Topic: How do i get svp to use my laptop's dedicated gpu?

It uses the intel hd4600 instead of the 980m which has the dual fan cooler and which has the best performance to use for SVP, why is that? Even in the nvidia settings it shows that the program is locked at intel hd graphics.

Re: How do i get svp to use my laptop's dedicated gpu?

just switch to 980m via SVP' menu -> App settings -> GPU acceleration

I tried that, still it uses the intel hd graphics

no it doesn't

Well, i don't know, when i choose the 980m, i see the intel hd graphics at 100% with low fps, the 980m is barely being touched. And if i use the cpu, it spikes up to 80-90c And the 980m dualfans are not really even spinning much cause it's not in use with svp.

Maybe intel graphics used by madVR renderer? If you use MPC-HC then try to switch to EVR Custom with bilinear or bicubic resizer.
MPC-HC menu View - Options... - Output tab

Post's attachments

EVR_with_D3D.png, 33.62 kb, 660 x 500
EVR_with_D3D.png 33.62 kb, 594 downloads since 2017-01-03 

7 (edited by Duckers 08-01-2017 12:26:51)

Still only uses the integrated after changing those settings hmm Cpu 2 core and memory clock is spiking tho, but it seems like botht he integrated and the cpu is rendering it

http://i.imgur.com/Mc517on.png

8 (edited by Duckers 15-01-2017 02:11:24)

Anyone else knows? Cause i don't want the 10 bucks for an extra licence go to waste, cause the laptop i have doesn't have the best cpu cooler, so it ends up getting really hot as of now, and would be much better to let the gpu take off the worst load.

9 (edited by dunk1452 15-01-2017 11:14:33)

I've had this problem on my laptop which has an 840m and intel HD5500.

In my case i just had to force the driver to use the 840m to run MPC-HC instead of the intel HD5500

The fix was to rename mpc-hc.exe to something else like mpc-hc_nvo.exe and add it as as item in the list of programs in the control panel it then allowed me to change what GPU to use.

10 (edited by James D 25-07-2018 14:35:47)

dunk1452 wrote:

I've had this problem on my laptop which has an 840m and intel HD5500.

In my case i just had to force the driver to use the 840m to run MPC-HC instead of the intel HD5500

The fix was to rename mpc-hc.exe to something else like mpc-hc_nvo.exe and add it as as item in the list of programs in the control panel it then allowed me to change what GPU to use.

The better way is to launch Nvidia Inspector, find Media Player Classic profile and delete values from string named Enable Application for Optimus. Then hit Apply and launch Nvidia Control Panel switching integreated to high performance. It will work without renaming.

If you have optimus, just like me you can make MPC use The dedicated GPU by going  into windows settings/System/Graphics Settings and Choosing MPC to use the High Performance GPU

12 (edited by Dude500 08-11-2018 09:58:45)

Hi, I have a 4712HQ and 850m. James D[Beta tester] method for 850m MPC-HC use worked for me, Thanks!

Dude500
1. What renderer are you using in MPC-HC? Switch to EVR Custom.
2. Check CPU load when playback video WITHOUT SVP. CPU load must be below 20% at all time. No CPU load peaks.

14 (edited by Dude500 08-11-2018 10:01:48)

Thanks MAG79
1. I'm using EVR Custom [and bilinear].
2. Reading through Afterburner not using SVP-interpolation I see CPU load between 3 to 16% at the very most. 

Also interesting, SVP only works when used with the PACKAGED-32bit MPC installation. I cannot get 64bitMPC to run SVP for frame interpolation.

I'm pleased though to say SVP DOES work for 720p at a solid 60fps, fullscreen, the very highest 720p GPU usage I have seen is 81% CPU Usage down in the teens, though the temps are high at about 80C, which is the thermal throttle point in my laptop. Tips for getting SVP to work with 64bit MPC to try getting 1080p content possibly working better on fullscreen 4k display.?

Suggestions excellent and appreciated.

Firstly, reinstall your video drivers as SVP said. Perhaps it will be solution for you.
You have switchable graphics and for better results reinstall both drivers: intel and NVIDIA.

I recomend to use DDU to completely remove all parts of corrupted drivers.
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/di … nload.html

16 (edited by James D 06-11-2018 11:49:34)

I also have 850M.  I remember I had drops where audio kept playing but I had a stopped frame for few seconds on HEVC with many newer drivers but not with older like 337.88. Since then I switched to 384.94 as I needed newer for SVP Code to work and other features.
I strongly suggest to try known good drivers at first, I use 384.94, or even try 337.88 just for the sake of test. Both might seem old now but Nvidia has atrocious driver development job for recent few years.

... also don't forget to do any performance-related comparisons in "high performance" power plan

18 (edited by Dude500 09-11-2018 22:05:02)

MAG79,
Thank you for suggestig DDU.
James D,
I am giving those drivers a try.
Chainik
Good to mention, I am in the "High Performance" plan.

I still get freezing when playing 1080p HEVC files under SVP (but not 720p HEVC/.265, I get 60FPS @ 200% Zoom for those) in 384.94 as well as 337.88. Looks owed to the lack of HW .265 decoders. Nothing to do with SVP or the drivers after all.

Getting AWAY from HEVC now I'm simply throttling to 548mhz from 862 or nearly 1000 when overclocked without overvolting. At 548mhz I get about 35 FPS in Full-[4K]screen 1080p mkvs' and 45fps for 720p mkvs' scaled up to the 4k screen while rendering using Custom Presenter, (identical to 416.34, which I switched back to), gpu-Z indicates that I am thermally limited to 652, 684 or 719mhz, if not 548 megahertz, sometimes 405mhz. The CPU-GPU-shared heatsink is copper in the NX500 and there are two fans, so it's sad that I am throttling so badly. The copper pipe has a very short run to the fans.

I may try to add new TIM to the GPU and CPU but I doubt that would do much of anything.

If I play the 1080p .264 VIDEOS UP TO 200% Zoom or smaller than that when the GPU throttling gets so bad to 548mhz, on the 4k display I get 60fps,
If I go much larger than 200% zoom (fullscreen), I will thermally throttle and fall to 55, going even larger, to 45fps and then at 'full-screen' about 32-35fps when throttled at 548mhz.

So the GTX 850M if not throttling seems quite close to capable of maintaining 60fps 4k fullscreen (1080p .264). I'm hitting 489mhz now. The fans are not very loud in this laptop, but the throttling is obviously markedly unpleasant.
Thank you for the help!
I'm leaning towards purchasing to support the project. I think SVP works well enough for me (even on the 4k/850m laptop).

19 (edited by Dude500 09-11-2018 21:07:59)

James D,
Is there knowledge of a program that modifies the 850M Voltage Control [reduction] for your laptop?

MSI Afterburner 3.0.0 and 4.5 are not allowing Voltage Control for the laptop 850m.
Thank you

20 (edited by James D 09-11-2018 00:47:03)

Dude500 wrote:

James D,
Is there knowledge of a program that modifies the 850M Voltage Control [reduction] for your laptop?

MSI Afterburner 3.0.0 and 4.5 are not allowing Voltage Control for the laptop 850m.
Thank you

Nvidia Inspector. Create an overclockig shortcut and in it's properties change -setvoltageoffset to -#.

21 (edited by Dude500 09-11-2018 21:38:12)

Nvidia Inspector. Create an overclockig shortcut and in it's properties change -setvoltageoffset to -#.

When I hit "Properties" of the created shortcut, I see in the "Target" box: "-setBaseClockOffset:0,0,135 -setMemoryClockOffset:0,0,0 -setVoltageOffset:0,0,12500 -setTempTarget:0,1,80." Does changing values in the shortcut Properties "Target" Box override the Nvidia Inspector 'Voltage-Offset' level, number-line?
     Also, the three numbers at "Target" Core/memory offset, etc are for P-states, is that correct?

Yes. Try -setVoltageOffset:0,0,-12500
But you might want to lower core overclocking, who knows.

23 (edited by Dude500 17-11-2018 02:37:01)

Trying up to about -55000 Voltage Offset. Inspector Voltage Offset still shows as +12.5mV or +6.3mV. The only thing I think that I can do to see if it is working is for example checking temp-cap: there is an 80C temp-cap in my laptop, setting temp target to 85 from 80 does not seem to work, and also still shows 80 in Inspector. Checking GPU-Z while running SVP doesn't look like the voltage offset is being carried either.
It seems an awful lot like the Voltage offset (and GPU temp cap) is being blocked by vBIOS hard-code.

There is a way to edit vBIOS of GPU but it is long way. First, you make a backup of BIOS, this one is fairly easy by launching backup command bat file (afudos or fpt.exe etc). Then extract vBIOS module with MMtool.exe (which is somewhat easy too) or UEFI Editor (https://www.win-raid.com/t3061f16-Guide … ITool.html). Then editing module in Maxwell vBIOS Editor. Then Replacing modded vBIOS module with stock one.
And then... complicated part, flash it. Some motherboards do not allow flashing it so you might be lucky or not. Some people flash from DOS. Some from Windows. Some have to use chip programmers with clips or even soldering chip out.

25 (edited by Dude500 19-11-2018 08:51:23)

How do you permanently save Nvidia Profile-Nspector Optimus String deletion for media player classic, or vlc? So that 850m Optimus Strings won't reset when the laptop sleeps or is shut down?