1 (edited by TayyabKhalid 12-01-2017 11:23:52)

Topic: Need help to avoid dropped frames while using SVP 4 PRO!

Hi, for as long as I can remember I have been enjoying using SVP and then I got a new update from AMD Crimson and everything went wrong. Every video I start playing, be it anime, movies, tv shows alike I get dropped frames and don't know how to avoid it.

My setup.
MOBO: Asus Z170 Pro gaming
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 (non-k)
GPU: AMD Radeon Sapphire R9 390 8GB
RAM: HyperX Fury DRR4 16GB

Setup for videos:
SVP 4: http://i.imgur.com/lvLVIkn.png (Disabled grid step, but everything else is same)
Threads: Tried auto, 7, using 9 now (not good?)
MadVR: Custom settings
Reclock: Custom settings
LAV: Copyback is ON
Resolution I use: 480p, 720p, 1080p
Frame rates I use: 72 and 75
Source rate I mostly use or might need to: 23.976, 24, 25 and 30
Videoplayer: Potplayer
Monitor: Default 60Hz - overclocked to 71.928Hz

What I found out so far:
I get dropped frames while using MadVR 2-3 ever so seconds.
I get dropped frames, and alot of jitter (possibly other issues) even while using Custom preset

I hope anyone can help me with this, so I can return to enjoying SVP.

Thank you!

2 (edited by Anim8 12-01-2017 11:08:39)

Re: Need help to avoid dropped frames while using SVP 4 PRO!

TayyabKhalid wrote:

What is your monitors refresh rate?
If its 60hz change to x2 frame rate and if you have a high hz monitor check to make sure its not running at 60hz.

3 (edited by TayyabKhalid 12-01-2017 11:27:02)

Anim8 wrote:
TayyabKhalid wrote:

If its 60hz change to x2 frame rate and if you have a high hz monitor check to make sure its not running at 60hz.

My monitor is 60Hz, I overclocked it too 71.928Hz though, but that's not what I am asking about, did you even read my post? The issue I am experiencing is: dropped frames while using MadVR.

1. What settings of ReClock do you using?
2. Try to playback without ReClock. Are the dropped frames still here?

5 (edited by TayyabKhalid 12-01-2017 11:52:09)

MAG79 wrote:

1. What settings of ReClock do you using?
2. Try to playback without ReClock. Are the dropped frames still here?

1. I am not home at the moment, but basically my ReClock settings are default, with the exception of "Audio tab"
2. Yes, I did still got dropped frames, unfortunately. (Tested with and without, forgot mentioning).

Settings: http://imgur.com/a/rOqqa

Just a thought but maybe I should change to 64-bit?

1. When ReClock is loaded while video playback click at his red/yellow/green icon in the system tray and select option Media adaptation - Speed - Refresh rate
Do you still see dropped frames?
2. I see.

About x64. You can try. But PotPlayer x86 must work correctly without dropped frames. It is not platform (x86/x64) issue.
Check if your CPU or GPU load higher than 60%?

TayyabKhalid wrote:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 (non-k)
Threads: Tried auto, 7, using 9 now (not good?)

It correct value.
Your CPU has 4 cores. Auto value for this is 7. So, 7 is minimum. For some complex settings may required 9 threads. You can stay with 9 theads for all settings and any kind of video.

8 (edited by TayyabKhalid 12-01-2017 14:21:34)

MAG79 wrote:

1. When ReClock is loaded while video playback click at his red/yellow/green icon in the system tray and select option Media adaptation - Speed - Refresh rate
Do you still see dropped frames?
2. I see.

About x64. You can try. But PotPlayer x86 must work correctly without dropped frames. It is not platform (x86/x64) issue.
Check if your CPU or GPU load higher than 60%?

i tried and with no good result, the dropping of the framerates is still happening sad

EDIT: I used your ReClock advice, and tried to disable SVP, I got 5 frame drops, and after that no drop for 10 minutes. I don't know what it could be, what in SVP could cause it.

When you disable SVP the player need to show 24 frames per second on 72 Hz monitor. It is simple to any renderer with no dropped frames.
Another way is when SVP is enabled and produces 72 frames per second. Player need to show 72 frames on 72 Hz monitor. If computer has high CPU or GPU load then you can get lag with duration of 1/72 second or more. It can lead to dropped frames.
So. What CPU and GPU load while playback with SVP?

P.S. Some dropped frames at the start is normal. If number of dropped frames is rised then it is the real dropped frames.

MAG79 wrote:

When you disable SVP the player need to show 24 frames per second on 72 Hz monitor. It is simple to any renderer with no dropped frames.
Another way is when SVP is enabled and produces 72 frames per second. Player need to show 72 frames on 72 Hz monitor. If computer has high CPU or GPU load then you can get lag with duration of 1/72 second or more. It can lead to dropped frames.
So. What CPU and GPU load while playback with SVP?

P.S. Some dropped frames at the start is normal. If number of dropped frames is rised then it is the real dropped frames.

i see, thanks for telling me that.

When the video starts, my framerates drop to 5. After few more seconds it goes slowly up with no signs of stopping. My CPU load is between 65-75%

Good. Then check GPU load in addition.
Use GPU-Z.

Real dropped frames must be visually noticiable on not flawless movements of tearing line test (Ctrl-Win-T) While playback with SVP

12 (edited by TayyabKhalid 12-01-2017 16:48:29)

MAG79 wrote:

Good. Then check GPU load in addition.
Use GPU-Z.

Real dropped frames must be visually noticiable on not flawless movements of tearing line test (Ctrl-Win-T) While playback with SVP

Okay, so I used GPU-Z and according to that, I have GPU load of 40-80% (Jumps mostly to 60, and sometimes 80)

EDIT: I tired something weird, in MadVR i enabled "Smooth motion", in SVP I have "repeat on frame". After testing for a bit, I only 1 framerate that got dropped, and not one more after that, but from what I have heard is that this combination is dangerous, so should I stop using it or could this lead to another clue, possible a fix?

TayyabKhalid wrote:

EDIT: I tired something weird, in MadVR i enabled "Smooth motion", in SVP I have "repeat on frame". After testing for a bit, I only 1 framerate that got dropped, and not one more after that, but from what I have heard is that this combination is dangerous, so should I stop using it or could this lead to another clue, possible a fix?

This means you probably don't have an issue, you were simply rendering more frames than your monitor needed when using MPC. Are you sure MPC is not running in exclusive mode at 60FPS? That would explain why when you turned on "Smooth Motion" you no longer got dropped frames. Are you sure you checked that your monitor is running at 72Hz after the driver update? Maybe it reverted back to 60Hz.

For example if you're running 3x movie framerate on a 24FPS video, which means it's running at 72FPS, and MPC for some reason is running at 60FPS, then it drops 12 frames every second.

When you turn on Smooth Motion in Madvr, and set it to always, it "fixes" this issue because there's no longer dropped frames, it does its own smoothing system where it doesn't drop the extra 12 frames being rendered every second, instead Madvr uses them.

I use this method. I always have Smooth Motion enabled. No it's not dangerous. Who told you it's dangerous? In fact I think it's better to have it on and always run movies at natural frame rate jumps. Such as 2x or 3x. Running at 3x on a 60Hz monitor/tv would mean you're always dropping frames, but with Smooth Motion enabled, it always feels smoother (could be placebo). Like Madvr is taking those extra frames and it's using them in its own way.

I use x3 movie and I am running a 4K TV @ 60Hz, I have Smooth Motion always enabled on Madvr. I get 0 dropped frames and 0 delayed. Once you start getting dropped or delayed frames with Smooth Motion enabled, it means you're going over the limit either in Madvr settings or in your SVP settings.

14 (edited by TayyabKhalid 13-01-2017 07:30:26)

Blackfyre wrote:
TayyabKhalid wrote:

This means you probably don't have an issue, you were simply rendering more frames than your monitor needed when using MPC. Are you sure MPC is not running in exclusive mode at 60FPS? That would explain why when you turned on "Smooth Motion" you no longer got dropped frames. Are you sure you checked that your monitor is running at 72Hz after the driver update? Maybe it reverted back to 60Hz.

For example if you're running 3x movie framerate on a 24FPS video, which means it's running at 72FPS, and MPC for some reason is running at 60FPS, then it drops 12 frames every second.

When you turn on Smooth Motion in Madvr, and set it to always, it "fixes" this issue because there's no longer dropped frames, it does its own smoothing system where it doesn't drop the extra 12 frames being rendered every second, instead Madvr uses them.

I use this method. I always have Smooth Motion enabled. No it's not dangerous. Who told you it's dangerous? In fact I think it's better to have it on and always run movies at natural frame rate jumps. Such as 2x or 3x. Running at 3x on a 60Hz monitor/tv would mean you're always dropping frames, but with Smooth Motion enabled, it always feels smoother (could be placebo). Like Madvr is taking those extra frames and it's using them in its own way.

I use x3 movie and I am running a 4K TV @ 60Hz, I have Smooth Motion always enabled on Madvr. I get 0 dropped frames and 0 delayed. Once you start getting dropped or delayed frames with Smooth Motion enabled, it means you're going over the limit either in Madvr settings or in your SVP settings.

I see, thank you for the detailed explanation. Also, I do think I am running 72HZ, dosen't this proves it, or?: http://imgur.com/a/lOawC

EDIT: Okay, so I noticed something weird. The red cirled line is my framerate which should be on 71.928, but its jumping to 70, 69, 75 everywhere, and won't stand on 72Hz alone, which reason could this be?

As for the blue circled line, it goes slowly up, like you can see on the picture as of this time of the video, its already on 100frames, even if I pause the video it still goes up, its already on 230. What the heck? sad
http://imgur.com/a/aohaG

15 (edited by Anim8 13-01-2017 10:48:02)

TayyabKhalid wrote:
Anim8 wrote:
TayyabKhalid wrote:

My monitor is 60Hz, I overclocked it too 71.928Hz though, but that's not what I am asking about, did you even read my post? The issue I am experiencing is: dropped frames while using MadVR.

I did read your post.
I asked because if your refresh rate is lower than the video FPS the video player will drop the extra frames or it can cause stuttering etc.
Was just trying to rule that out as a issue of your dropped frames.

I still have that issue with my framerate going nuts, it won't stay on 72Hz even after I overclocked it, this didn't happen before the new update from crimson, so could that be the problem or?