Topic: 10bit settings making non-10bit videos lag

Well this is strange...never had an issue before. I keep 10bit enabled as i watch a lot of 10bit content. and when playing other videos, there never seemed to be an issue.

But i was watching a 20 minute 720p (about 600mb) episode that was not 10bit, yet with the setting still enabled there was sooo much judder/stutter... pretty much unwatchable... Same thing happened with a 2160p tv show. I thought it might be the huge size of the 4K show and how demanding it might be, but then i remembered that 600mb file doing the same thing.

I don't think it's my PC. (i7-9700k 3.8ghz, 250gb SSD, 16GB DDR4 RAM, GTX 1070 SC). Driver up to date too.

Maybe it's a problem with the recently updated version of vapoursynth? Not sure. I update SVP regularly and the fact that this never happened up until this point is alarming...just not sure if it's hardware or software issue.

Using mpv to play videos at 60fps

Windows 10 1809

Re: 10bit settings making non-10bit videos lag

I've just checked. I don't see any difference when 10 bit enabled and when 10 bit is disabled.
CPU usage the same. Video is smooth in both cases.

Post's attachments

mpv_10bit_enabled_vs-disabled.png, 73.81 kb, 666 x 780
mpv_10bit_enabled_vs-disabled.png 73.81 kb, 279 downloads since 2019-05-05 

Maybe it wasn't 10bit, because now it's happening with that disabled. Just this horrible judder when there's movement. Happens randomly. Things were fine for a few days, now it's doing it again. It would make me think it's my gpu (GTX 1070 SC) but mpc-hc doesn't do that and my games run fine.

If your GPU is running fine while gaming and bench-marking, then it's not the GPU. Your CPU is more than powerful enough too.

I have a GTX 1070 and a 4790K @ 4.6Ghz and I run 4K HDR 10-bit content without issue.

Don't turn on HDR on your monitor/TV though, I just let MPV recover HDR colors and it does it very well.

What settings (configuration) are you using for MPV?

I uninstalled MPC a while ago, because it doesn't perform as well as MPV with the right settings anymore. MPV has become the best player for SVP with recent updates.