1 (edited by hoover1979 05-02-2017 01:53:15)

Topic: SVP 4 pro frequent stutter on "Return of the Jedi"

Hi.  I recently forked out for the Episodes 1-6 Blu-Ray set for Star wars, and format shifted them to my media centre for use with SVP4.

SVP 4 does not like on of these titles, namely "Return of the Jedi". 

I get frequent stutter every 4-5seconds, on this video with SVP4 enabled, regardless of the settings in SVP.

If I quit SVP 4 completely and watch with MPC-HC these stutters are gone, so it's not the video file, MPC-HC or MADVR, and I've isolated it to SVP 4.

even after a full uninstall of SVP4 and all is't components, rebooting reinstalling, rebooting again and running, this issue still presists.

Even on the most basic settings at 2x Frame rate to the most taxing settings on 120fps I get the same, stutters, of the same length in the same parts of the video.  There is no SVP setting that avoids this stutter in this movie.

atm I have not had this issue on other movies which I ported from my Blu-ray/Blu-ray3D's  to my media centre with the same programs.

This is really odd and I don't know what to do.  The movie is unwatchable in SVP 4 due to the stutter, and I have spoiled myself with smooth movies for so long it seems jerky without frame interpolation (Like when I go to the cinema and think "Wow this is jerky as hell, wait I'm used to 120fps, doh!)

I applied the 4Gb aware patch to MPC-HC too.

I even imaged my Blu-ray to the HDD and mounted it and opened the blu-ray image with MPC-HC (as I don't think my physical drive would spin fast enough at 4x for SVP4) and the same stutters, at the same length in the exact same spots of the movie are STILL THERE and of course no stutter if I completely close SVP4. 

Could this be SVP 4 itself or AVISynth causing this issue on only this movie?

If you need any more info from me please ask

please assist.

Main Specs:
Windows 7 pro x64 (I use MPC-HC(x86) as MPC-HC(x64) always crashes)
ASUS Z987-k Mobo
i7-4790k
4gb GTX970 G1 Gaming
32Gb corsair vengeance pro 2400 DDR3 RAM (down clocked to 1866Mhz for stability)

2 (edited by hoover1979 05-02-2017 04:24:06)

Re: SVP 4 pro frequent stutter on "Return of the Jedi"

PotPlayer doesn't stutter on this video with SVP4 but I can not get 5.1 working on Potplayer.  No matter what I select (eg: 24bit 6ch 96,000Hz) I only get 16bit 48,000hz 2ch.  After wrestling with Potplayer for an hour and STILL only getting 2.0 stereo I guess it mixes down the 67 channels to 2 channels. I am swearing off of that player until they support multi channel audio.

What were the PotPlayer devs smoking to not properly implement 5.1 multi channel (pun intended from name of player)

I also can't use EVR (Custom presenter) at all on MPC-HC for any video.  I tried as part of troubleshooting but I get locked.  I can't use the seek bar or enter/exit fuillscreen mode and in task manager MPC-HC is logged as "Not Responding"  I have to right click on the non responsive MPC-HC process and select "End process tree"

None of my attempts have mitigated this issue SPV's internal MPV player does not, and has never worked for me, as all I get is a jerky slideshow with audio and video getting more out of sync each second.

It seems there is no possible way I can watch this movie.  It seems this issue is a combination of "MadVR and SVP"  and with MPC-HC crapping itself on EVR (CP) the only way I can play this without having the sound gimped to stereo is with VLC which gives me grey artifact screen glitches all the time as VLC simply can't handle a 30Gb Video File! AAAAAAAARGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Can you post a sample  clip?

4 (edited by hoover1979 05-02-2017 23:27:05)

brucethemoose wrote:

Not without committing copyright infringement.  It is only legal to post official trailers online, and not other snippets of any movie. 

Of course MPC-HC insta-crashes when using FRAPS, Bandicam, Litecam, OBS or ShadowPlay for me (Access Violation "0xc00000005"), which would make it impossible to get a snippet of the stutter issue anyway.

5 (edited by brucethemoose 06-02-2017 03:49:46)

hoover1979 wrote:
brucethemoose wrote:

Not without committing copyright infringement.  It is only legal to post official trailers online, and not other snippets of any movie. 

Of course MPC-HC insta-crashes when using FRAPS, Bandicam, Litecam, OBS or ShadowPlay for me (Access Violation "0xc00000005"), which would make it impossible to get a snippet of the stutter issue anyway.

Well does the trailer stutter like the movie?

Also, try a different Nvidia driver. Someone mentioned a recent revision giving them issues in SVP and with shadowplay.

EDIT: Also, I've uploaded sample clips here before. SVP requires you to break Blu-Ray DRM anyway... No one's gonna judge you here tongue

EDOT2: Also, just use avidemix to get a clip if u want. No re-encoding required, so it shouldn't crash.

6 (edited by hoover1979 06-02-2017 09:08:23)

I don't understand why this is the only movie that stutters.  It stutters in M2TS format (Mounted ISO), it Stutters in MKV format.  My Blu-ray drive would not spin fast enough to use SVP on the original disc.  I am not game to upload any section of the film to the net. 

A few years ago I put a snippet of a movie (Cannibal Holocaust) going for 25 seconds on Youtube (thinking 25 seconds of footage would not be illegal) and within 2 weeks I had a copyright strike (from Grindhouse) that took 6 months to go away. I am glad I only got a copyright strike and not a lawsuit!  I learned from that mistake.

There is a difference between breaking DRM of a Blu-Ray I purchased for playback on a media center on my PC, for personal use only, and broadcasting any footage online without permission from the copyright holders (Disney).

I am not taking that risk again.  I also don't want to risk being sued by Disney and/or the MPAA.

I also live in Australia, which is coming down hard on those that do intentionally infringe copyright (after being flagged as the number 1 country for movie, music and game piracy) and I don't want to be by-catch in that net. (like a Dolphin in a Shark net)

7 (edited by xenonite 07-02-2017 18:35:15)

Okay, so what I would recommend is doing the following:

1) COMPLETELY uninstall (manually delete all directories and files that remain) ALL video players, codecs and video-processing filters.

2) To help you with the sound issue (VLC truly is an absolute abomination; I simply cannot fathom why anyone in their right mind would give up quality and control for 'convenience'), download the 32-Bit software (and the applicable prerequisites, if you don't already have them) from here:
https://imouto.my/tutorials/watching-h2 … ture-cuda/
Direct link: https://imouto.my/download/lav-filters-megamix-32-bit/

as well as AC3Filter (Lite) from here: http://www.ac3filter.net/wiki/Download_AC3Filter
Direct link: https://googledrive.com/host/0B792BWceK … b_lite.exe

and finally SVP 3 and the latest SVP-Flow libraries from here: https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Plugins:_SVPflow
and here: http://www.svp-team.com/files/SVP_3.1.7_Core.exe
(also, if you don't have ffdshow-tryouts installed, you'll need to get that aswell: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow … e/download

3) Install the software, but DO NOT follow the configuration instructions that they recommend. Just use the default installation settings (except for selecting MPC-HC (lite) and the 'medium' MadVR preset (your GPU might be too slow for even this though, so maybe try 'low' first?)) and configure as below.

4) - Reclock: Use WASAPI Exclusive interfaces (if your sound card can handle it), PCM latency = 50%, Sampling Rate = 96kHz (again, if your sound-card can handle it), quality = Best Sinc Interpolation, format = 24 bit, tick all check-boxes except for "Use AC3 Encoding" and "Disable media speed correction with bitstream audio" (assuming you are not bitstreaming of-corse), under the "video settings" tab, set both maximum speed-up and slow-down percentages to 3%.
    - AC3Filter: Set it to not change the sample rate, use 24-bit encoding, and output to your speaker configuration (check the audio routing matrix!).
    - MPC-HC (lite): Disable ALL 'Internal Filters' and the 'Audio Switcher' and set the 'Audio Renderer' to use 'Reclock'.
Under the 'External Filters' tab, you should ONLY have the following (all set to 'prefer'): File Source (Async), LAV Splitter, LAV Audio Decoder, LAV Video Decoder, ffdshow raw video filter, AC3Filter, MadVR, Reclock.
Under the 'Output' tab, select MadVR to render 'DirectShow Video' and make sure that you selected Reclock as the 'Audio Renderer'.
    - MadVR: The most important thing here (to fist just get things working smoothly), is to go to 'rendering' -> 'general settings', and check ALL the check-boxes, EXCEPT for 'enable windowed overlay', and set CPU queue size to 32 and GPU queue size to 24.
Then go to 'exclusive mode', present at least 12 frames in advance (more may work better or worse depending on your system) and set everything to flush.
Next, go to 'smooth motion' and DISABLE smooth motion.
(Please Note: MadVR has a lot of very impotant settings that have a huge impact on the quality of video rendering, as well as on the GPU resources it demands. I can give some guidance to which settings would work the best if you need, but it is out of the scope of this post...
I would, however, STRONGLY suggest that you get a more powerful GPU or, at the very least, get an extra GPU to run SVP on exclusively (doesn't need to be very powerful, as SVP really doesn't use a lot of GPU resources (never goes above 5% for me, running 2 OC'd Titan X's)).

Finally, install SVP, overwrite the svp-flow libraries with the new ones you downloaded, and edit the override.js file as follows:

/***** SVSuper options *****/

levels.pel                = 3;
levels.gpu                = 0; //SUBJECTIVE: Compare performance and quality with gpu=1 for yourself

levels.scale.up            = 2;
levels.scale.down            = 4;
levels.full                = true;

/***** SVAnalyse options *****/

analyse.vectors            = 3;
analyse.block.w            = 16;
analyse.block.h            = 16;
analyse.block.overlap            = 3;

analyse.main.levels            = 0;
analyse.main.search.type        = 4;
analyse.main.search.distance        = -24;
analyse.main.search.sort        = true;
analyse.main.search.satd        = true; //VERY slow if 'true', but gives slightly higher quality
analyse.main.search.coarse.type    = 4;
analyse.main.search.coarse.distance    = -24;
analyse.main.search.coarse.satd    = true;
analyse.main.search.coarse.trymany    = true;
analyse.main.search.coarse.width    = 1920; //This is for 1080p content. Use 4096 for 4k, however it may crash, run out of memory, etc.
analyse.main.search.coarse.bad.sad    = 190;
analyse.main.search.coarse.bad.range    = -38;

analyse.main.penalty.lambda        = 11.2;
analyse.main.penalty.plevel        = 1.65;
analyse.main.penalty.lsad        = 4000;
analyse.main.penalty.pnew        = 40;
analyse.main.penalty.pglobal        = 50;
analyse.main.penalty.pzero        = 80;
analyse.main.penalty.pnbour        = 30;
analyse.main.penalty.prev        = 20;

analyse.refine[0].thsad        = 170;
analyse.refine[0].search.type        = 4;
analyse.refine[0].search.distance    = -38;
analyse.refine[0].search.satd        = true;
analyse.refine[0].penalty.lambda    = 9.8;
analyse.refine[0].penalty.lsad    = 3900;
analyse.refine[0].penalty.pnew    = 50;

/***** SVSmoothFps options *****/

smooth.rate.num            = 3; //Set this to auto, or to your <TargetFrameRate>/<SourceFrameRate>
smooth.rate.den            = 1;
smooth.algo                = 23;
smooth.block                = false;
smooth.cubic                = 1;
smooth.linear                = true; //Only works with GPU rendering, i.e. use gpu=1

smooth.mask.cover            = 40; //Therse values are your main trade-off between smoothness and artifacts
smooth.mask.area            = 15; //Making them larger decreases smoothness and obtrusive artifacts
smooth.mask.area_sharp        = 1.65; // See https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Plugins:_SVPflow for details

smooth.scene.mode            = 0;
smooth.scene.force13        = false;
smooth.scene.luma            = 1.66;
smooth.scene.blend            = false;
smooth.scene.limits.m1        = 1600;
smooth.scene.limits.m2        = 2800;
smooth.scene.limits.scene        = 3000;
smooth.scene.limits.zero        = 180;
smooth.scene.limits.blocks        = 33; //Adjust this value for scene-change detection. Higher values makes it less sensitive and might cause it to try
                                                         //interpolating scene-changes!

This is the lowest quality (fastest) settings that I find to still give an acceptable smoothness, while giving a tolerable amount of artifacts (on real-life content, not anime). If you still don't get smooth playback, press 'ctrl + j' whilst playing the video and look for any dropped frames there. Dropped frames indicate that your PC isn't powerfull enough for the current configuration and you will have to shave some of the load off.

> I don't understand why this is the only movie that stutters.

You can start with comparing MediaInfo between ep.5 (working (is it?)) and ep.6 (not working) for example.

>  Episodes 1-6 Blu-Ray set for Star wars

Where can we find technical details about this particular release?

Eipsode 5 works fine as I watched it without an issue.  Episode 6 is the problem It runs with potplayer and SVP 4 but I can't get 5.1 working on Potplayer and onec going to 5.1 I can't go back to Stereo.  VLC doesn't stutter but has it's own host of issues, the worst being that god awful grey artifact glitch on large files.  as the movie in question is 30Gb VLC just is awful.  MPC + SVP4 causes issues on this movie and adding madvr into the mix makes the stutters worse.  Thge first stutter doesn't appear until just after the hijacked imperial shuttle goes into hyperspace from the rebel fleet in Sullust to the mood of endor and Death Star 2.  Then every few seconds more stutters keep going, rendering the rest of the mo0vie unwatchable.

I have done full uninstalls of all components and registery valuses and manually reinstalled them and this issue persists.

This issue is not present on ANY other moves (Blu-Ray and DVD) and as part of my troubleshooting I also imaged my blu-ray as an ISO and mounted it and ren the index file in MPC-HC to play the movie in M2TS format in case format is the cause.  I only have a 4x speed blu-ray drive so i don't think that would be fast enough to run from the physical disc with SVP active.

Can you paste the Mediainfo text for episodes 5 and 6 here?

Also, did switching Nvidia drivers not work?

I got a gtx1080 and will try this video again tomorrow, to see if it is better. Will keep posted.

On a side note this new card is boss.  Battlefield 1, Resident Evil 7 and Doom 4 are butter smooth at constant 120fps. 

I have noticed also noticed less frame drops on SVP4 but can't use Nvidia DSR on my desktop even at 1440p DSR all videos are a monotone green, blur or purple screen with sound :'(  I guess I need a native 1440p - 4k monitor to get SVP4 above 1080p.

12 (edited by brucethemoose 09-02-2017 06:00:42)

Be sure to uninstall your old drivers first, then clean them out with DDU.

You shouldn't be using DSR on videos anyway. Or games, IMHO (I'd rather use the extra GPU power for ReShade), but definitely not on videos.

Oh, and the monitor resolution actually has no impact on SVP. It interpolates the video first, then your video player scales it to your screen.

hoover1979 wrote:

I have noticed also noticed less frame drops on SVP4 but can't use Nvidia DSR on my desktop even at 1440p DSR all videos are a monotone green, blur or purple screen with sound :'(  I guess I need a native 1440p - 4k monitor to get SVP4 above 1080p.

Never use DSR for video players or for watching videos or general browsing. Use native resolution. If you want to improve picture quality for video content, use Madvr with MPC.

I just watched Star Wars a few days ago, I know I am extremely late to the party. But I watched Episode 4, 5, and 6 with no issues.

The problem you are having is weird. Can you use Madvr with MPC (don't run SVP right now), and run Episode 5, press CTRL + J to get the stats in the top left corner of the video (take a screen shot), then run Episode 6, take a screenshot of the stats in that too. Post both pictures here. Use Imgur (website) if you want to upload the pictures to a site, then link us here.

I suspect that Episode 6 is running in a different format... Might be why you're having issues.

Which nVidia drivers are you using? The latest ones? Because a few people around here reported issues with SVP with the latest nVidia drivers.

14 (edited by hoover1979 18-02-2017 11:35:19)

I uninstalled the GTX970 drivers in safe mode via DDU, and installed the drivers for my GTX1080.  a few days ago I did that again for the latest drivers. (I always use DDU for updating drivers)

Tried the same movie today. (Return of the Jedi) and the stutters are still there in the exact same spots.  I even forced tripple buffered Vsync via D3DOverrider as it has imrorved performance of games.  Still the same stutter in the same spots for this movie and this movie alone.  Does this on .M2TS format and .MKV format. 

However if I play the blu-ray on PowerDVD Live I don't get the smooth framerate, but I don't get the stutter.  Potlayer doesn't stutter but doesn't give 5.1 surround sound either, just 2chStereo.  VLC doesn't give the stutter, but because it is a 30Gb file I get grey screen glitches galore.  This is why I hate VLC and always hated VLC, those damned #$&%ing grey screen glitches!

I give up on this one.  It can't be fixed.

Again, can you run Mediainfo on that episode and the previous, and paste the results?