Topic: Low SVP Index in film mode on very high spec PC

Hello,

I'm trying to use SVP to watch videos that are:

• Scaled up to 2548x1440

• FPS increased to 120

This works great using the following settings:

http://i.imgur.com/hbSzFiB.png

However, if I change the mode from "Animation" to "Film", I cannot get anywhere close to 1.0 SVP index.

My CPU usage and GPU usage are never maxed out, so I don't know what the issue with it is.

My computer has an 1800X and a 1080 Ti, and is running on a Samsung 850 Pro SSD, so I don't know where the bottleneck could be.

Let me know how to proceed or if what I'm trying to do just isn't possible for some reason smile

Thanks!

Re: Low SVP Index in film mode on very high spec PC

> 1800X

check that power plan is set to "high performance" i.e. there're no "parked" cores in the Task Manager

Chainik wrote:

> 1800X

check that power plan is set to "high performance"

Thanks for the reply smile

It's set to high performance and I'm not having issues with performance in any other applications.

if you're on 32-bit player - try MPC-HC 64-bit at the first place

Chainik wrote:

if you're on 32-bit player - try MPC-HC 64-bit at the first place

I am using the 64-bit version of MPC-HC

ran out of ideas big_smile

mine 1700 + 1070 play anything including 4K with almost any settings

This is the highest I can set it to while maintaining 1.0 svp index with "Film" preset

http://i.imgur.com/eoDQszH.png

App. settings -> Additional options -> Processing threads = Auto ?

9 (edited by Evairfairy 05-04-2017 16:43:47)

Chainik wrote:

Yep, it's already set to auto sad

It's worth noting that none of my cores get anywhere near 100% usage

may be for some reason 120 fps at resolution higher than FullHD is a bottleneck (video renderer? try simple EVR, madVR)

===
nevermind, you're good with lower settings but it's still 2K @120 fps hmm

Chainik wrote:

may be for some reason 120 fps at resolution higher than FullHD is a bottleneck (video renderer? try simple EVR, madVR)

I tried different renderers and players before and that didn't help.

Setting it to fixed 60fps works perfectly, 75fps almost works and anything higher than that stutters, causing the video and audio to desync.

Just watching at 60fps instead works for me smile

Do you know what the bottleneck might be? The CPU and GPU usage don't seem to be noticeably lower at 60fps :S

Thanks for the help!

12 (edited by Blackfyre 05-04-2017 22:51:26)

This is very strange, your system is more than strong enough to handle 120FPS. Something is wrong, somewhere. Having seen the replies, I have by Chainik, he already explored most options for you.

Okay first of all don't set SVP to fixed FPS of 120. Set it to 5x video framerate.

Use MPC (Media Player Classic) + Madvr (in Madvr setting, go to rendering tab on the left menu, and then under it in Smooth Motion, make sure you enable it and select ALWAYS).

Right click SVP and go to video frame menu... select (choose both) KEEP Aspect Ratio and KEEP Normal Size... Untick (deselect) detect and cut off black bars.

Right click SVP and go to Outer Lighting menu... select disabled.

Right click SVP and go to Additional Settings menu... Go to GPU Acceleration and make sure you choose your GTX 1080 Ti

-

IF this fixes your issues and everything runs smoothly. Ask @Chainik to show you how to edit the full settings to make you choose 6x framerate. Because 6x framerate will be smoother than 5x. Your CPU should handle it.

I have a 4790K @ 4.6Ghz and a GTX 1070 and I can easily run 1080p content upscaled to 4K at 4x the framerate.

Native 4K content though is a different story.

EDIT:

OH and finally I forgot, right click desktop, go to nVidia Control Panel, go to Mange 3D Profiles on the left menu at the top, then go to Program Settings and find MPC, under Power Management Mode, choose Prefer maximum performance. And obviously make sure you're using the current latest drivers from nVidia.

13 (edited by Anim8 06-04-2017 02:01:20)

Evairfairy wrote:
Chainik wrote:

Yep, it's already set to auto sad

It's worth noting that none of my cores get anywhere near 100% usage

As someone which uses 120fps with a 6700k, auto threads results in a low SVP index.

Try set a larger number of computation threads such as 15 - 23 threads.

Try set a larger number of computation threads such as 15 - 23 threads.

it's already = 25 cause he has 16-threads Ryzen

Blackfyre wrote:

This is very strange, your system is more than strong enough to handle 120FPS. Something is wrong, somewhere. Having seen the replies, I have by Chainik, he already explored most options for you.

Okay first of all don't set SVP to fixed FPS of 120. Set it to 5x video framerate.

Use MPC (Media Player Classic) + Madvr (in Madvr setting, go to rendering tab on the left menu, and then under it in Smooth Motion, make sure you enable it and select ALWAYS).

Right click SVP and go to video frame menu... select (choose both) KEEP Aspect Ratio and KEEP Normal Size... Untick (deselect) detect and cut off black bars.

Right click SVP and go to Outer Lighting menu... select disabled.

Right click SVP and go to Additional Settings menu... Go to GPU Acceleration and make sure you choose your GTX 1080 Ti

-

IF this fixes your issues and everything runs smoothly. Ask @Chainik to show you how to edit the full settings to make you choose 6x framerate. Because 6x framerate will be smoother than 5x. Your CPU should handle it.

I have a 4790K @ 4.6Ghz and a GTX 1070 and I can easily run 1080p content upscaled to 4K at 4x the framerate.

Native 4K content though is a different story.

EDIT:

OH and finally I forgot, right click desktop, go to nVidia Control Panel, go to Mange 3D Profiles on the left menu at the top, then go to Program Settings and find MPC, under Power Management Mode, choose Prefer maximum performance. And obviously make sure you're using the current latest drivers from nVidia.

Thanks for the assistance but this didn't help sad

Also I tried setting computation threads to a specific amount and it just crashed MPC

Hi, question for chainik about the statement of backfire regarding of setting the smooth motion on madvr, it's that right? , for my I think no only increase the renders time, what could leave of dropping frames and also diminished the flow of smoothness.

I don't think one really need madVR's "smooth motion" together with SVP. It makes sense watching 23.976 on 60 screen but not in our case - e.g. 59.94 to 60.02.
Probably it's better to do true interpolation up to 60.02 - see "Target frame rate" -> "Force the exact value" in the latest SVP build.
But I'm personally good with just 59.94 wink

Hi Chainik,  thanks for reply , yeah I think so too, 59,94 and it's done, especially when using a TV, until now is what I use , I already try the new option, and I have to say that work great for my, even better than before, downside of all this watching without svp it's getting harder every time, I mean friends house, girlfriend house, even when I go to a cinema, but don't worry I can't handle it, thanks for this awesome program ;-)