476 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 16-02-2016 08:44:06)

Re: MakeN PotPlayer Guide - Not Dead Yet 2021 W.I.P.

The bug was fixed by default since Windows 8, so it does not exist in newer versions of Windows.

For users with Win7 or Vista and have the hotfix installed, the results should be exactly the same as Win8 and newer.

On Win7 and Vista without the hotfix installed, using 96KHz is usually the safest bet (depending on the audio drivers, it sometimes does not even let you successfully install the hotfix).

Oh, and on the subject of resampling, do note that Creative and Asus sound cards will resample even when using WASAPI exclusive (it is noted however that Asus soundcards do not resample ASIO, no idea about Creative), so it's important that both the Windows "Sound" control panel and your soundcard drivers are set to the same sampling rate.

More info:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78291

Nintendo Maniac 64

Ok thanks ill add your link as point of interest, it could help anyone with that exclusive problem in particular.

Guide Updated 3 - Extras

Hey some of the SVP pictures are missing in post 3, other than that this guide is excellent!

480 (edited by Zachn 26-02-2016 21:28:14)

Hi Maken,

Thanks for updating the guide with the photos smile

I've set up everything as you instructed, with madVR and your upscaling settings I'm getting a stable 60% GPU usage which is good, no overheating and the GPU is stable at around 45-50C (GTX680)

However, I have several issues:

1. CPU usage is very high, with every 1080p file I play I'm getting 80% usage. Are there any SVP settings or madVR settings I can change to reduce the usage a bit? My CPU is an i5 2500K, and its overclocked to 4.5GHz. With the prvious SVP version I was getting about 65-70% and I could control the settings in the manager to do that. In the new free version I can't change any video profile settings, can you please help with this?

2. With the LAV Audio Decoder, I am unable to pass through DTS-HD, only regular DTS although I checked all the HDMI/SPDIF formats. When using the PotPlayer built in decoder I can pass through DTS-HD fine. Any clue? Audio decoding is important to me, so if there's no solution to this I'll revert to using the built in Audio decoder.

Nubzor wrote:

Hey some of the SVP pictures are missing in post 3, other than that this guide is excellent!

Hi, yeah ill update it later once i get svp 4 pro or free version(s). Im still using 3.1.7. Thanks!.

Zachn wrote:

Hi Maken,

Thanks for updating the guide with the photos smile

I've set up everything as you instructed, with madVR and your upscaling settings I'm getting a stable 60% GPU usage which is good, no overheating and the GPU is stable at around 45-50C (GTX680)

However, I have several issues:

1. CPU usage is very high, with every 1080p file I play I'm getting 80% usage. Are there any SVP settings or madVR settings I can change to reduce the usage a bit? My CPU is an i5 2500K, and its overclocked to 4.5GHz. With the prvious SVP version I was getting about 65-70% and I could control the settings in the manager to do that. In the new free version I can't change any video profile settings, can you please help with this?

2. With the LAV Audio Decoder, I am unable to pass through DTS-HD, only regular DTS although I checked all the HDMI/SPDIF formats. When using the PotPlayer built in decoder I can pass through DTS-HD fine. Any clue? Audio decoding is important to me, so if there's no solution to this I'll revert to using the built in Audio decoder.

Hi, 1080p is more demanding, change to EVR CP video renderer for 1080p. You need to get SVP 4 Pro ( buy pro version ) to have full access of such settings and more like it was with 3.1.7. If you cant or dont want, then you could go back to previous or keep using svp 4 free and lower the Quality slider. Lower the quality slider will increase performance but sacrifice smooth quality.

I didnt included extra settings for users who use pass through output for their receivers because i dont have one for now. In this case you must google more about it and just use potplayers built-in audio decoder just for passthrough your dts/ac3,etc.

If you get svp 4 pro or go back to 3.1.7 , you need to make custom profiles to find best settings that fill your needs and in this case reduce some cpu / gpu usages and have some balanced smooth quality. Stay bellow 75% gpu usage is the recommended and ok , same goes to cpu but if you re under 80% cpu usage, ok then but try to make sure nothing in background might cause your cpu spike and compromise your playback like peoples talking to you in skype, steam, facebook, etc. close everything and just keep the player and svp running while you are watching your stuffs. otherwise follow previous recommendations. Good luck and thanks.

482 (edited by Zachn 27-02-2016 09:58:42)

Thanks for the reply, I noticed that the 80% usage is only in movies with a full 1920x1080 resolution. In most 1920x800 movies (which is the majority) the usage sits at about 60%.

I bought the Pro version now, if you can please tell me which settings to look at it would be helpful to check this out.

I changed the Audio Decoder to the built in one for passing through DTS-HD.

Also, I have one more question, in your guide you assigned LAV Video Decoder to XVID and DIVX but you kept the built in decoder for H264 which is the 1080p decoder used in every BluRay movie. Why is that? Just wondering if we can squeeze some more quality? I don't play XVID or DIVX files at all so that was a little strange for me.

Thanks smile

Zachn wrote:

Thanks for the reply, I noticed that the 80% usage is only in movies with a full 1920x1080 resolution. In most 1920x800 movies (which is the majority) the usage sits at about 60%.

I bought the Pro version now, if you can please tell me which settings to look at it would be helpful to check this out.

I changed the Audio Decoder to the built in one for passing through DTS-HD.

Also, I have one more question, in your guide you assigned LAV Video Decoder to XVID and DIVX but you kept the built in decoder for H264 which is the 1080p decoder used in every BluRay movie. Why is that? Just wondering if we can squeeze some more quality? I don't play XVID or DIVX files at all so that was a little strange for me.

Thanks smile

Alright, if you look more in deep you will notice that making manual settings with svp 4 pro and 3.1.7 are close, what changed the most was interface and few more settings. I mean create custom profile, for the moment cant provide you more in deep guide, need to wait me some more. You could provide me screenshot of a X custom profile with all settings then i will tell you which one to change / test.

About LAV Video Decoder vs PotPlayers, its just a preferable like, thats why im adding it as optional and ppls can use it if they want for all formats. I tested both long ago and quality was very similar not much difference. About performance settings both with the same hardware video decoder, were pretty close very minimal, for example use Nvidia Cuda or DXVA2 copy back. PotPlayers built-in decoders and more at this point are good.

About to get the best image quality possible.. it depends of:

1- Quality of the encoded material and it resolution.
2- Performance vary depending of the source material and it fps, video bitrate, format, resolution. 1080p @ 30 fps vs 1080p @ 23.976 fps perform differently, more fps makes the smooth quality better, less artifacts but increase cpu usage while svp active.
3- Quality of your monitor.
4- Player default video settings vs user custom settings including " Shaders " to enhanced the video quality or if you like more to " correct and fix " the supposedly video problems you see on them. Like if the video for you is too dark or too blurry then you use shaders and other image enhance settings to " fit it " to your likes.

While playing your 1080p press Tab and see the original FPS of the video, more fps it was encoded the more cpu and gpu it will use while svp is active, also the settings in use in that svp custom profile affect alot the final performance. Use Shaders to enhanced image quality also have cost in performance.

484 (edited by fuck_yeah 28-03-2016 09:12:12)

guide is wrong

3 - madVR http://www.videohelp.com/tools/madVR .Always check and update with the last version.
4 - LAV Filters http://www.videohelp.com/tools/LAV-Filters .Always check and update with the last version.
5 - ReClock http://www.videohelp.com/tools/ReClock- … how-Filter

this should have been added to "extras" and not like necessary player configurations (or "The necessary Apps for complete this guide...")

people who don't know much about potplayer&svp or just not very experienced pc-users may think that 3,4,5 are necessary to get svp working with potplayer, but the player don't need it at all
and they would always need to install new versions of 3,4,5 (waste of time)

485 (edited by egandt 13-06-2016 00:26:02)

Followed the instructions in tehfirst post.  I if enable SVP then I get 4 or 5 seconds of playback followed by the nothing, only audio.  I'm eliminated MVR for now as that added an extra layer, but even with the default EVR rendering I get a few second then the player hangs.  I'm not  using the full GPU only about 41% when it does work for a few seconds, then nothing.

ERIC

486 (edited by orky87 24-08-2016 14:25:22)

egandt wrote:

Followed the instructions in tehfirst post.  I if enable SVP then I get 4 or 5 seconds of playback followed by the nothing, only audio.  I'm eliminated MVR for now as that added an extra layer, but even with the default EVR rendering I get a few second then the player hangs.  I'm not  using the full GPU only about 41% when it does work for a few seconds, then nothing.
ERIC

OS Win Version, x86/x64?
TV or Monitor, HDMI or Other cable?
CPU Model, GPU Model and Driver Ver?
PotPlayer & SVP Ver?

Too many variables for anyone to guess what could be causing this so do provide some extra info.
It might a good idea to uninstall everything using Revo/IOBit, clean out you registry with CCleaner and start all over.
SVP v4+ package contains everything you need so no need to DL files separately just tick what's required while in custom install then install the latest PotPlayer Beta.

Guys just want to ask something,

When you in Source/Splitter section and then you click the filter management, is the LAV Video and Audio need to checked like the Splitter?
I mean you need to checked them all when you in Splitter, but how about the Video and Audio?

Thanks guys!

Hi everyone, yeah long time i know.. predict whats gonna happen tomorrow is in the head of many peoples everyday. Things happen when you less spectate, as many of you know and for the ones still dont know im South American ( Venezuela ), if any of you want to check the " news " of what is happening here should have an idea why i had been more lost than usual. We all having very bad times, my family life and also mine affected alot, is good to see this is still " on here " after all, i really sorry for the followers but there are the reasons of why i was lost. A very trusted person been keeping me up about this thread sometimes using my account and also on guru3d forums. Still i try to enjoy watch my stuffs when i have the chance ( to rest my mind from all this troubles ) is good to see this community still up. Someone donated me SVP 4 Pro and a new rig ( thank you again if you are reading this ). So i need to get caught up with many things now.

Again i ask you all for your patience, i will update / change what i can in time, thanks to SVP Team to keep this still up and to the ones that still follow me with this.

Mak

489 (edited by cstarkey42 14-12-2016 23:41:27)

Thanks for the great guide, Mak.  I've been using it for a while and think it's great.

I recently got a new receiver and am trying to figure out how to bitstream.  I believe my system should be compatible (rxa2050 yamaha, gtx 1080 ftw, high speed hdmi) but whenever I play something the receiver says PCM.  I've tried changing the lav audio settings, potplayer audio settings, etc... and it either still plays PCM, gets no audio or the video opens but freezes on the first screen.  I've also tried it with CUVID, which I prefer, and without (windows 10).

If anyone can give me some suggestions I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks.

I hope everything is looking better for you, Mak.  We miss you here but, more importantly, hope your life is going well.

Edit:  I uninstalled and reinstalled without the included Potplayer codecs and it seems to finally be working.  I also left the windows audio settings on stereo, which is working for bitstreaming in 7.1 as well.  DTS-HD is coming through as only DTS, but I've made significant progress.

Edit2:  More progress.  I was able to set the windows settings to 7.1 and it didn't affect bitstreaming, so that wasn't an issue.  Also reinstalled Potplayer with codecs and it still works fine.  Got DTS-HD to work by deselecting "Use built-in audio processing filter (recommended)" and "Use built-in audio stream switcher" under filter control.  The only thing that is giving me a problem, and I'm guessing causing the previous problems, is Reclock.  If I have it installed I can't get bitstreaming to work, regardless of the setting.  It still doesn't work by just going back to WASAPI audio and only works again when Reclock is uninstalled.  Seems weird, but it's working now and sound amazing so I'm happy.  I hope this post helps someone.

490 (edited by Zachn 18-12-2016 22:19:34)

Hi Maken,

I am about to lose my mind!

Today I did a fresh clean install of PotPlayer and all the needed apps, I wanted to re-setup SVP.

I did everything according to your guide (Win 10 + GTX680) and I am not able to get DTS passthrough! It never worked with LAV, so I always used the default, but now after the new install I cannot get it to work with the built in codec as well. If I set my Audio Renderer to Reclock + LAV I am getting picture but no sound, and if I set renderer to Reclock with the built in audio filter with passthrough enabled, the movie doesn't even play. I tried default/alternative/FFMpeg SPDIF muxer and nothing works.

The only way I can get full DTS/DTS-HD passthrough with LAV or with the built in codec is by using the default WASAPI Audio Renderer. Any other renderer I select doesn't pass through the audio.

Are there any ReClock settings we need to set? I'm losing my mind... I can't get it to work with DirectSound or WaveOut as well, which is really weird, because they worked perfectly fine before I did the new installation.

Am I missing out on something by not using ReClock? Is it ok to leave it on the default WASAPI renderer?

Help please!

EDIT

Made some progress, I uninstalled the NVIDIA drivers, ran driver sweeper and reinstalled, I can now get passthrough with both LAV and built in codec using any Audio Renderer. However, I am unable to set WASAPI exclusive mode! Before when I was playing a movie, if I turned down the Windows volume it would not affect the receiver sound, but now it does and it's driving me crazy. I have changed no settings before, just installed and it was working perfectly. I must have uninstalled and reinstalled PotPlayer 10 times, tried to use built in WASAPI renderer and set it to Exclusive mode, but I am still not getting it. Help!

Hi everyone, i hope you all are ok, still having difficult times here where im living, bad times but still not giving up yet, ill come back this year, i cant say when but i will so you all have patience, Thanks to the ones who still find this useful. Support SVP Team for their good work. See you all take care.

Mak

Hi everyone, everything ok arround here? i hope. Yeah its been awhile =/ sorry for that. Like i said my life changed emmm how to say " bad times " yeah where im living ( Venezuela - South America ) very bad but well to not bother you all im waiting to have sometime to continue with this. A friend gifted me SVP Pro ( thanks bud ) and also i have a better rig with help of someone else, because i cant afford right now such pc.

Like i said before Thanks to SVP Team to keep this still " sticky " and to anyone that thinks its useful.

Hope your situation gets better soon Maken1. God Willling. God Bless.

First of all, congrats with this awesome tutorial!
I'm following the last steps in madvr but unfortunately, in scaling algorithms doesn't appear image doubling. I have the last version: 0.92.12

Slim wrote:

Hi, Thanks. I hope too.

Working in Update main Post. Thanks SVP Team to keep this active ( not deleted yet ).

MakeN

496 (edited by orky87 24-11-2018 13:20:44)

Maken1 wrote:
Slim wrote:

Working in Update main Post. Thanks SVP Team to keep this active ( not deleted yet ).

MakeN

Hey Maken, hope you're doing better. Just had a fresh OS install and even though I have your old guide screenshots/setting, rather wait to see your new guide soon.

All the best!

orky87 wrote:
Maken1 wrote:
Slim wrote:

MakeN

Hey Maken, hope you're doing better. Just had a fresh OS install and even though I have your old guide screenshots/setting, rather wait to see your new guide soon.

All the best!

Hi, yeah sorry for the long delay, been very busy and pc was not operative, got it back to work again. Making testings,etc and more right now. Hope to post / update this week.

Hi all, i hope you all are ok, right ? anyway i dont like to bother others peoples into personal drama, i mean i think is not good mix personal problems with other things ( Guide ) that have nothing to do but this time is necessary as the real excuse of what is happening, maybe the answer for the ones who wonder the hell is happening with me, with this Thread..Guide (out of date, unattended, empty, bla bla). Sometimes happen stuffs in your life or could happen that are beyond your hands, just happen and like it or not you have to deal with it.. thing is where im living.. very bad times that sadly affect us all, all of us including myself (family too). So long story and many stuffs i cant say / share too personal, thing is i lost my old pc, it got damaged, not money to repair it / get new one. But well thanks to some great peoples ( thank you all guys really ) PC is back on track its not actual Gen, still stuck on 4th Gen Intel CPU but at least its way better than my very old +5 year PC i was using all this time while making this guide.

That being said for the moment.. here my new plans for this Guide:

1- Basic settings for start, just all the necessary to make run the player to start using your SVP Free/Pro. Anything about SVP it self it goes to SVP Support / Team. Any question about SVP you should ask to SVP Team. I just want for now focus on the player with all i know.

2- Fill in time a section i call Extra with stuffs about: 4K, High Quality, NVidia tweaks / GPU settings, LCD 1080p Monitors (HDMI), PC tweaks, MadVR, Sound, Sound Card and finally SVP settings.

That is what im thinking but we will see in time, first i need to focus in get my pc back on track, see what it can do now, it potential, limits, etc. Then just left testing.

Well folks thats all for now, any comment, question or donations are welcome can be post here or give me your email.  See ya \m/

Mak

Maken1 wrote:

Hi all, i hope you all are ok, right ? anyway i dont like to bother others peoples into personal drama, i mean i think is not good mix personal problems with other things ( Guide ) that have nothing to do but this time is necessary as the real excuse of what is happening, maybe the answer for the ones who wonder the hell is happening with me, with this Thread..Guide (out of date, unattended, empty, bla bla). Sometimes happen stuffs in your life or could happen that are beyond your hands, just happen and like it or not you have to deal with it.. thing is where im living.. very bad times that sadly affect us all, all of us including myself (family too). So long story and many stuffs i cant say / share too personal, thing is i lost my old pc, it got damaged, not money to repair it / get new one. But well thanks to some great peoples ( thank you all guys really ) PC is back on track its not actual Gen, still stuck on 4th Gen Intel CPU but at least its way better than my very old +5 year PC i was using all this time while making this guide.

That being said for the moment.. here my new plans for this Guide:

1- Basic settings for start, just all the necessary to make run the player to start using your SVP Free/Pro. Anything about SVP it self it goes to SVP Support / Team. Any question about SVP you should ask to SVP Team. I just want for now focus on the player with all i know.

2- Fill in time a section i call Extra with stuffs about: 4K, High Quality, NVidia tweaks / GPU settings, LCD 1080p Monitors (HDMI), PC tweaks, MadVR, Sound, Sound Card and finally SVP settings.

That is what im thinking but we will see in time, first i need to focus in get my pc back on track, see what it can do now, it potential, limits, etc. Then just left testing.

Well folks thats all for now, any comment, question or donations are welcome can be post here or give me your email.  See ya \m/

Mak

Thank you so much for your hard work, Maken! This is/was my favorite guide and player for Windows smile Can't wait to see your updated guide when it's ready!

Hi, Merry Christmas to you All friends, i hope you all are having wonderful time with your families today. Its 11:50 pm right now while im writing this, sorry for the Delay i been super busy but finally im making time for this, i expect the Guide will be completed this week or at 90% at least because i did all the runs and tests i wanted before Update.

So for the moment updated the list of all the Apps and Hardware you need for the upcoming big update of my Guide that will include more than before.. Things i always wanted but i didnt had the " decent " hardware for it.

I will cover all i can of course that is reach to my knowledge and experience about stuffs never posted and shown before that are:

1- Overclock your decent LCD Led 1080p (HDMI) or better Monitor to reach more than 60 fps/60Hz for better smooth quality, some monitors can be Overclocked to at least get you a bit more of 60 Hz, of course this will be up to the Users risk because some say: " it may kill the life of your monitor than expected ". Im running my monitor overclocked to 75Hz for about +4 months and its fine, not a single issue or noticeable problems becoming from it, but like i said this will be up to you, your decision what is preferable this be done by " Experienced or Advanced users " you could try or even help me, correct me in case im doing something wrong. Of course for this you will need to follow other steps and configurations i will show you as well.

so NVIDIA Profile Inspector, Custom Resolution Utility CRU, NVIDIA Pixel Clock Patcher and right Drivers will cover all of it and a big Note this is for NVIDIA Users Only for the moment, Sorry AMD Users i dont have yet AMD GPU / AMD FreeSync. AMD will be cover in time in near future i hope ( donations are welcome ). Minimum Nvidia GPU needed must be 1060 or 1070 (gtx 980 Ti equivalent also work too) so the better your Monitor, the connection type (HDMI or DisplayPort) and GPU = best results, quality!. The Monitor to be use must be minimum 1080p LCD using a HDMI/DisplayPort Connection. Then again the better the monitor connected to any Nvidia GTX 1070 / 1080 / Ti / Titan p/ GTX 2070 / 2080/ Ti the results will be optimal and best, for high smoothness quality!.

2- Easy and Recommended Nvidia Control Panel Settings not only for this also for your Games. So not only doing the above mentioned will give you another level also for Free to your Games as well.

3- Overclock your GPU following the same conditions and more mentioned on the " Overclock your Monitor ". Nvidia users only, for the moment of course AMD will be covered in near future / get the chance ( lacking hardware at the moment ).

4- One thing im very! demanding is with Audio Quality and for that i did a crazy testing, doing it since 2014 but never posted because the results was not like i wanted, i could not find the solution or the right " answer " for what i called " best or ideal audio quality " because for me its not the same watch any content if the audio is not pleasing to my Ears. For this you will need Any decent onboard or PCI-Express (PCI-E preferable) Creative Sound Blaster Audio Card. A note is still after all this years.. Creative audio drivers are bad, some Effects that were Renamed but are the same S... " thing " cause the same issues in some conditions that require good ears to notice. There are modded drivers but i wont recommend anything that is not tested by me First so if i have to " recommend " any driver, i will do so.

The kind and model of your Speakers will be a very important part of the end resulting Quality so keep that in mind!, i will show and explain something and after that you will Have to safe money until you can Afford a proper or decent Speakers if you are a Hungry and Audio Quality Maniac as im smile. Only for Demanding Ears and users that want the Max audio Quality possible from High Quality Sources ( media files ). Its not just about to buy the best audio card out there, plug in, play " anything " and done you have instant high quality possible.. no no no, its not that simple!. It require more stuffs to do for Free (dont worry i will help you with that).

5- More to Add in time and all of this and more will be POST Only on EXTRAS section, so make sure when this guide is almost completed to check it First before anything, anything posted on EXTRAS could be of any Use for you so again make sure to check it First before anything.

- you have a Dedicated Sound Blaster PCI-E Sound Card Only? Go on you are fine.
- You have a 1080p LCD Monitor connected through HDMI connection Only? (No Nvidia GPU, just iGPU or AMD) still Go on you are fine, maybe limited but.. you must find out.
- You have a 1080p LCD Monitor connected through HDMI connection with Any of the mentioned Nvidia GPUs Only? Go on you are fine.

And more, with all of that you got a better idea right? again you must check EXTRAS first then you decide what to do Next.

This is all for now, i will continue editing, updating this week and when i have free time, right now trying to enjoy with family all i can, my country having very bad times, maybe any of you are having best moment and time than me but im not down or give up, im still here looking forward. I hope things get better fast because we all need it! sad. Note: yes i know Engish not good, sorry for that, a friend will help me later with the Guide and it Translation once Guide is almost Complete.

Mak