1 (edited by Elliot 18-01-2017 23:54:06)

Topic: Latest SVP4Linux Bug Report Thread

Thursday, January 19th
SVP Version 4.1.0.101

SVTube works now, there are however two new repetitive and replicable issues occurring as a result of the fix.

.)While still interpolating Youtube and other streams perfectly, SVP now produces noticeable stuttering, lag and occasional A/V desync during the interpolation of local files, despite CPU/GPU load in conjunction to other factors remaining normal and unchanged.

.)SVP now fails to register mpv instances launched with the "--input-ipc-server=/tmp/mpvsocket" argument. They are not picked up or interpolated.

After rolling back to the previous version both of these issues disappear.

Re: Latest SVP4Linux Bug Report Thread

nothing has changed except for explicit removing of "vapoursynth" filter (if any) from the mpv's vf chain on new video playback start

... which is the case when opening another video in the same mpv instance

3 (edited by Elliot 19-01-2017 20:28:58)

I use my own vapoursynth script in conjunction with SVP, by adding it as a filter via --vf option in mpv. I do it because of SVP's GPU acceleration support and due to my 8 core dying recently.
If your CPU can handle it, try the script by itself just as a filter in mpv, which is what I'll do once Ryzen blesses my workstation.
Check it out, it works great.

It was originally created by haasn from github, but I modified some of the parameters to make the interpolation constant and more effective.

I have noticed, that usage of the script is no longer reported in SVP's log after the update, but the issues are still unrelated I believe. Doing more testing now.

import vapoursynth as vs
core = vs.get_core()
clip = video_in

dst_fps = display_fps
while (dst_fps > 60):
    dst_fps /= 2

if not (clip.width > 2560 or clip.height > 1440 or container_fps > 59):
    src_fps_num = int(container_fps * 1e8)
    src_fps_den = int(1e8)
    dst_fps_num = int(dst_fps * 1e4)
    dst_fps_den = int(1e4)
    clip = core.std.AssumeFPS(clip, fpsnum = src_fps_num, fpsden = src_fps_den)
    print("Reflowing from ",src_fps_num/src_fps_den," fps to ",dst_fps_num/dst_fps_den," fps.")

sup  = core.mv.Super(clip, pel=2)
    bvec = core.mv.Analyse(sup, isb=True , overlap=0)
    fvec = core.mv.Analyse(sup, isb=False, overlap=0)
    clip = core.mv.BlockFPS(clip, sup, bvec, fvec, num=dst_fps_num, den=dst_fps_den)

clip.set_output()

4 (edited by Elliot 19-01-2017 23:16:54)

Chainik, how can I force the current version of SVP  to implement my custom vapoursynth script as a filter in mpv?
It is not included anymore and the smoothness is suffering.

if you think that old MVTools-based basic script is better than SVP - then just use it, you don't need SVP at all

Lol, don't be powdy.
I love SVP, and I do need it.
My current i3 can't handle the load and gathering the necessary knowledge while writing my own code to add GPU acceleration would take months.

Trust me, my script definitely improves the smoothness of SVP when used together as a filter in mpv, try it.

And then explain to me why filters via "vf" option are no longer recognized and how I can circumvent it.

mmm...
For obvious reasons SVP uses it's own script using own plugins. You can't use MVTools script with SVP.
SVP script can do whatever MVTools script can, just read docs if the amount of script customization UI controls is not enough for your needs wink

8 (edited by Elliot 20-01-2017 12:25:48)

Oh you very much can, sir.

Create a txt and call it "script.vpy"
Copy the script into the txt
Add the following entry to the mpv.conf or via -- as an arg in the terminal.

vf=vapoursynth=/home/yourname/script.vpy

Also use vo=vdpau or opengl-hq  if you use SVP's GPU acceleration.

Use the previous version of SVP, the one before the latest updates and start an instance of mpv. vapoursynth, vapoursynth-extra-plugins etc. are a given.

As a test file enter the following on youtube
"1080 pan shot"

A james bond clip with a lot of camera pan shots will appear.
Either download it and try it locally or add the following to the mpv.conf and have SVP pick it up.

input-ipc-server=/tmp/mpvsocket

Again, you can use -- from terminal also.

Compare the smoothness and general interpolation results with and without the script.
Report back when you've been dazzled.

(facepalm)

How SVP works?

1. catches the video playback
2. generates its own vapoursynth script based on all the settings from UI
3. inserts this generated script into vf chain

vf chain can only contain ONE vapoursynth script at a time, so whatever you've put into mpv.conf was overwritten at runtime

Even without editing SVP's main script the additional script via vf is picked up.

Just do it and look at the mpv log.
Both SVP's script in .local and the filter script are added and run simultaneously. You can achieve better merging by editing SVP's main script, but even without that it works.

Just try it! (facepalm)

I won't try it because even if it works for some reason (though it shouldn't!) - I mean some mvtools-based script PLUS SVP's script running at the same time - this's just a nonsence.
You either do interpolation via your script or via SVP's script. You can't use both simultaneously. Period.

Listen, I have a true passion for motion interpolation and been testing these things long before mother russia produced SVP.
I am telling you that it most certainly works, tangibly improving smoothness during high motion shots, while reducing motion blur without any additional load.

You sound like a holocaust denier simply refusing to at least consider a different perspective.

TRY it, goddamnit

ok, lets do a thought experiment

consider 30 fps video file, you play it with that ugly-slow-blocking-mvtools script applied and get 60 fps
after that you apply a SVP's script to that 60 fps video and you want to achieve ... what?

30 fps -> MBlockFps -> 60 fps -> SVFlowFps -> ???

===
btw if you read the docs you'll know that SVFlowFps can give the very same results as MBlockFps

14 (edited by Elliot 20-01-2017 15:48:41)

Do you still not understand?

I suggest you read the mpv documentation, particularly the section about how filters are used.
https://mpv.io/manual/master/

But even better than that would be to stop your arrogance and simply see for yourself.

We all know where the SVP team got their "inspiration" from...
Github is watching.

> I suggest you read the mpv documentation

Please be so kind and elaborate this to stupid me.

> We all know where the SVP team got their "inspiration" from...
> Github is watching.

hmm
And this one too, please.

16 (edited by Elliot 20-01-2017 16:13:34)

Well, a quite esteemed group of people believes that some code was allegedly, illegally repurposed.
Avisynth stands strong, son.

I would very much like to introduce wmf into this discussion.

The only one who could possibly claim something is Fizick, and he remains silent for a ... half an year? ... since we gave him sources for an "audition".
So if you want to tell something new about the case - please. If not - well, I hope you know what to do and where to go.

I don't really care about that anyways, just some forum whispers. Make some money, your software has great potential.

Now let's get back to my original question.
Why does the latest update exclude --vf use and how can I avoid this?

> We all know where the SVP team got their "inspiration" from...
> Github is watching.
> Well, a quite esteemed group of people believes that some code was allegedly, illegally repurposed.
> Avisynth stands strong, son.
> I don't really care about that anyways, just some forum whispers.

And yet you decided to warm up this topic now.
It was a clever move. Son.

> Why does the latest update exclude --vf

Because other vapoursynth filters may (and does) interfere with SVP.

> how can I avoid this?

Don't use SVP.

This random blocking of vf has only now been integrated.
It seems completely unrelated to any reported issues, hence I don't see why that was done.

Stop being so powdy, damn.
Be honest, do you use SVP privately, or do you have your own, personal, customized monster script to do it?

21 (edited by s9209122222 14-02-2017 17:03:32)

The SVPtube doesn't work on Arch Linux with python 3.6 installed.

... because it's linked with libpython3.5m.so