Re: Ryzen Megathread

(c) iXBT.com

Post's attachments

svpmark-ixbt-ryzen.png, 30.13 kb, 687 x 644
svpmark-ixbt-ryzen.png 30.13 kb, 612 downloads since 2017-03-15 

The Ryzen CPU's are the best price/performance ratio in their category. Wonder how the two smaller brothers of the 1800X do on the benchmark.

wow,ryzen much btter than my i7 skylake..

Chainik wrote:

svpmark-ixbt-ryzen.png (c) iXBT.com

SVPmark's score-per-$ and score-per-watt graphs would be more essential.

> Wonder how the two smaller brothers of the 1800X do on the benchmark.

Already have 1700 + mobo + ram ordered, will assemble it next week wink

Chainik wrote:

Already have 1700 + mobo + ram ordered, will assemble it next week wink

Looking forward to updates from you wink

nemoW wrote:
Chainik wrote:

svpmark-ixbt-ryzen.png (c) iXBT.com

SVPmark's score-per-$ and score-per-watt graphs would be more essential.

1700 All cores 3.7 ghz is 88 watts at 100% load. 6900k is 140 watts?

playing FullHD after latest Windows update - first 6 logical cores in use, last 10 cores in "parked" state

Post's attachments

svp-ryzen-cpu-load.png, 26.59 kb, 810 x 432
svp-ryzen-cpu-load.png 26.59 kb, 614 downloads since 2017-03-25 

... and it seems like Windows does this "threads job" wrong, because 4K is unusable with SMT on

works like a charm with SMT off

35 (edited by James D 25-03-2017 22:58:08)

Windows scheduler doesn't see a difference between a logical and actual cores. If I had 8-core I wouldn't use SMT.... however that's because I am not a creator because those would use parallel calculations.
P.S. Also AMD insists that you should use High Performance power plan.

Yep, your're right, the problem with 4K was in "balanced" power plan.
One of the latest Windows update switched it from "high performance" and I forget to check it one more time...

For some reason mpv player gives huge CPU load for 4K playback - twice as high as in MPC-HC 64-bit.
Which is sad cause 10-bit color depth supported only in mpv.

Great results, with more optimization on Windows from Microsoft, there should be improvements over time. Have you tried using Process Lasso and playing around with it? I purchased it a while ago and it has been installed on all my systems since I started using it.

Chainik wrote:

For some reason mpv player gives huge CPU load for 4K playback - twice as high as in MPC-HC 64-bit.
Which is sad cause 10-bit color depth supported only in mpv.

Yeah man, remember I tried to tell you before MPV uses a lot more CPU power and for some reason I cannot play 4K content using MPV with my 4790K @ 4.60Ghz

well, actually after some tuning I can play 4K in mpv - "one pixel" instead of "half pixel" and disable "decrease grid step"
still it gives x1.5-2 CPU load comparing to MPC-HC and can't handle higher settings even if CPU is sitting below 60% load

Chainik wrote:

well, actually after some tuning I can play 4K in mpv - "one pixel" instead of "half pixel" and disable "decrease grid step"
still it gives x1.5-2 CPU load comparing to MPC-HC and can't handle higher settings even if CPU is sitting below 60% load

That's with your Ryzen 1700 yes?

I don't think it's possible with my 4 cores / 8 threads (4790K). CPU runs at ~86% with MPV, but 4K content is choppy as hell.

Seems like everyone's suspicions that Ryzen's core count and love for high frequency memory would mean it performs well here. What I'm really wondering is if Threadripper with its 4 memory channels will do even better. Would love to see a comparison between a 1700 and 1900X.

Ironclad wrote:

Seems like everyone's suspicions that Ryzen's core count and love for high frequency memory would mean it performs well here. What I'm really wondering is if Threadripper with its 4 memory channels will do even better. Would love to see a comparison between a 1700 and 1900X.

I don't think you will see much difference. I am running a Ryzen 7 1700 @3.8 Ghz with 16GiB of RAM @ 2933 Mhz and with SVP4 pro (mpv) version, CPU usage never goes above 10% even. SVP seems to be mostly GPU intensive.

42 (edited by dlr5668 08-09-2017 00:10:25)

1700 is overkill for 1080p. Its more than enough even for 4k

dlr5668 wrote:

1700 is overkill for 1080p. Its more than enough even for 4k

Only low bitrate 4k files work though. Again, CPU seems to be less important than GPU and my RX 480 cannot handle most 4k files with SVP4 decently.

44 (edited by Taudris 16-09-2017 20:29:00)

I've been utterly unable to get my Ryzen 1700 and RX 480 to play 4k files with interpolation. 1080p works fine with interpolation enabled and maxed out. 4k plays fine without interpolation with almost no CPU usage. 4k also plays fine if I leave SVP enabled and turn off interpolation in the SVP app, again with almost no CPU usage.

With interpolation enabled, the SVP index hovers around 0.6 to 0.9, and the results are unwatchable. CPU usage is low (it's under 10% on the lowest settings), GPU usage is low, and there's tons of free system and GPU memory. Doesn't matter what player I use; I've tried MPC-HC 32 and 64 each with madVR and EVR, mpv, and SMPlayer. Changing interpolation settings up or down changes CPU usage, but it's always low enough to theoretically play perfectly. Changing threads doesn't seem to have any impact. I get the same results whether I tell SVP to use my GPU or not. The SVP event log shows nothing interesting.

I just can't figure it out...

45 (edited by Ironclad 20-09-2017 01:13:09)

dejavecue wrote:

I don't think you will see much difference. I am running a Ryzen 7 1700 @3.8 Ghz with 16GiB of RAM @ 2933 Mhz and with SVP4 pro (mpv) version, CPU usage never goes above 10% even. SVP seems to be mostly GPU intensive.

You're running a fairly high end CPU so that's understandable. In my experience ram frequency is the biggest bottleneck once you have a more than 4 threads.  I bet if you go to 2133 MHz on your ram you'll start dropping frames.

Taudris wrote:

I've been utterly unable to get my Ryzen 1700 and RX 480 to play 4k files with interpolation. 1080p works fine with interpolation enabled and maxed out. 4k plays fine without interpolation with almost no CPU usage. 4k also plays fine if I leave SVP enabled and turn off interpolation in the SVP app, again with almost no CPU usage.

I haven't done anything 4K but that doesn't seem right at all. SVP scales pretty linearly so 4K should only take 4x the processing power. What's your target framerate and what's your cpu usage on EVR with 1080p videos.

Went ahead and got a 1920x and Vega56. Since Ryzen scales so well
seemed like a good choice. Will be retiring a 1230v3 and a GTX 770.
Water cooled O.C. 4100 12 cores should fun to play with.