Topic: Requirements to run HDR 4k in 60 FPS

Hello,
I'm building a new PC and wanted to ask is the  i5-8600K enough to run HDR 4K on 60FPS or do I need the i7-8700K . on medium setting.

Re: Requirements to run HDR 4k in 60 FPS

I think additional cores should help. I got a Ryzen 7 1700 and it works for some 4K files. But the GPU is actually more helpful.

Quick questions, why go for an intel CPU after the Spectre / Meltdown debacle?

Spectre / Meltdown is only ~5% hit for games

dlr5668 wrote:

Spectre / Meltdown is only ~5% hit for games

Yeah but if Intel's engineers are that incompetent, they have completely lost my trust by now. And with AMD coming out with 12nm Zen+ CPUs in like 3 months, I see no reason to throw money in the direction of a company that will compromise everyone's security out of either incompetence or out of sheer malice.

Furthermore, I also game on Ryzen and I play most of my games at 120+ fps. More and more games support more than 4 threads. There is literally no reason to go intel in my opinion. Unless you live in really cold climate.

FYI, AMD is immune to only 1 out of 2 vulnerabilities and only on default settings of BIOS.
But yeah, Ryzen is smarter way considering performance hit in 20% on some heavy compute loads which Ryzen benefits over intel.

unfortunately it's not possible now to watch HDR with SVP

I can run 1080p on 60fps . but if i try to play 4k  (No HDR ) with SVP turned off  ,I can't because the codec used be MPC uses too much CPU . I had to uninstall SVP and install K-lite codec. it needs less CPU power .
Can someone please give me a solution for that so I can wait for Rysen new lineup  benchmarks ?

Try running your monitor in 48hz?

9 (edited by Godmax 10-01-2018 12:05:27)

Chainik wrote:

unfortunately it's not possible now to watch HDR with SVP

Are you working on a madVR HDR smooth version? smile I mean if you need the money just charge us with a few dollars for an HDR upgrade smile What do you say

I don't care about HDR so much yet, but 4K @ 60fps will be my next step from the 1080p @ 60fps that I have now. Need a new tv for that but I'm taking my time to put all the puzzle pieces together. After all, it's a lot of money that's involved. So, when the time comes I want to switch my Intel i7 2700K (doing 1080p @ 60fps just fine with some tuning) for a CPU that can do the 4K @ 60fps job in an equal matter. So far it's unclear to me what CPU I need to perform in the same way als my 2700K but then in 4K. Do I need 4 times the firepower or makes H265 it easier for the CPU? Is Intel or AMD Ryzen doing the job better per core? How many cores will be needed? I read on the site that the recommended hardware requirements say that an Intel i7 with 6 cores or a AMD Ryzen with 8 cores. Does that mean they perform equal? Is 6 Intel cores equal to 8 Ryzen cores in performance when it comes to SVP? In that case Intel cores seem to be more efficient for SVP. I would go the Intel way then and maybe even invest in a socket 2066 system.

I hope someone can clear things up for me? Thanks in advance.

Ryzen 7 8-cores, MPC-HC 64-bit - SVP @4K CPU load is less than 30%

Chainik wrote:

Wow, glad i stumbled on to this thread, that’s better than i had hoped. What specific ryzen 7 cpu? I assume this is a 4k 24fps video being interpolated to 60fps? Is 24fps to 72fps at 4k possible? And woulld I get the same results in 32 bit mpc-hc? Finally, given that the ryzen 7 series and the Intel i7-8700k score similarly in svpmark and the real world tests wouldn't the 8700k also work for 4k?

> What specific ryzen 7 cpu?

1700 @3.5 GHz

> Is 24fps to 72fps at 4k possible?

Yes, if it won't be limited by the video card

> And woulld I get the same results in 32 bit mpc-hc?

32-bit players are not a right choice for 4K

> wouldn't the 8700k also work for 4k?

yep

14 (edited by jaytrinitron 11-03-2018 00:30:08)

Chainik wrote:

> What specific ryzen 7 cpu?

1700 @3.5 GHz

> Is 24fps to 72fps at 4k possible?

Yes, if it won't be limited by the video card

> And woulld I get the same results in 32 bit mpc-hc?

32-bit players are not a right choice for 4K

> wouldn't the 8700k also work for 4k?

yep

Thank you for the info. Why would 32-bit not work for 4k, especially if you modify the prayer to be able to use more than 4gb memory? The reason I ask is I use reclock, which is only 32-bit. I could try custom resolutions but that's a lot harder and doesn't adjust on the fly if clocks change.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but the reason HDR isn't possible with SVP in mpc-hc is that it requires ffdshow, which doesn't support HDR passthrough, let alone 10 bit passthrough.

If this is true, do you have any plans to separate SVP from ffdshow in mpc-hc?

Also, using SVP cast to a Chromecast ultra could I playback 4k 60fps content? Would 4k 120fps be possible? Could I also disable SVP and use SVP cast to passthrough 4k 24fps content with HDR?

> HDR isn't possible with SVP in mpc-hc is that it requires ffdshow

Yes. To get 10bit output you need mpv-based player or VLC. Vapoursynth interface used.
https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Manual:SVP

> Could I also disable SVP and use SVP cast to passthrough 4k 24fps content with HDR?

nope

Thank you for answering my questions. I have been doing some research and I now see the upper limit of the chromecast ultra is 4k 30fps, and svpcast as I understand it does not support hdr passthrough anyway. That means I'll just use a very long hdmi cable from pc to tv. My only other questions are these: Is there any way vapoursynth could be implemented in MPC-HC somehow? Or failing that, are there plans for SVP to be separated from ffdshow in MPC-HC? Is 32-bit not suitable for 4k because of memory usage?

64-bit MPC-HC uses 3.7 GB of memory for 24->60 at highest "auto" settings (and Ryzen 7 at 3.4 GHz loaded up to 50% in this mode)
32-bit MPC-HC can't even reach 1.0 "SVP index" because it's memory bound with these settings

Chainik wrote:

Thnx, much better than I expected. So more than 8 cores is not going to be needed. Then I don't have to look at the socket 2066 platform or other more exotic and expensive platforms.

What can be said about SVP efficiency between Intel and AMD CPU's? Which one is doing SVP better per core?

> SVP @4K CPU load is less than 30%

let's say "50%" (at the highest "auto" settings and Ryzen 8-cores at 3.4 GHz), 8-bit video

Chainik wrote:

let's say "50%" (at the highest "auto" settings and Ryzen 8-cores at 3.4 GHz), 8-bit video

Ok, that sounds great but......what about 10bit video and HDR? Both will inevitably become part of mainstream videos. How much more firepower do I need to be able to handle 10bit and/or HDR too when it becomes mainstream/available?

22 (edited by jaytrinitron 12-03-2018 01:22:54)

Moondust76 wrote:
Chainik wrote:

Ok, that sounds great but......what about 10bit video and HDR? Both will inevitably become part of mainstream videos. How much more firepower do I need to be able to handle 10bit and/or HDR too when it becomes mainstream/available?

I'm going to try to answer both your posts.

The thing is, to my knowledge per core is a little harder to measure given differences in architectures, chipsets, etc. An i7-8700k and an intel x299 i7 or i9 do not have the same per core performance (As far as I am aware the 8700k is the strongest single thread performer currently available). If all your going to be using this computer for is video playback, then I imagine the ryzen 7 1700, 1700x, or 1800x is the right choice based on price. As far as I am aware, the more expensive 8700k would perform in between them (though they do all perform pretty close together as far as I know, and this is before any overclocking). This said, SVP almost always does better with more high performance cores, so a 10+ core x299 cpu or a threadripper (though i think a threadripper would perform worse than a 10+ x299) would probably beat all of the CPUs previously mentioned. But they are also a lot more costly and likely not required. Also I am only talking about SVP interpolation, not other video playback processes, though those are rarely CPU bound.

10bit video hardware decoding is supported on all modern CPUs and GPUs, so again I don't think you need to go too much outside the norm for this. To my knowledge, HDR depends. If you are just passing through HDR to an HDR display then HDR is just metadata in the file to my knowledge and the display will handle the HDR (meaning no specific hardware required). You will need a renderer that supports HDR passthrough though.

Now, if you're talking about 10-bit and HDR passthrough with SVP interpolation this isn't currently possible yet. I've been asking similar questions but based on the responses I've received in this thread and my own research I'm fairly certain 10-bit just isn't going to come to SVP on directshow players. If you're using mpv and/or vlc and therefore vapoursynth with SVP, 10-bit passthrough is already supported. HDR passthrough isn't yet but if it ever does happen it will likely happen on mpv first. I doubt HDR passthrough will add any extra strain to the interpolation (to my knowledge) as it is just extra metadata in the file and HDR display is handled by the renderer and/or the display, not SVP. I imagine 10bit increases the load on SVP at least a bit (churning out 10 bit instead of 8 bit frames) but by how much I am uncertain. I doubt it is very significant though, however that question may be worth asking either the developers or someone else who has used SVP with 10 bit.

23 (edited by dejavecue 13-03-2018 09:29:16)

jaytrinitron wrote:
Moondust76 wrote:
Chainik wrote:

I'm going to try to answer both your posts.

The thing is, to my knowledge per core is a little harder to measure given differences in architectures, chipsets, etc. An i7-8700k and an intel x299 i7 or i9 do not have the same per core performance (As far as I am aware the 8700k is the strongest single thread performer currently available). If all your going to be using this computer for is video playback, then I imagine the ryzen 7 1700, 1700x, or 1800x is the right choice based on price. As far as I am aware, the more expensive 8700k would perform in between them (though they do all perform pretty close together as far as I know, and this is before any overclocking). This said, SVP almost always does better with more high performance cores, so a 10+ core x299 cpu or a threadripper (though i think a threadripper would perform worse than a 10+ x299) would probably beat all of the CPUs previously mentioned. But they are also a lot more costly and likely not required. Also I am only talking about SVP interpolation, not other video playback processes, though those are rarely CPU bound.

I use mpv with SVP4 / latest Vapoursynth to achieve double framerate (my monitor supports 48, 50 and 60Hz modes) while upscaling (2160p monitor). I have been using an RX480 and an R7 1700 @ 3.9 Ghz.

With opengl as a renderer, 4K content only works at lowest interpolation settings reliably. With Vulkan as a renderer, higher settings are possible, but Vulkan does not work well with motion interpolation in my experience (crashes a lot).

10bit video hardware decoding is supported on all modern CPUs and GPUs, so again I don't think you need to go too much outside the norm for this. To my knowledge, HDR depends. If you are just passing through HDR to an HDR display then HDR is just metadata in the file to my knowledge and the display will handle the HDR (meaning no specific hardware required). You will need a renderer that supports HDR passthrough though.

Now, if you're talking about 10-bit and HDR passthrough with SVP interpolation this isn't currently possible yet. I've been asking similar questions but based on the responses I've received in this thread and my own research I'm fairly certain 10-bit just isn't going to come to SVP on directshow players. If you're using mpv and/or vlc and therefore vapoursynth with SVP, 10-bit passthrough is already supported. HDR passthrough isn't yet but if it ever does happen it will likely happen on mpv first. I doubt HDR passthrough will add any extra strain to the interpolation (to my knowledge) as it is just extra metadata in the file and HDR display is handled by the renderer and/or the display, not SVP. I imagine 10bit increases the load on SVP at least a bit (churning out 10 bit instead of 8 bit frames) but by how much I am uncertain. I doubt it is very significant though, however that question may be worth asking either the developers or someone else who has used SVP with 10 bit.

Chainik wrote:

Chainik wrote:

at highest "auto" settings (and Ryzen 7 at 3.4 GHz loaded up to 50% in this mode)

Actualy, these are not entirely true hmm
CPU load numbers are half-fake because of hyper-threading turned on.

Here's one more attempt, with Ryzen 8-cores at 3.4 GHz and HT off:

"lvl" = SVP "auto" profile level, 1 is highest settings.

lvl / MPC-HC / mpv

4K H.264 (8-bit)
1 / 90% / 100%, SVP index < 0.9
3 / 70% / 85%
5 / 60% / 70%

4K H.265/HDR (10-bit) -> 8-bit
5 / 60% / 85%

4K H.265/HDR (10-bit) -> 10-bit
Is not supported in MPC-HC, and is not playable in mpv - 60% CPU load while SVP index stays below 0.8.

1. mpv needs more CPU power (~by 20%) for 4K playback than MPC-HC
2. 10-bit 4K is a no-go in current mpv version - something is limiting performance very badly

===

For 1080p 10-bit HDR difference is not so huge.
MPC-HC (8-bit) - 25% CPU load
mpv (8-bit) - 27%
mpv (10-bit) - 34%

BTW, 10-bit mode in SVP is kind of broken big_smile - intermediate frames are rounded to 8-bit and colors are incorrect. Will be fixed ASAP.

Chainik wrote:
Chainik wrote:

Chainik wrote:

at highest "auto" settings (and Ryzen 7 at 3.4 GHz loaded up to 50% in this mode)

Actualy, these are not entirely true hmm
CPU load numbers are half-fake because of hyper-threading turned on.

Here's one more attempt, with Ryzen 8-cores at 3.4 GHz and HT off:

"lvl" = SVP "auto" profile level, 1 is highest settings.

lvl / MPC-HC / mpv

4K H.264 (8-bit)
1 / 90% / 100%, SVP index < 0.9
3 / 70% / 85%
5 / 60% / 70%

4K H.265/HDR (10-bit) -> 8-bit
5 / 60% / 85%

4K H.265/HDR (10-bit) -> 10-bit
Is not supported in MPC-HC, and is not playable in mpv - 60% CPU load while SVP index stays below 0.8.

1. mpv needs more CPU power (~by 20%) for 4K playback than MPC-HC
2. 10-bit 4K is a no-go in current mpv version - something is limiting performance very badly

===

For 1080p 10-bit HDR difference is not so huge.
MPC-HC (8-bit) - 25% CPU load
mpv (8-bit) - 27%
mpv (10-bit) - 34%

BTW, 10-bit mode in SVP is kind of broken big_smile - intermediate frames are rounded to 8-bit and colors are incorrect. Will be fixed ASAP.

Thank you for doing this. I have a few questions.

Why would you turn hyperthreading off if it improves the performance? Could we get a test with hyperthreading on?