Topic: How is SVP when interpolating up to 144fps? Any experiences?

I'm thinking of getting a 144hz monitor, and I was wondering if anyone has experience interpolating 24/30fps content all the way up to 120/144fps. Does it look better than 60fps or does it look weird because it has to fill in so many more frames? I've actually never seen any content above 60fps and have never gamed at 144hz either, so I'm not really sure if I will notice a difference, but to the people that have 144hz monitors and have experimented with this, what do you think of it? Thanks for your input!

Re: How is SVP when interpolating up to 144fps? Any experiences?

I do it at 96hz, and even that looks much better than 48hz or 60hz to me.

I have 144 Hz monitor. I notice the difference with 60 Hz monitors.
Dynamic resolution is better if you use 120/144 Hz mode and stroboscope backlight. NVIDIA called it Lightboost.

Hmm very interesting. I don't know much about dynamic resolution or lightboost. Do those work with SVP to make 144fps video look better? Also for now I only have the free version of SVP and there is a lot (unacceptable amount) of artifacting and weird glitches. Does the paid version along with the right settings at 144fps become a lot more immersive? Or is it a difference you could live without? Like "I notice the difference, but it's not much" or is the difference as significant as 24-60? Thanks again for your answers.

5 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 14-10-2016 01:17:45)

Regarding the artifacting and settings, you can kind of preview SVP4 Pro by try SVP 3.1.7 since it has largely the same interpolation settings as SVP4 Pro.

I personally find that anything above 3x has minimal difference, though that's with black-frame insertion.  It must be noted that anything above 4x is quite a bit more demanding on the GPU however.

One main thing is that doing exact multiples (like 30fps @ 90Hz and/or 24fps @ 96Hz) is more important than an absolute higher refresh rate:
http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=61595

Keep in mind that SVP4 does not "kick in" for any video with a frame rate greater than 47fps by default (this can be manually changed):
http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=56025

About backlight strobbing and/or black-frame insertion, see:
http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/scanningbacklight/

Wow @NintendoManiac64 3.1.7 is incredibly smoother! I'm so surprised. How strange that an older version works so much better. What does SVP4 add over this? I'm reading all this stuff on blacklight strobing and BFI but I'm getting so confused, can you dumb it down for a less intelligent person like me? hmm Sorry for asking so many questions, but are exact exact integers important? like interpolating 24fps vs 23.97fps up to 144fps? Your post was really helpful, thanks a lot man!!

xxbluejay21 wrote:

How strange that an older version works so much better.

The issue is probably related to the fact that SVP 4 Free only uses "automatic" settings which can sometimes give sub-par results:
http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2699

xxbluejay21 wrote:

What does SVP4 add over this?

SVP 4 Pro has the manual profile settings that SVP 3.1.7 has but with the extra stuff that SVP 4 Free has (new GUI, support for more media players) as well more control over the video profile selection.

xxbluejay21 wrote:

I'm reading all this stuff on blacklight strobing and BFI but I'm getting so confused, can you dumb it down for a less intelligent person like me? hmm

Here's the simple version - the higher your refresh rate, the less important backlight strobing is.  Not only that, but if your monitor doesn't have backlight strobing built-in (sometimes advertized as "240Hz") or if your monitor is not 3D capable, then you don't even need to worry about it at all.

Now technically you could still do manual black-frame insertion, but not only have I never done this myself, but on your display that would result in an effective 72Hz which could very well be too flickery for it to be worth it.

xxbluejay21 wrote:

are exact exact integers important? like interpolating 24fps vs 23.97fps up to 144fps?

Yes and no.

Yes in that you want to make sure that something like 30fps is not interpolated to 144fps as that's 4.8x - you would get a smoother result with 30fps --to-> 120fps (4x).

No in that 23.976 with 144Hz will still give you 6x as it's within the margin of error therefore resulting in 143.856fps which means it will repeat 1 frame about every 6 seconds.  This is no where near as noticeable as the difference between 30fps --to-> 144fps and 30fps --to-> 120fps.  However, you're still welcome to make a custom resolution of 143.856Hz in order to minimize any dropped frames.

Wow thanks so much for your answers! They are incredibly helpful. One last question, if I cap the fps at 120 for 30fps, will I need to change my monitor refresh rate to 120 as well or can I keep it at 144? Also is 24-60, which is 2.5x, also bad? For a 60hz monitor should I cap the refresh rate to 48?

9 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 22-10-2016 07:34:47)

You know, that last post of mine just made me wonder if black-frame insertion couldn't be something that SVP could implement...  144Hz monitors are more common than ever, and I would think that implementing black-frame insertion would be quite easy especially if it's combined with the "frame blending" that's used by "artifact masking" which could be used to adjust the flicker amount.

xxbluejay21 wrote:

Wow thanks so much for your answers! They are incredibly helpful. One last question, if I cap the fps at 120 for 30fps, will I need to change my monitor refresh rate to 120 as well or can I keep it at 144? Also is 24-60, which is 2.5x, also bad? For a 60hz monitor should I cap the refresh rate to 48?

I mention most of those situations in my "concepts" thread; I did just tweak it a bit to try and make things a bit clearer:
http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=61595

To spell it out, you can leave your monitor at 144Hz while still interpolating to 120fps, but that's actually worse than just directly interpolating to 144fps.  This is why I mention MPC-HC's automatic resolution changer which can be used to run at 120Hz for 30fps videos while still using 144Hz for 24fps.

2.5x is not as bad, but still not as good.

60Hz monitors can commonly run at 72Hz actually, but if that's not possible even with a custom resolution then 2x @ 48Hz is smoother and has less artifacts (though interestingly enough 2.5x @ 60Hz will feel faster).