Topic: SVP extension for cutscene interpolation in video games

Is there any interest in using SVP to interpolate cutscenes in video games? From my experience, I find it rather jarring to experience a higher framerate during gameplay to then switch to a lower framerate in a cutscene. I'm unsure if such a feature would be feasible, but it would be much appreciated.

2 (edited by Anim8 10-11-2017 08:18:05)

Re: SVP extension for cutscene interpolation in video games

I'm not sure how you would do this in-game and would likely have to be a game by game case.
Not only would you need to find a way to interpolated the video, the video player used in game could be limited too. IMO its not going to be that feasible.

The only thing I can think of, is replacing the video files if possible with interpolated videos but,
It may not work or limited in fps anyway due to the games engine playback system, could be limited to 30fps playback regardless.
As in the engine locks the pre-rendered cut-scenes to 30fps, regardless of the fps the video was encoded at.

An example of doing this was done in Nier.
https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2017/03/n … ers/26434/

Yeah, find video files, convert those and try running a game. we will await for feedback.

4 (edited by brucethemoose 10-11-2017 19:35:00)

I've heard that interpolation is theoretically possible in ReShade. And this is kinda what spacewarp already does in VR (it pans a still image at 90FPS even if the game refresh rate is lower)

However, that is WAY outside SVP's scope for many reasons. To do this, you'd need to totally start from scratch.