Topic: Is it worth to buy a intel i7?

Hello,

I am new on the forum, but not on SVP using (for years I use it). I even bought SVP4 Pro yesterday ^^.

I have a question like on the title. I was wondering :

Is it worth to buy a intel i7 CPU to get better quality/perf ratio?

I mean I have for now, a i5 (3700Mhz). I want to get the best smoothness and the less artefact effects (ghost, halo around moving objects) than possible. My GFX card is NVIDIA GTX970 for info.

Do i7s really > i5s on SVP4 ???

Does it give real benefits?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Is it worth to buy a intel i7?

probably yes if you need 4K playback and your i5 can't handle best settings in SVP's auto mode...

but you'd better buy Ryzen big_smile

3 (edited by Tinky 22-02-2017 09:59:04)

Hello Dev,

Thanks for reply.

Ryzen and change all my config xD lol

Do you think that a Core i7-6700K 4.0 GHz can handle (smoothest anytime) FULL max settings for 1080p.

Indeed, I am playing 1080p videos (not more).

if you don't want 4K then i5 should be enough

5 (edited by Tinky 22-02-2017 11:18:59)

What I want to reach, is being able to get full smooth + no artifacts.

For now, If I set interpolation to adaptative or max smooth -> artifacts often on moving objects, arround edges (a kind of ghosting).

Even if masking is set to high.

Not really beautiful sad

Indeed when I set it to very strongest, it eliminates artifacts but it runs not smooth at all sad

For exemple, traveling gets jerky.

6 (edited by Anim8 22-02-2017 12:46:41)

Tinky wrote:

What I want to reach, is being able to get full smooth + no artifacts.

Even with the best hardware it won't be artifact free + full smooth.
As you increase the smoothness you will increase the artifacts.
The extra frames are guess work, it has to make up information which doesn't exist, by using an algorithm with the frames which do exist.
The halos you see around moving objects is a side a affect of this, but you can try balance smoothness vs artifacts.

7 (edited by Tinky 22-02-2017 12:53:33)

Hi Anim8 and thanks for reply,

Ok, but when checking masking artifacts to the best value, it shows no really ghosh or unwanted visual effect.

But my renderer suffers a bit, very short-jerking sad sad. So I was thinking that maybe if I had a better CPU, I could be able to get full smooth + this masking-artifact option to max, and have a very clean animation and smooth?

What config to have to set masking to max without loosing smooth?

Tinky wrote:

What config to have to set masking to max without loosing smooth?

Its not possible to use max artifacts masking and still have it as smooth as if it was disabled.
If you really dislike the artifacts I would recommend using strong at the most but its really trying to balance the smoothness vs artifacts again.

The most demanding settings don't necessarily give you the best.
Take the Motion vectors grid for example the most demanding is 6px block size which will give max smoothness but it will also increase the artifacts greatly. Where 12px block size wont be as smooth vs 6px but the artifacts will be reduced. Or go 24px block size which will lower the amount of artifacts again but at the cost of less smoothness in motion. In some cases the 24px block size will look the best yet the least demanding at the same time.  (ie in anime for example)

9 (edited by Tinky 22-02-2017 13:51:09)

Hmm what if I change my monitor to a 120hz? Will it be better (as 120 is multiple of 24)? (or 144hz -> 6*24)

For now I have 60hz stucked one.

Tinky wrote:

Hmm what if I change my monitor to a 120hz? Will it be better (as 120 is multiple of 24)? (or 144hz -> 6*24)

For now I have 60hz stucked one.

It will help in terms of playback pacing (no pull down) but the artifacts generated in the interpolated frames will still be there.

Ok thanks.

Then what about a 24p TV connected on hdmi?