1 (edited by Slim 05-08-2016 10:19:52)

Topic: 24p performance for a newbie

Hi All

Im wondering can you help.

I enjoy SVP but not for films.

I am having issues playing films using pot player with SVP not loaded. The problem doesnt seem to be there using MPC HC. (i dont have a clue why). Im also guessing the problem will be there slightly if i do use SVP but I dont care much for SVP for now..

The problem Im having is when using pot player, any 24p film, every so often (maby every 5 to 10 seconds.. i dont seem to see a pattern) the frame rate looks like it drops to 5fps for about 1.5 seconds then returns back to normal fluidity,, but the video player reports around 24fps. (changes from 23.88 to around 24 if im looking in the right place).

From what I have tested.. i dont seem to see that problem with MPC-HC. All i want is the best image and motion for my 24fps films. Can anyone suggest anything?

I have attached some images if they help :S

Any help would be much appreciated

P.S
1) I have i7 2600k, gtx 970, windows 10 pro on 500ssd
2) its a new Windows install, new drivers and pot player installation using the guide.
3) I notice in MPC the frame rate is more constant than pot player (could this be related?)

Post's attachments

mpc hc aliens.JPG, 65.64 kb, 791 x 843
mpc hc aliens.JPG 65.64 kb, 429 downloads since 2016-08-05 

pot player aliens.JPG 145.23 kb, 152 downloads since 2016-08-05 

Re: 24p performance for a newbie

hmm not sure why I cant show the pot player jpg like how I showed the MPC :S

anyhow.. you can click the pot player output file too

3 (edited by Slim 05-08-2016 12:01:03)

ok guys.. i seem to have found out why its stuttering every so often.

in Video -> direct3d presentation = (if this is on direct3d 9x copy mode present... it causes stuttering) I changed this to 'auto' and the stutter seems to have gone.

But by setting this to auto,, what have i changed? is it going to be worse image quality? Will have to do more testing to see if the stutter has definitely gone... maybe it hasn't as its sometimes comes n goes for some reason :S

Thanks

Post's attachments

pot player setting.JPG, 39.83 kb, 536 x 275
pot player setting.JPG 39.83 kb, 394 downloads since 2016-08-05 

4 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 05-08-2016 12:34:06)

No, it shouldn't reduce the quality; it should just be different ways to go about displaying the image.

The main thing is that a single method is not universally "the best" across multiple variations of hardware and OSes - an easy example is that any Direct3D 11 stuff won't work on any GPU made before circa 2006, but using it can sometimes be faster (but sometimes it's also slower).

brilliant. thanks. Yes ive tested more and it definitely lags at times using direct3d 9ex copy mode...