Topic: SVP-compatible player that does full casting

There are a great many video players out there, some of which can be made to work with SVP.  And some do casting (as in casting to a Chromecast dongle attached to a TV).  The question is, which players can do BOTH?  I just ran my first SVP player, MPC-HC.  Looks great.  But it has no casting.  Don't tell me to use Chrome to cast the desktop, as that has crummy results.  The casting that YouTube has built in is fabulous.  I'm convinced that, at least at present, good casting must be built in to the player.

2 (edited by Anim8 04-10-2017 05:38:10)

Re: SVP-compatible player that does full casting

I do this using a Steam Link but its limited to 30mbps@1080p for the bit rate.
You can either Stream the Desktop, or add the media player as a Non-Steam game into Steam, to just stream the video with no desktop.

While I haven't used one the Nvidia Shield likely results in the best quality(100mbps+@4k w/HDR), but it also costs a lot more and requires a Nvidia GPU.

Or if you happen to have Raspberry PI+Nvidia GPU, consider trying moon-light.
http://moonlight-stream.com/

TCmullet wrote:

Don't tell me to use Chrome to cast the desktop, as that has crummy results..

I believe Chrome maybe limited to BT.601 color. Most video uses BT.701 color.
So it results in a washed out look due to color shift. Greens and Blues, in particular get hit the hardest.

Chrome seems to ignore the color tags on videos and use BT.601 regardless.
You can test this your self using the below.
Play in Chrome and then also in your media player and notice the colors have shifted in chrome.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp341q … YOz88BTfsw

Use an eyedropper program to check the colors.
https://i.cubeupload.com/IrkeeS.png

Source: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php? … ost1806983

> The question is, which players can do BOTH?

VLC?

link

download the latest 3.0 nightly build and update SVP's "VLC support" package to get a 3.0-compatible plugin

===
in fact this's an interesting topic, I'm going to order a Chromecast Ultra to try it myself smile

===
SMPlayer

Got the device...

SMPlayer just shares local files via its own http server.

VLC is buggy as hell, I can barely cast anything w/o errors hmm And even if I can, seems like it disables all the video filters including the deinterlace/SVP one.

5 (edited by Anim8 06-10-2017 04:54:01)

Chainik wrote:

Got the device...

VLC is buggy as hell, I can barely cast anything w/o errors hmm And even if I can, seems like it disables all the video filters including the deinterlace/SVP one.

What about trying OBS + NGINX?

Problem is Chromecast needs HLS stream rather than RTMP, so nginx server is needed. RTMP to -> HLS + local HTML host for Chromecast to access stream.
Takes a bit to setup but once its setup should be easy to start/stop.

Note that I haven't tried it, nor do I have a Chromecast

http://michaelrtm.me/obs-nginx-rtmp-windows-and-me/

https://obsproject.com/

Maybe Kodi can as well?

Too complicated hmm
One will need to run OBS + nginx, and then find and run some Android controller app, to point Chromecast to that stream.

AFAIU Videostream and Stream2Chromecast somehow make it work using only ffmpeg, w/o nginx

I'm starting to think that a SVP plugin for Chromecast can be useful... (but it will require Chomecast Ultra just because older devices support high frame rate at 720p only)

Edit: it supports 60 Hz too

7 (edited by TCmullet 09-10-2017 05:12:21)

Chainik wrote:

Got the device...

What exactly are you saying here, please?  That is, what is the implication of this??  Is this any hindrance whatsoever to casting the output of SMplayer, especially when the SMplayer is outputting SVP-generated extra frames????

I have been trusting that WHATEVER SMplayer plays to the screen will be cast to the "castee" (TV).

Chainik wrote:

in fact this's an interesting topic, I'm going to order a Chromecast Ultra to try it myself smile

Depending on why you need Chromecast, the Chromecast Ultra would indeed be a good choice over the cheaper regular one.  $70 well spent, if you need it.  I actually was going to try to return my non-Ultra as an exchange ex post facto, and Best Buy was open to consider options if I "join", which I just did.  But I've been too busy to collect the stuff (hardware, packaging, receipts, etc.).  And just as well as I am thinking now that keeping the non-Ultra as a backup is a good thing, as there will be many lower-grade video streams that I want to cast, esp. if the Ultra is tied up with something else.  But yes, get an Ultra.

While waiting for answers, I've done further reading.  It looks more and more like SMPlayer does NOT stream its player output but rather casts directly from a video file.  This is useless,  I need the player (a player), no matter what it's source, if it can play it, it can cast it.

TCmullet wrote:
Chainik wrote:

Got the device...

What exactly are you saying here, please?  That is, what is the implication of this??

Exactly this:

SMPlayer does NOT stream its player output but rather casts directly from a video file.

Chainik wrote:

I'm starting to think that a SVP plugin for Chromecast can be useful...

Yes, so useful I've been planning for days to upgrade from SVP Free to SVP Pro (3 copies), based on the belief that player output is cast, but now cannot until SVP output can be cast.  If I'm able at that time (and I need it *yesterday*), I'll be your first SVP Pro buyer after the player-casting works.

Let me add a report to all this.  I bought my Chromecast about 2 mos. ago.  Had trouble setting it up.  Most use their cell phone.  I just bought one for the first time (a cell phone) but don't have service yet.  The docs said I could set it up via a tablet connected to my router.   Chrome had a bug preventing me.  I had voice contact with Chromecast tech support, whereby they conviniced me and walked me through setup via my new smart phone with wifi.  Later I switched the tablet to Chrome Canary.  Canary didn't have the bug and I could re-setup via the tablet.  (I don't remember why I wanted to re-set it up.)  All this was merely why I was in contact with support at all.

After a short time, I concluded that Chromecast isn't adequate; I needed Chromecast Ultra and I went and bought it.  I've had two more lengthy calls (totally probably a couple hours--and his Phillipine accent isn't bad) with the same rep trying to solve a couple mysteries/problems, the greatest of which was why can't I get 60fps video out of the unit.  In the process he had me do direct casting from a Youtube video.  I picked one I had uploaded long ago that I KNEW was 1080p60.  When I used the cast feature built into YT, it worked BEAUTIFULLY.  Stunning picture, stunningly smooth 60 fps action throughout with no stutters whatsoever.  You couldn't tell this was not live TV.  (I have a 32" 1080p RCA TV.)  THIS proved that Chromecast can do it, but we had to use the ethernet connection, not wifi.

We could not get LOCAL files to play successful at 60fps.  He was going to have his supervisor call me later.  But the supervisor never did.  I think it's because the answer is, Chrome cannot do it.  I think I found the reason why; it's that to cast, Chrome has to re-render the video before streaming to the device.  This is for "cast tab" as well as "cast desktop".  Apparentlyj, individual sources of video, such as Youtube, need to implement the casting protocol and have a cast button on their webpage.  (Youtube does have that cast button now.)  So it appears that none of the players that SVP will work with, does casting of the player's output.  Hence there IS a need for an SVP "something" to send output directly to a Chromecast Ultra.  If this was here now, I'd definitely buy 3 copies of SVP Pro

Don't know what you're talking about hmm
Just downloaded random 1080@60 fps video from Youtube and successfully cast it from a hard drive via "Videostream" Chrome extension (which is actually not an extension but a native Windows application). BTW, using good-old 802.11n Wi-Fi, not even 5G big_smile

Chainik wrote:

Just downloaded random 1080@60 fps video from Youtube and successfully cast it from a hard drive via "Videostream" Chrome extension (which is actually not an extension but a native Windows application). BTW, using good-old 802.11n Wi-Fi, not even 5G big_smile

I am in contact with Videostream guys for them to find why things won't play locally.  I suspect you can play your file thru Videostream as I'm sure YT created a file to fit Chrome's narrow standards for how a video file should be encoded.  A zillion files are out there (and being created at home) that do not fit Chrome's limitted list.  I think Videostream is claiming to play them, but so far I haven't seen it.  There's still a need for the SVP tool that you described.  My 1080i30 files have not been successfully cast, whether interlaced or bobbed.  (MPC-HC does a nice job bobbing my files, but alas I can't cast that to the Ultra.  MPC has "cast" in it's options, but I can't find any info on what it means there nor how to invoke it.)  The author of SMPlayer kindly confirmed to me that he doesn't pipe his video out to casting, but merely pipes files in Chrome's "list".

Chainik wrote:

Chainik, please download this 10-sec sample and play it (or attempt to) in VideoStream.
http://www.tomsgoodfiles.com/2017-09-19 … 0.10sec.TS
1.  Does it play for YOU?
2.  Does Videostream deinterlace and bob it into 1080p60?  (You might not be able to tell, I realize.  It could not be deinterlace/bobbing and still look right if viewed on a TV.)

A zillion files are out there (and being created at home) that do not fit Chrome's limitted list.  I think Videostream is claiming to play them, but so far I haven't seen it.

Yeah, the list of supported codecs/containers is very limited, and Videostream (and all other Node.js-based command line tools) are doing on-the-fly transcoding into segmented MP4 stream using ffmpeg.
SVP will [probably] do exactly the same thing except for additional 24-to-60 fps conversion.

Feeding ffmpeg transcoder with interlaced contents is definitely not a good idea, I won't do this big_smile

===
ffmpeg has a deinterlacing filter but I really doubt Videostream uses it