1 (edited by stereoman 14-10-2018 03:50:00)

Topic: Svp 4k Hdr

This is a request to implement HDR into SVP currently I've tried everything from using VLC to Potplayer to MPV but nothing works right with SVP, the closest i've got is bluesky frame rate converter but to be honest i'm not even sure it's working and it's no where near SVP  in performance, I even paid for powerdvd but even powerdvd can't do framerate interpolation in 4k HDR, seriously if SVP devs want to take this software to the next level HDR is essential.

Re: Svp 4k Hdr

You should give MPV Player a go, again.
https://i.imgur.com/pfJ0OXe.jpg

mpv is the only way now, though it can't switch TV to HDR mode (like madVR does), but you can just turn on HDR in Windows 10's display settings.

4 (edited by Blackfyre 14-10-2018 12:13:32)

Use MPV, I will share my settings for it.

Open Notepad and type the below:

gpu-api=vulkan
gpu-context=winvk
hwdec=no

priority=high

interpolation

scale=ewa_lanczossharp
cscale=ewa_lanczossharp
dscale=ewa_lanczossharp
dither-depth=auto
correct-downscaling=yes
sigmoid-upscaling=yes
deband=yes

vd-lavc-dr=yes
vd-lavc-threads=16

sub-font-size=40

Save it as mpv.conf in this directory:

C:\Users\YourUserNameHere\AppData\Roaming\mpv

You will need to save it as mpv first, then enable file name extension and change .txt to .conf

I use the built in MPV Interpolation mode because my 4790K at 4.7Ghz just cannot handle 4K content with SVP + MPV, just impossible, I tried everything, not enough processing power. MPC + Madvr can do it, but HDR looks horrible using Madvr compared to MPV which is the ONLY program I have used that does HDR & colours perfectly.

Guess I'll give MPV another shot, thanks for the pointers.

6 (edited by kathampy 02-04-2019 21:55:20)

Chainik wrote:

mpv is the only way now, though it can't switch TV to HDR mode (like madVR does), but you can just turn on HDR in Windows 10's display settings.

When using MPV:
1. If I manually turn on HDR in WIndows, does this send the correct "Mastering display luminance" to the display for movies that aren't 1000 nits?
2. When I watch a HDR movie on a SDR display, does it automatically perform BT.2020 to Rec.702 conversion and tonemapping?
3. When I watch a HDR movie on a HDR display, does it ignore the above conversions?

I have "icc-profile-auto" in my mpv.conf because my SDR display has an ICC profile installed. What effect will this have on my HDR display with HDR turned on in Windows?

7 (edited by kathampy 24-05-2019 14:05:41)

I just got a a G-SYNC HDR monitor and cannot get HDR to display correctly using mpv. I have HDR enabled in Windows and the display is in HDR mode. No matter what target or tone mapping settings I use in mpv, it seems like Windows treats mpv as an SDR application and automatically maps it to the SDR gamut and brightness within the HDR signal based on the "SDR content brightness" slider. If I increase the slider to 100, the video is brighter but uses the wrong gamut or EOTF no matter what I force in mpv. madVR works fine without SVP.

there's still a bunch of opened and/or not solved issues on GitHub, so I'm now not so optimistic about full HDR support in mpv sad
https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/5521
https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/5237
etc...

9 (edited by kathampy 24-05-2019 14:59:32)

If you trigger HDR using NVAPI, I believe it will treat the whole desktop as BT.2020 / PQ / 1000 nits without interference from Windows' "SDR content brightness" remapping. The target / tone mapping settings in mpv should then let the video be interpreted correctly.

I have a bunch of 4K HDR movies and I tried transcoding one to 60fps to be watched on my OLED TV. However after the transcoding, the video looks washed out on my TV (looks like non-HDR). I hope this can be worked on as it’ll be very cool to be able to watch 4K HDR 60FPS movie on a 65inch OLED smile

Every 65'' oled has its own motion interpolation.

12 (edited by kathampy 15-11-2019 19:41:58)

HDR works with the latest update, but it stutters constantly when SVP is enabled, even if frame rate conversion is disabled. SVP must be disabled to stop the stuttering.

13 (edited by UHD 16-11-2019 10:37:39)

@kathampy

1. On which monitor/TV do you watch 4K/10-bit HDR movies and do you use x2 (48Hz), 60Hz, x3 (72Hz) or maybe x5 (120Hz) interpolation?

2. What’s your CPU?

3. Are you still using quad-channel 4 x 8 GB 4000 MHz C17 memory?

4. What’s your mpv configuration?

I won't be able to help you, because I'm just planning to buy an HTPC myself, but I think this information may be useful to solve the problem and also for me for future configuration.

1. I currently use a Predator X27 with HDR permanently enabled in Windows.

2. i9-9900X @ 4.6 GHz

3. Yes, but now at 4000 MHz C18 since I changed the motherboard and the new one can't do C17.

4. mpv configuration:

input-ipc-server=mpvpipe
hwdec=d3d11va-copy
hwdec-codecs=all
vo=gpu
gpu-api=d3d11
gpu-context=d3d11
profile=gpu-hq
hr-seek-framedrop=no
save-position-on-quit=no
ao=wasapi
# audio-exclusive
audio-spdif=ac3,dts,dts-hd,eac3,truehd
audio-channels=auto

I've enabled 10-bit output and disabled HDR colour recovery in SVP. mpv plays HDR correctly but stutters if SVP is enabled. MPC-HC + madVR plays HDR with the "hdr=on" filename tag, but madVR uses BT.709 making the colours slightly inaccurate.

I found that 2160p 10-bit Blu-rays stutter at 120 fps but are smooth at 90 fps in mpv. Other lower bit-rate 2160p 10-bit videos are smooth at 120 fps. I don't see any meaningful increase in CPU / GPU usage between the two, so I don't know what the bottleneck is.

> I found that 2160p 10-bit Blu-rays stutter at 120 fps but are smooth at 90 fps in mpv.

is there any difference with "allow output in 10 bit color depth" on or off?

so, after october 2019 update, mpv is able to render with 4K/HDR and my question is:

does transcoding (SVPcode) will keep HDR metadata from 4k rips? Asking because now, in times of new Ryzens/Threadripeers it might take less time to do this smile

> does transcoding (SVPcode) will keep HDR metadata from 4k rips?

nope

kathampy wrote:

I found that 2160p 10-bit Blu-rays stutter at 120 fps but are smooth at 90 fps in mpv. Other lower bit-rate 2160p 10-bit videos are smooth at 120 fps. I don't see any meaningful increase in CPU / GPU usage between the two, so I don't know what the bottleneck is.

Thanks kathampy for sharing information about your hardware and software settings with us.

120 fps smooth but 90 fps stutter? This reminds me of something...

120 fps DP 1.4 can't go past 4K 98hz in HDR10 mode without dropping to 4:2:2, unless DSC is supported. Maybe some conversion raises 4:2:0 to a higher level and DP 1.4 is the bottleneck? Predator X27 doesn't support DSC. Maybe this is the reason?

Maybe you could do some tests on 4K HDR 10-bit movies?

23.976fps movie x 4 = 95.904Hz (monitor)
25fps movie x 4 = 100hz (monitor)

Chainik wrote:

Every 65'' oled has its own motion interpolation.

always been curious about how TVs do it? Do they have such powerfull  8-cores CPU inside, too? To enjoy what SVP can gives us, it' requires some power on PC systems...:rolleyes:

> how TVs do it?

TVs has special chips for motion interpolation. They are more power effective because of hardware implementation of algorithms.

23 (edited by otic 03-01-2020 16:40:44)

reading SVP headlines on main page, you're saying that MPV support HDR playback but no dynamic HDR.
I don't quite understand that, HDR is "dynamic" by itself

https://i.imgur.com/VHZwUtv.jpg

HDR10+ updates HDR10 by adding dynamic metadata that can be used to more accurately adjust brightness levels up to 10,000 cd/m2 maximum brightness on a scene-by-scene or frame-by-frame basis

aaah, I get it now! smile
I'm OK with  the  "basic" HDR at the moment, thanks for explanation Chainik smile