Topic: Best settings

I changed my system. I used to have artifact problem with my older system but now svp produces more artifacts.
My system is gpu gtx 970 oc edition
Cpu amd ryzen 5 2600 six core

Can you help me to find the best settings for this system. I also use 60hz tv.

Re: Best settings

I have one more question i have max smoothness settings right now but it works for a couple of movies. I don't see a difference in other movies do you have any idea why ?

3 (edited by dlr5668 09-11-2019 10:08:15)

>I also use 60hz tv
Switch TV to 50Hz. Use x2 in svp and 4% speedup in mpv

video-sync=display-resample
video-sync-max-video-change=10

24->48->50

So what do you think for the smoothness problem. It makes fighting scenes faster in endgame but has no effect on watchmen. I don’t know why. Do you have any ideas ?

Smoothness works couple of times in a movie and then it turns to normal. I want to watch my movies smooth from the beggining to the end help pls.

6 (edited by Blackfyre 10-11-2019 11:35:16)

Try these settings for SVP:

https://i.imgur.com/Xg56U0C.png

Right click SVP, under application settings, make sure your GPU is selected for GPU Acceleration.

Right click SVP, under outer lighting, click DISABLED.

Right click SVP, under video frame, untick "detect and cut off black bars".

Right click SVP, open file via MPV.. and see if you like these settings.

You're not giving any details as to what media player you're using or what content you're watching, if it's in 1080p or 4K, or HDR? What TV are you using?

7 (edited by cemaydnlar 10-11-2019 14:15:35)

Blackfyre wrote:

Try these settings for SVP:

https://i.imgur.com/Xg56U0C.png

Right click SVP, under application settings, make sure your GPU is selected for GPU Acceleration.

Right click SVP, under outer lighting, click DISABLED.

Right click SVP, under video frame, untick "detect and cut off black bars".

Right click SVP, open file via MPV.. and see if you like these settings.

You're not giving any details as to what media player you're using or what content you're watching, if it's in 1080p or 4K, or HDR? What TV are you using?

I am watching 1080p movies. I am using mpc-hc and madvr. All my settings were for smoothness but eventhough movies had a lot of artifacts i couldn't see any changes in smoothness. I am using an old Philips tv which is 60hz. With your settings it got even less smoother than before unfortunately.

check
- cpu load
- gpu load
- SVP index
- madVR stats for dropped frames

9 (edited by cemaydnlar 10-11-2019 18:12:15)

Chainik wrote:

check
- cpu load
- gpu load
- SVP index

Everything is below %15. I have only 1 issue which is i want fighting scenes to be faster than normal which looks cool. I learned that we can change the speed in mpv player but couldn't do it. Maybe you guys know something about it ? Svp index also says 1.00.

Chainik wrote:

Focus on this point here, as you say your CPU is not being stressed. Maybe it's your GPU and you have madVR settings too high and you're getting delayed frames and dropped frames (which makes the videos appear not smooth). Right click SVP and open file via MPV and see how your videos are running and for those same scenes.

As for your other point, I don't know why you would want to make fight scenes "faster". Do you mean smoother because it's not smooth right now? Or do you mean like making the whole video 1.25x faster or 1.5x faster? I hope it's the former and not the latter.

Blackfyre wrote:
Chainik wrote:

Focus on this point here, as you say your CPU is not being stressed. Maybe it's your GPU and you have madVR settings too high and you're getting delayed frames and dropped frames (which makes the videos appear not smooth). Right click SVP and open file via MPV and see how your videos are running and for those same scenes.

As for your other point, I don't know why you would want to make fight scenes "faster". Do you mean smoother because it's not smooth right now? Or do you mean like making the whole video 1.25x faster or 1.5x faster? I hope it's the former and not the latter.

Gpu and cpu are under %20 percent. I changed svp shader to by blocks and had an amazing result. Yeah by faster i mean smoother. Now movies seem to be as smooth as they should be. I am going to try this on other movies too. I tried it on godzilla 2 and had a great result.

Blackfyre wrote:
Chainik wrote:

Now i have another issue which is having a lot of artifacts while action scenes. I don't know what the point is having a smoother video if you can't watch it because of scenes getting blurry ? Do you have an idea to maybe solve this problem ?

cemaydnlar wrote:
Blackfyre wrote:
Chainik wrote:

Now i have another issue which is having a lot of artifacts while action scenes. I don't know what the point is having a smoother video if you can't watch it because of scenes getting blurry ? Do you have an idea to maybe solve this problem ?

You have to find the balance that satisfies you in the settings. The smoother you want it, the more artifacts will occur, to reduce artifacts, you need to slightly reduce smoothness. I provided my settings for 1080p for you because that's what I use to reduce artifacts and have decent smoothness. But you cannot have a perfect combination of both perfectly smooth and zero artifacts. The only way that is possible is for example if you consider 60FPS smooth, then for the video or movie itself to be shot at 60FPS, being watched at 60FPS. Motion interpolation will naturally introduce artifacts. Some very high end TV's and higher-midrange TV's too can do motion interpolation while keeping the artifacts to a minimum, they have built in chips dedicated to doing it, and teams of engineers and software programs dedicated to perfecting it year after year.

SVP is the cheaper method available for those who don't have those expensive TV's.

Having said that artifacts are a lot less when I am watching 4K content on a 4K TV. The lower the resolution the more artifacts I notice when I use SVP. But there is no perfect solution. The movie industry has it in their heads that 24 frames is perfect for movies. A bunch of old timers, who grew up in an era & generation that had that limit, but the limit was the highest standard at the time. The problem is the majority of the population is already used to 24FPS movies, and movie makers are used to it and love it too. It is the standard. The soap-opera effect as they call it is something they despise, because it's very hard to change ingrained perceptions that have now crossed generations.

Blackfyre wrote:
cemaydnlar wrote:
Blackfyre wrote:

You have to find the balance that satisfies you in the settings. The smoother you want it, the more artifacts will occur, to reduce artifacts, you need to slightly reduce smoothness. I provided my settings for 1080p for you because that's what I use to reduce artifacts and have decent smoothness. But you cannot have a perfect combination of both perfectly smooth and zero artifacts. The only way that is possible is for example if you consider 60FPS smooth, then for the video or movie itself to be shot at 60FPS, being watched at 60FPS. Motion interpolation will naturally introduce artifacts. Some very high end TV's and higher-midrange TV's too can do motion interpolation while keeping the artifacts to a minimum, they have built in chips dedicated to doing it, and teams of engineers and software programs dedicated to perfecting it year after year.

SVP is the cheaper method available for those who don't have those expensive TV's.

Having said that artifacts are a lot less when I am watching 4K content on a 4K TV. The lower the resolution the more artifacts I notice when I use SVP. But there is no perfect solution. The movie industry has it in their heads that 24 frames is perfect for movies. A bunch of old timers, who grew up in an era & generation that had that limit, but the limit was the highest standard at the time. The problem is the majority of the population is already used to 24FPS movies, and movie makers are used to it and love it too. It is the standard. The soap-opera effect as they call it is something they despise, because it's very hard to change ingrained perceptions that have now crossed generations.

Okey i understand. I changed my fps from 60 to 48. Artifacts to be lowered but now movies are slower than they are originally in certain scenes.

15 (edited by UHD 11-11-2019 20:42:01)

Blackfyre wrote:

Some very high end TV's and higher-midrange TV's too can do motion interpolation while keeping the artifacts to a minimum, they have built in chips dedicated to doing it, and teams of engineers and software programs dedicated to perfecting it year after year.

Having said that artifacts are a lot less when I am watching 4K content on a 4K TV.

Are you saying that 4K TV can have better interpolation than SVP? I don't think they have more computing power than your PC.

I can't make a comparison, but I think SVP with its settings should be more capable. This is one of the advantages of SVP over DimitriRender for example.

> Are you saying that 4K TV can have better interpolation than SVP?

they have a R&D departments hiring tons of multi-$100k engineers and scientists for a reason... SVP's base algorithm is very simple after all.

17 (edited by UHD 11-11-2019 21:42:41)

Sometimes one enthusiast who does something mainly for himself can do more than money.
Especially with PC computing power, which the TV sets will not have due to cost savings. Motion interpolation is not a priority for TV manufacturers, but only an addition.

Do you think you can make someting better in the future with NVIDIA Optical Flow SDK? Do you see any potential in this? Of course I know that it's implemented in SVP, I'm just asking if there's more potential for SVP with NVIDIA Optical Flow to deliver better quality results than without it. I know there is a performance benefit for weak CPUs, but is there also a potential for quality improvement?

What is the difference between 48 and 45 fps in svp do you guys know ?

48 is 24*2, 45 is 90/2 big_smile

20 (edited by cemaydnlar 12-11-2019 13:37:07)

smile that's obvious but what i mean was which one produces less artifacts or which one is more smoother ?

48, that's obvious because 24*2=48 and not 45.
BD movies are  23.976 fps, so almost 24.

22 (edited by dlr5668 12-11-2019 14:20:46)

cemaydnlar wrote:

smile that's obvious but what i mean was which one produces less artifacts or which one is more smoother ?

48,72,96... are always superior (less artifacts, more smooth)
using 45 is fucking stupid

dlr5668 wrote:
cemaydnlar wrote:

48,72,96... are always superior (less artifacts, more smooth)
using 45 is fucking stupid

Okay thanks a lot.

When i say fix to 48fps my videos get 47.960 fps why ?