Topic: Addressing the 4K HDR content + SVP options

Hi Devs & Users,

Hope everyone is doing well here, it has been a while. Now that a lot of content (TV Shows and Movies) are being released in 4K 10Bit HDR, those of us with supported TV's would love to be able to watch content in its best quality + SVP smoothness.

The option we currently have with SVP is to run HDR content through MPV, but we all know MPV power demands are a lot stronger than MPC. And the problem with MPC, is that ffdshow is required for SVP and ffdshow doesn't support 10-Bit HDR content.

Have any of you figured out a way to decrease the demand from MPV? Any other methods we can use to run 4K HDR content with SVP smoothly?

I am running a 4790K @ 4.7GHz and a GTX 1070. I have no issues using MPC + Madvr for 1080p and 4K content. Everything runs smoothly. But as mentioned above, SVP requires ffdshow with MPC to work, and that's a problem for HDR content. While on the other hand MPV feels like it needs at least twice the CPU power to run smoothly.

Right now the option I am using is copying my HDR movies & shows to a HDD, connecting the HDD to the TV and using the TV media player to watch HDR content, but it's a hassle. On top of that, the smoothness from the TV is nowhere near as good as the smoothness from SVP.

Re: Addressing the 4K HDR content + SVP options

Have you actually succeeded with watching HDR via mpv? And with SVP enabled? hmm

===
mpv (or probably Vapoursynth?) have some unknown performance issue with playing 4K (eny 4K, non-HDR too) with SVP

No @Chainik

That's my question, I was hoping there are settings or changes that can be made to MPV that would allow me to run 4K HDR content without issues. But yes, MPV can't even run normal 4K with no 10Bit HDR. However, I use MPC + Madvr for normal 4K content and it works perfectly. It's ffdshow limitation that won't allow 10Bit HDR content.

So no new methods yet available for 4K HDR Content with SVP?

mpv has absolutely no trouble playing UHD content @ 10 bit per channel (or higher). You simply have to use defaults (i.e. not use hardware decoding but let the CPU do it). It supports all the new(ish) content out of the box - and with the recent addition of a vulkan renderer, at even less performance cost.

Source: I have been watching 4k movies and series with mpv for months.

mpv is our only hope

dejavecue wrote:

mpv has absolutely no trouble playing UHD content @ 10 bit per channel (or higher).

"10 bit" is not equal to "hdr"
can you make mpv switch the TV to HDR mode?

6 (edited by brucethemoose 05-11-2017 02:43:37)

MPC-QT has a bunch of HDR and ToneMapping options, you should give that a shot. You can also do straight AviSynth or VapourSynth SVP with PotPlayer (no ffdshow needed), but I have no idea how well it supports HDR atm.

BTW, I get ~20% better CPU performance in MPV/MPC-QT than MPC-HC. HC can't even handle smaller block sizes on my 4670k. Mind you, I only watch stuff in 8 bits and mostly at 1080p ATM, and MPV does seem to use a bit more GPU with similar settings.

7 (edited by Blackfyre 06-11-2017 19:38:31)

dejavecue wrote:

mpv has absolutely no trouble playing UHD content @ 10 bit per channel (or higher). You simply have to use defaults (i.e. not use hardware decoding but let the CPU do it). It supports all the new(ish) content out of the box - and with the recent addition of a vulkan renderer, at even less performance cost.

Source: I have been watching 4k movies and series with mpv for months.

Please link me towards a tutorial (or if you can write a quick guide) on how to setup MPV to use vulkan (it didn't work when I tried it). Thanks.

Currently using these in the mpv.conf file, but with SVP performance is still horrible, cannot get any 4K video to run @ 60FPS without stuttering/laggy mess.

vo=opengl
opengl-backend=win
hwdec=d3d11va-copy
opengl-swapinterval=1
opengl-backend=angle
priority=abovenormal
cache=auto
cache-default=65536
cache-initial=8192
scale=ewa_lanczossharp
dscale=catmull_rom
correct-downscaling

Or if you say turning hardware acceleration OFF completely helps, then what do I write in the mpv.conf file to do that?

So there is no way to play HDR content (for HDR displays ofc) with SVP enabled and working? If not when can we expect that if ever?

4K has horrid performance lags on vapoursynth (mpc-qt, mpv etc). Hope it will be fixed one day.

So the problem is the ffdshow filter. SVP needs it. With the ffdshow HDR doesnt work sad Is there a future update planned for maybe MPC MPV HDR SVP options?