1 (edited by Franck 08-08-2019 12:17:00)

Topic: 10bit HDR : Using madvr tone mapping for HDR -> SDR conversion

Hello,

I've stopped using SVP (pro) when I started watching HDR content. It's pretty sad. I can't get rid of MPCHC.
Currently I use MADVR tone mapping to convert HDR to SDR, but SVP is still not working, showing greyed images.
Is it possible to put SVP/FFDShow after Madvr so that it gets only SDR 4k content? Currently ffdshow is a "raw video filter" in mpchc.

EDIT : another idea : can't I use ffdshow tryouts as a raw video filter? This fork is supposed to work with 10bit HDR content.

2 (edited by Blackfyre 08-08-2019 13:08:45)

Re: 10bit HDR : Using madvr tone mapping for HDR -> SDR conversion

Why are you still using MPC and Madvr? And I don't mean this comment in a rude way, sorry if it sounded rude. But SVP + MPV works great with HDR to SDR conversion, and MPV Tone Mapping I would argue is even superior to MadVR.

If you know how to create/edit the configuration for MPV, use the below configuration and give it a try with SVP:

vo=gpu
profile=gpu-hq
fbo-format=rgba16hf
gpu-api=vulkan
vulkan-async-compute
gpu-context=winvk
hwdec=nvdec-copy
spirv-compiler=shaderc
vulkan-queue-count=3

volume-max=100

hdr-compute-peak=yes

video-sync=display

scale=ewa_lanczossharp
cscale=ewa_lanczossharp
dscale=ewa_lanczossharp
dither-depth=auto
correct-downscaling=yes
sigmoid-upscaling=yes

deband=yes
deband-iterations=5
deband-threshold=50
deband-range=16
deband-grain=48

3 (edited by Franck 08-08-2019 13:54:01)

Thank you for you answer. I've been using MPCHC for 15 years and it is totally integrated in my home automation system, my remote, etc. Madvr offers a ton of usefull settings, zoom, crop, color space, Nits, mapping, everything is fine tuned with different templates depending on the resolution, etc.

I tried MPV last year and I cried when I saw how counterintuitive it was. I spent one hour trying to get things working basically, then I gave up. I found almost no community/help on google for setting MPV and integrating it in kodi on windows OS.

Anyway, I can give another try to MPV if you say it solves everything... And I'll try to use your config file.
It need it to be totally integrated in my HTPC so that I can launch it from kodi and go back to kodi whenever i want, using my remote.

I spent one hour trying to get things working basically, then I gave up. I found almost no community/help on google for setting MPV and integrating it in kodi on windows OS.

You're bringing back some hurtful memories. Haha, I went through a similar process. Had to teach myself a lot of things, grab ideas from the few rare posts out there. But MPV has come a long way since, and has a decent community.

Not sure if you can get everything setup the way you want. But I'll try and give you some useful information.

Here's the absolute massive list of all the setting and configuration you can do:

https://mpv.io/manual/stable/

Here's the reddit community if you need to ask any questions, there should be people there that can help that know more than I do:

https://www.reddit.com/r/mpv/

There's some helpful people around here too.

Thank you for your precious help. I get good results using your settings. MPV is now my main video player, let's use it for a while.
In fact the motion flow of my projector is way better than SVP so SVP image interpolation won't be active most time, but in some specific cases it will be welcome.

By the way, I used this tool to generate a config file : https://glowmpv.github.io/
This tool made bad video settings so I replaced them by yours, but for the other thing it is rather usefull.

Franck wrote:

Thank you for your precious help. I get good results using your settings. MPV is now my main video player, let's use it for a while.
In fact the motion flow of my projector is way better than SVP so SVP image interpolation won't be active most time, but in some specific cases it will be welcome.

By the way, I used this tool to generate a config file : https://glowmpv.github.io/
This tool made bad video settings so I replaced them by yours, but for the other thing it is rather usefull.

this is gold.

Thanks a lot!

Franck wrote:

Damn! I have been looking for a way to make it easier to make a config file in order to move on from MPC-HC and MadVR to mpv but didn't really have the time to read the manual and then try and see how it will work. This is the perfect tool I've been looking for,
Thanks.