Topic: SVP 4 not working in Linux

Hi all,

It's been a week I'm trying to install & properly use SVP4 in Ubuntu but still now it doesn't work, though I installed it without any error the last time.

But VLC crashes & other players (MPV) just plays it without interpolation.

why there is no ppa so that it installs itself easily, just like it does in windows.

Any way to make this right?

Thanks all.

Re: SVP 4 not working in Linux

> why there is no ppa

We have no idea why the djcj's PPA is no longer available. It was online until a week ago.

3 (edited by Ferdous 27-04-2019 03:01:52)

Chainik wrote:

> why there is no ppa

We have no idea why the djcj's PPA is no longer available. It was online until a week ago.

Can you guys make a new one?

I literally can’t make it to work.

I did everything the installation instruction page says. I think the packages itself isn't completely compatible with each other due different versions. Just a guess.

Can you please give me a list of those packages with versions so that it works completely?

If you up for it you might wanna read this.

You can install Vapoursynth from djcj's PPA but you gonna have to try and compile mpv with vapoursynth's support  yourself.

I installed following that post. What if I use VLC?
Do I still have to do MPV steps?
Though I did it first time.

I think the problem is my gpu driver. I'm using RX 580 4gb. SVP only benchmarked the CPU.

Installed the driver two times. Enable OpenGL (Legacy). Didn't work. The driver is installed but the version field stays blank when I check it.

6 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 30-04-2019 03:04:48)

I believe you have to install "amdgpu-pro" if you want GPU acceleration in SVP as the default mesa implementation of OpenCL for AMD graphics is pretty much broken and/or majorly outdated.

(I unfortunately have no modern discrete AMD GPUs so I can't actually confirm/refute this...)

7 (edited by Ferdous 01-05-2019 05:49:18)

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:

I believe you have to install "amdgpu-pro" if you want GPU acceleration in SVP as the default mesa implementation of OpenCL for AMD graphics is pretty much broken and/or majorly outdated.

(I unfortunately have no modern discrete AMD GPUs so I can't actually confirm/refute this...)

Sadly I installed amdgpu-pro & it didn't work.

I'm currently using AMD Fluid Motion which is much better in resource usage & less artifacts.

It's literally awesome

Ferdous wrote:

I'm currently using AMD Fluid Motion which is much better in resource usage & less artifacts.

It's literally awesome

I agree, but keeping a Windows install on my hard drive just for this seems wasteful :P

Why can't AMD release a Linux version? SVP is amazing as a cross-platform tool, but I've found Fluid Motion produces less artifacts and is much easier to setup and use. Not worth keeping Windows around to use it though.