1 (edited by pbjacob 05-06-2017 08:06:25)

Topic: Will SVP-team update your MEMC algorithm in the future?

I've bought SVP 4 on mac, and it gives me a great experience on videos. So firstly I have to say, thank you so much for your hard working.

Then, my question.

Yes, the frame interpolation gives a smooth motion, BUT sometimes additionally brings some blurred, ghost shapes around the moving object, especially when the moving object is in front of a complex background.

For example, when a boy is running in front of some flowers or a building with many windows, it looks as if some soap bubbles are following the boy!

So,  for this phenomenon, can it be fixed by the optimization of the algorithm? Or is it a native weakness of MEMC that can never be fixed well forever no matter which algorithm is applied?

Thank you!

Re: Will SVP-team update your MEMC algorithm in the future?

This is what "Artifact masking" is there for. But it is not perfect. I think only if you pre-encode files to higher framerates, these artifacts can be eliminated (not sure).

3 (edited by Mystery 23-06-2017 01:47:37)

In theory, SVP should produce the same results as Avisynth MvTools. In practice, there are more blurs and ghost effects due to a nasty bug somewhere.

This has been discussed in-depth here.

Mystery wrote:

In theory, SVP should produce the same results as Avisynth MvTools. In practice, there are more blurs and ghost effects due to a nasty bug somewhere.

This has been discussed in-depth here.

I afraid Chainik does not believe this.

luckily for us it's not a question of belief big_smile

In addition to the artifact masking setting, you can also try increase the Motion vectors grid to a larger block size. (IE 24px or 28px)
Note that it will lower the smoothness but it should also help reduce/lower the artifacts on moving objects.