1 (edited by OpenSourceAnarchist 20-06-2019 05:43:43)

Topic: Memory usage of vspipe

My vapoursynth/SVP script: https://pastebin.com/MC9EFFUG

My laptop's memory is about 8GB and within 4-5 minutes of running this script (piped to ffmpeg which is fine, not even 200 MB of ram), my computer freezes (I'm on Linux). I tried setting core.max_cache_size = 5000 and this did nothing.

The video I'm using is very large... 1080p Blu-ray rip, 24 GB. Perhaps the video size is too big? Or that I'm using ffms2 to read the video?

So, 2 questions. 1) How can I stop the script from maxing out my memory, and 2) How can I pass a video into this script without using ffms2? I know it must be blatantly simple but this is a whole new world for me :)

Thank you for ANY help!

P.S. Completely random but what does rc:true actually mean? The documentation says it's for SVP Manager, but in what way?

Re: Memory usage of vspipe

Seems like there's a memory leak when svpflow lib is unable to connect to SVPManager.
Do you have SVPManager running?

I didn't know it needed to be open... Sounds like an easy fix!

Is SVPManager actually needed or is it something I can change in the script (setting "rc" to false for example)?

it's needed now but this isn't a designed behavior (at least in Linux wink) and will be fixed in the next release

you can try rc:false but I'm not sure it'll change anything

5 (edited by OpenSourceAnarchist 21-06-2019 20:19:29)

Thanks, I'll be migrating to NixOS this weekend and I'm not even sure if SVPManager will work correctly on it (packages are declaratively installed and entirely reside in /nix/store rather than /usr/bin). Vapoursynth, mpv, and ffmpeg are all packaged so ideally I can keep the 2 svpflow libs in my home folder and change the path in the vpy script without running SVPManager at all.

I'll experiment around.

6 (edited by OpenSourceAnarchist 22-06-2019 03:49:08)

Chainik, my initial feeling was correct. Like you said, keeping SVPManager open with "rc:true" allowed me to encode without any memory issues. However, not running SVPManager at all and deleting "rc:true" from my script (which I assume defaults to false) caused it to work flawlessly.

I'm really happy that I can use just the libraries and not have to have the GUI work too. I think the documentation should be updated to reflect this about "rc" for Linux users! It gave me a headache yesterday smile