll effectively be watching every 2 frames of a (for example) interpolated 60fps video, which is not optimal.

If you want smooth motion, I suggest keeping your refresh rate high and sacrificing the 10bit color for 8bit and higher refresh rates. Make sure you read about SVPs tips on 10bit to 8bit color conversion (on their wiki) if your source videos are 10bit.