1 (edited by Devourer 13-11-2016 18:03:41)

Topic: (MadVr) Best setting for minimal artifacts

I have a 5820k @ 4.4 Ghz and 980gtx @ 1540Mhz with connected a monitor 3440x1440p. I tried some settings and I found that it improved the quality of still images but remain minimal artifacts on smoothing frames. Why?
i would remove all artifacts at 60 fps. Possibly?
https://imgur.com/a/QieiM

2 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 13-11-2016 20:40:50)

Re: (MadVr) Best setting for minimal artifacts

MadVR has nothing to do with interpolation artifacts.

7px is a recipe for tons of artifacts at 1080p; try setting it to 12px instead (from there you can probably change "two pixels" to "one pixel").

Lastly, if your video is something like 24fps, then using 60Hz is going to just give you more artifacts - more info.

DO NOT "maximize" all SVP settings just because you have 5820k wink

4 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 13-11-2016 20:43:59)

Chainik wrote:

Though for the most part, maxing-out everything except "artifact masking" and "motion vectors grid" should work just fine if you have the performance (and at low resolutions like 480p, even maxing out "motion vectors grid" can work).

5 (edited by Devourer 14-11-2016 00:19:24)

Chainik wrote:

OK thanks for the advice, I found this video and I'm trying to change all settings. Although I wonder how much difficult are the scripts that have the LG TVs 4k? In my 55la970V(I believe it has a low "cpu" and memory, being a product of 2013) with de-blur 1 and de-judder 10, the pictures are perfect. Help me figure out how to delete artifacts and preserving the feeling of fluidity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZYS5XP … nFriedrich

@Nintendo Maniac 64
seems to lessen the feeling of fluidity

6 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 14-11-2016 04:52:37)

If your TV has its own interpolation engine, then you'd be better off just having your GPU output at the refresh rate that is identical to the source video framerate (like 24Hz for 24fps, 30Hz for 30fps, etc) and then just have the TV do all of the interpolation.  This should also reduce artifacts since the TV will then not be trying to interpolate already-interpolated frames.

Devourer wrote:

seems to lessen the feeling of fluidity

That's why I also mentioned to change "two pixels" to "one pixel", or heck if you have the performance use "half pixel".

7 (edited by Devourer 15-11-2016 18:38:03)

OK, after my little mistake I've finally found the best settings for highest quality. the fault was certainly in the rendering options.
I'm loving svp+madvr+potplayer
http://i.imgur.com/SUk0cQC.png

8 (edited by Blackfyre 16-11-2016 15:53:26)

Keep SVP Shader on Standard, since Complicated introduces a lot of artifacts. But change Frame Interpolation Mode to Uniform (Max Fluidity) instead of Adaptive. Definitely increases smoothness significantly without introducing much, if any artifacts at all; especially since you have artifact masking set to strong like myself.

EDIT: Also I use MPC instead of PotPlayer. And in Madvr settings go to Smooth Motion and enable it and set it to ALWAYS. Then Go back to SVP and instead of setting it to "Fixed Framerate 60 FPS", change that to "Movie Frame Rate x 4", which would make 24FPS movies run at 96FPS.

You have the CPU power to do it, and so do I using my 4790K @ 4.7Ghz. I find it running much smoother than setting it to a fixed framerate of 60. Even though at the end of the day, media player classic is throwing out all the extra frames and using only 60 of them, I find that the 60 used by MPC to have less artifacts then setting SVP to a fixed 60 frame rates.

9 (edited by Devourer 16-11-2016 18:14:44)

Blackfyre wrote:

Keep SVP Shader on Standard, since Complicated introduces a lot of artifacts. But change Frame Interpolation Mode to Uniform (Max Fluidity) instead of Adaptive. Definitely increases smoothness significantly without introducing much, if any artifacts at all; especially since you have artifact masking set to strong like myself.

EDIT: Also I use MPC instead of PotPlayer. And in Madvr settings go to Smooth Motion and enable it and set it to ALWAYS. Then Go back to SVP and instead of setting it to "Fixed Framerate 60 FPS", change that to "Movie Frame Rate x 4", which would make 24FPS movies run at 96FPS.

You have the CPU power to do it, and so do I using my 4790K @ 4.7Ghz. I find it running much smoother than setting it to a fixed framerate of 60. Even though at the end of the day, media player classic is throwing out all the extra frames and using only 60 of them, I find that the 60 used by MPC to have less artifacts then setting SVP to a fixed 60 frame rates.

OK you're right, I did some testing with linked  test video and with some movies and it's improved by changing the Frame Interpolation Mode to Uniform (Max Fluidity) but I have problems of dropped frames changing from 60 fps to "Movie Frame Rate x 4".
The processor reaches a maximum of 30%, the gpu is always at 95%. I think the cpu is bypassed by madvr. I don't know why.

Devourer wrote:
Blackfyre wrote:

OK you're right, I did some testing with linked  test video and with some movies and it's improved by changing the Frame Interpolation Mode to Uniform (Max Fluidity) but I have problems of dropped frames changing from 60 fps to "Movie Frame Rate x 4".
The processor reaches a maximum of 30%, the gpu is always at 95%. I think the cpu is bypassed by madvr. I don't know why.

MadVR does basically everything on the GPU. 95% load means you need to turn down the MadVR settings a bit.

11 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 17-11-2016 02:41:01)

Blackfyre wrote:

instead of setting it to "Fixed Framerate 60 FPS", change that to "Movie Frame Rate x 4", which would make 24FPS movies run at 96FPS.

Devourer wrote:

I have problems of dropped frames changing from 60 fps to "Movie Frame Rate x 4".

You MUST also run your monitor at 96Hz+ for this to actually be beneficial.  Considering that OP is running 60fps, it is extremely likely that they also use a 60Hz display.

If we're going to get into monitor overclocking, then it's worth mentioning that achieving an overclock of 72Hz (movie x3) is much more common than an overclock of 96Hz.

I discreetly linked to it once, but it seems to have been largely ignored so I must be blatant this time - PLEASE review the following thread of mine that goes over the general concept of what frame rates and refresh rates are ideal for optimal smoothness and minimized artifacts in SVP:

http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=61595

12 (edited by dlr5668 17-11-2016 04:24:07)

I agree. using 72/96/120/144 Hz monitor is the BEST artifact reducing setting you can possible have. One of my monitors wont overclock to 72 Hz so I use 71 Hz + reclock. Harder to set up but almost same effect.

13 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 17-11-2016 07:41:44)

dlr5668 wrote:

almost same effect.

Almost is an understatement; that's only a difference of 1.4%.

For reference I do something similar, but I go the opposite direction - my TV doesn't like any refresh rate other than 23.976Hz, 24Hz, 29.97Hz, 30Hz, 50Hz, and 59.94Hz, and 60Hz, so I have to speed up 24fps videos to 25fps via reclock and then interpolate to 50Hz.

I've been doing this for the last month and I'm still kind of amazed at how flawless it's been working out - I've watched all of Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works, all of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and the second season of Dark Matter without any issues whatsoever.

14 (edited by Devourer 17-11-2016 14:02:54)

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:
Blackfyre wrote:

instead of setting it to "Fixed Framerate 60 FPS", change that to "Movie Frame Rate x 4", which would make 24FPS movies run at 96FPS.

Devourer wrote:

I have problems of dropped frames changing from 60 fps to "Movie Frame Rate x 4".

You MUST also run your monitor at 96Hz+ for this to actually be beneficial.  Considering that OP is running 60fps, it is extremely likely that they also use a 60Hz display.

If we're going to get into monitor overclocking, then it's worth mentioning that achieving an overclock of 72Hz (movie x3) is much more common than an overclock of 96Hz.

I discreetly linked to it once, but it seems to have been largely ignored so I must be blatant this time - PLEASE review the following thread of mine that goes over the general concept of what frame rates and refresh rates are ideal for optimal smoothness and minimized artifacts in SVP:

http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=61595

my monitor is working on 95hz at 3440x1440p resolution and has the g-sync. I'm trying your advice, but I have trouble missing frames beyond 60 fps. I wasn't ignoring your posts. Any advice that you give me I appreciate it very much. I'm testing the Movie mode x 3. Have you tried to download and test the video linked?

15 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 17-11-2016 22:12:03)

Devourer wrote:

my monitor is working on 95hz at 3440x1440p resolution and has the g-sync. I'm trying your advice, but I have trouble missing frames beyond 60 fps.

Are you absolutely sure that g-sync is working while playing a video?  I don't know if it's still the case, but at least with MPC-HC without madVR you had to enable D3D Fullscreen for it to work, so there's no guarantees that it's "kicking in" for your madvr+potplayer setup.

Also, is that 95hz a typo?  In other words, did you mean to say 96Hz?  Or perhaps it's actually 95.904Hz?

Devourer wrote:

I wasn't ignoring your posts.

I was concerned that you didn't see it, not that you were ignoring it.

Devourer wrote:

Have you tried to download and test the video linked?

That video is 29.97 fps, so the expected frame rate and refresh rate should be 89.91 rather than 96.

16 (edited by Devourer 18-11-2016 08:38:08)

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:
Devourer wrote:

my monitor is working on 95hz at 3440x1440p resolution and has the g-sync. I'm trying your advice, but I have trouble missing frames beyond 60 fps.

Are you absolutely sure that g-sync is working while playing a video?  I don't know if it's still the case, but at least with MPC-HC without madVR you had to enable D3D Fullscreen for it to work, so there's no guarantees that it's "kicking in" for your madvr+potplayer setup.

Also, is that 95hz a typo?  In other words, did you mean to say 96Hz?  Or perhaps it's actually 95.904Hz?

Devourer wrote:

I wasn't ignoring your posts.

I was concerned that you didn't see it, not that you were ignoring it.

Devourer wrote:

Have you tried to download and test the video linked?

That video is 29.97 fps, so the expected frame rate and refresh rate should be 89.91 rather than 96.

my monitor is this http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asu … pg348q.htm however I made a screenshot with svp Moviex2, do you know if madvr is working properly? http://imgur.com/a/bN6RN

17 (edited by Blackfyre 18-11-2016 14:48:03)

What Madvr setting are you using? I have a GTX 1070 so I might have a bit more headroom, but it wouldn't be by much. You need to tone down your Madvr setting the higher you go in terms of FPS. Basically turn off ALL image doubling in Madvr settings, and use Jinc for Chroma Upscaling and Image upscaling. For Chroma Upscaling you can also activate SuperRes Filter and I use a strength of 3 for that. Also go to the tab which says "trade quality for performance" and TICK OFF everything. Nothing should be ticked in that tab. Also make sure smooth motion in Madvr is enabled and set to ALWAYS.

EDIT: Otherwise just use 3X instead of 4X for frame rate. If GPU usage is too high. I always try to keep mine below 80% usage so that the GPU remains quiet. (edited usage percentage).

18 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 18-11-2016 22:28:51)

Ahh, your monitor maxes out at 100Hz, so 4x on a 30fps video is going to give a result greater than your monitor can handle (120fps) - this will result in dropped frames which will thereby lead to judder and stuttering.

So as Blackfyre said, just use 3x and things should be good (assuming that g-sync is working correctly - if it isn't, then the result should be jerky).