Topic: Plea - open source SVP

I would really like if you'd consider releasing the source code of SVP.

I'd feel much safer running something that I can personally inspect, and know that everyone else can do the same.

Full version of SVP is already free on Linux(which I use, and I supported SVP on Indiegogo anyway), so I'm not asking for this because I want to save money. In fact, if SVP goes open source, I'll happily support it again.

Is there any chance that SVP will adopt a GPL license? I do understand that there's an interest for you against this (paid macOS and Windows features), but I'm still hoping that you'll consider the community gains.

Or maybe you could release source code so experienced people can compile themselves and have the binaries behind a paywall? (even though that can backfire in form of someone forking and providing binaries for free..)

Re: Plea - open source SVP

How would this be monetised of it's open source? The gratis version of the software already offers the functionality which almost everyone is interested in.

3 (edited by brucethemoose 24-07-2017 08:08:56)

adamkex wrote:

How would this be monetised of it's open source? The gratis version of the software already offers the functionality which almost everyone is interested in.

Open source =/= free. Paid, copyrighted products with public source code does exist.

GPL is not gonna happen (as that DOES imply a free program), but posting at least part of the code under a license like this:

https://github.com/Regalis11/Barotrauma … r/EULA.txt

Could work. That being said, the devs have more incentive to keep it closed, I believe, and open sourcing it would require some work.

C0rn3j wrote:

Full version of SVP is already free on Linux

its only free because its hard to support shitloads of distros

Open source =/= free. Paid, copyrighted products with public source code does exist.

they only exist because of the paid online subscription (Plex) / support, or it requires some hardware to work with (Lightpack), or the software is used on a corporate market (Ubuntu)

brucethemoose wrote:
adamkex wrote:

GPL is not gonna happen (as that DOES imply a free program), but posting at least part of the code under a license like this:

https://github.com/Regalis11/Barotrauma … r/EULA.txt

Could work. That being said, the devs have more incentive to keep it closed, I believe, and open sourcing it would require some work.

Those definitely exist. But the questions still stands. SVP adds more features to some media players. It's not like Red Hat where they can offer enterprise support of their OS to corporate. Someone would fork it and a lot less people would pay for it.

Chainik wrote:

they only exist because of the paid online subscription (Plex) / support, or it requires some hardware to work with (Lightpack), or the software is used on a corporate market (Ubuntu)

Actually there's a fourth option, a company offers an open-source product and offers a closed-source premium one. (for example Nginx PLUS https://www.nginx.com/products/ )

I believe this could work for SVP, at least to some extent.

I think the free portion of Windows version could be open-sourced, since that's free anyway.

Then I believe the Linux version could be open-sourced, as that's free anyway, but I don't know how much of the code is shared between the Windows version.

Opinions?

> but I don't know how much of the code is shared between the Windows version.

100% wink

Chainik wrote:

> but I don't know how much of the code is shared between the Windows version.

100% wink

Welp, I thought it's going to be high since I recall you moved to Qt, but I didn't expect it's going to be identical.

Are there any circumstances under which you'd open source the project?

Or is there any plan to do that in X years?

Personally I just really want to avoid proprietary software just to watch my videos in a decent quality.

C0rn3j wrote:

Personally I just really want to avoid proprietary software just to watch my videos in a decent quality.

Use mpv, which is completely FOSS. If you really have trouble with SVP being closed source, you could always try to use mvtools for SVP-like frame interpolation. Or you could write your own software to do the exact same thing.

It's not like this is a software that is absolutely essential to everyday tasks.