1 (edited by Duckers 26-07-2016 23:55:55)

Topic: Do i have to pay for 3 licences to have it on my 3 pc's?

So, i have a gaming pc, tablet (with i5-6300u) and a macbook pro mid 14 with dualcore i5. do i have to pay 38 bucks to get the paid version on them all?

And while i'm at it with this post: Can i copy a youtube playlist and then the svp activated mpc hc will then add that to the playlist of the mpc?

And if i pay for lets say 3 licences, are they then 3 separate "keys"?

2 (edited by brucethemoose 27-07-2016 01:16:29)

Re: Do i have to pay for 3 licences to have it on my 3 pc's?

When you buy SVP, you get 1 key + your own license page that looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/8SG73E5.png

And it looks like it'd cost you $33 for 2 Windows licenses + 1 OSX one.

Not sure about YT playlists. I don't see a function for that in the included Youtube tool, but that doesn't mean you can't feed the URLs of the streams to MPC somehow.

BTW, you should use the MPV version over the MPC one. It's more CPU-efficient, and it can do basically everything MPC+MadVR can do.

Alright. And is there a way to try out the svptube before i decide to buy it?

4 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 27-07-2016 04:28:41)

brucethemoose wrote:

BTW, you should use the MPV version over the MPC one. It's more CPU-efficient, and it can do basically everything MPC+MadVR can do.

...except for configuring automatic changing of your screen resolution/refresh rate - to achieve the same thing in mpv you practically have to be savvy in coding and/or command line-like stuff.  By comparison such functionality is built right into MPC-HC's options GUI.

Also, MPC-HC with D3D Fullsceen and the bilinear (not PS 2.0) resizer is definitely the fastest and lightest-weight method of video playback which is very important for older PCs (read: Core 2 Duo systems with 10-year-old Intel integrated graphics).

not 38 but 23 plus 10

but you'd better test the tablet with free version first, you may not get what you expect from it...

6 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 27-07-2016 18:50:14)

Chainik wrote:

but you'd better test the tablet with free version first, you may not get what you expect from it...

It's still a Skylake CPU and not an Atom-based one, so it should still be quite plenty as long as 1080p and higher isn't involved, and even then 1080p may not be out of the question.

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:
Chainik wrote:

It's still a Skylake CPU and not an Atom-based one, so it should still be quite plenty as long as 1080p and higher isn't involved, and even then 1080p may not be out of the question.

Yep. My main pc renders 1080p movies to 144 fps with the program and apparently only uses 43% cpu. So 60 fps on the tablet should be no problem. Same with the mac.

last time I've tried Surface 3 Pro with haswell i3 CPU it was completely unusable cause it was dropping frequency to the ground (and even lower) after a few minutes of full system load

9 (edited by brucethemoose 28-07-2016 00:36:39)

Chainik wrote:

last time I've tried Surface 3 Pro with haswell i3 CPU it was completely unusable cause it was dropping frequency to the ground (and even lower) after a few minutes of full system load

Skylake might work though. Not only is it more power efficient, but based on the benchmarks I've seen, it seems like SVP got a bigger boost from the architecture upgrade than most other programs did.

10 (edited by James D 28-07-2016 10:09:36)

Chainik wrote:

Intel-Core-i5-6300U is a dual core 2.5GHz CPU with 3MB Cache and it throttles down to 800MHz. If it is tablet then it will throttle down for sure. The worst thing is that it will throttle faster because at first it turboboosts itself which makes it rise temperature higher, then in 15-30 seconds it goes back to stock and then sooner or later starts throttling.

11 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 28-07-2016 11:53:25)

James D wrote:

Intel-Core-i5-6300U is a dual core 2.5GHz CPU with 3MB Cache and it throttles down to 800MHz.

...so still faster than my Core 2 Duo T8300 that lacks any sort of GPU acceleration or decoding.

I made a lengthy post a year or so ago detailing various tricks on making due with a lower-performance PC in SVP.  Lemme see if I can find it...

EDIT: Found it, but the post isn't that clear.  Basically do the following in MPC-HC:

1. EVR custom presenter
2. Use D3D Fullscreen
3. Disable any accurate vsync
4. Use the Bilinear (not PS 2.0) resizer unless there is minimal performance difference between Bilinear and Bicubic on your PC
5. Set your screen refresh rate to always be 2x of the source fps (for 48Hz for a 24fps video, 50Hz for 25fps, 60Hz for 30fps, etc)
6. Beware of 10bit AVC/h.264 videos (popular with anime); unlike VP9 and HEVC/h.265, hardware decoding of 10bit AVC/h.264 is extremely uncommon (no AMD, Intel, or Nvidia GPU supports it)

In SVP (assuming you're using a 720p video)...

1. Manually set threads to at least 5 (lower CPU utilization) and at most 7 (more performance head-room)
2. Enable "resize to HD" (may not need to be manually set if your screen resolution is set to 1280x720)
3. Do not use automatic settings (see: http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2699)
4. Only use x2 interpolation (may not need to be manually set if you're following #5 above)
5. Always use "Uniform"
6. Set motion vectors precision to "Two pixel"
7. Set motion vectors grid to "16px"
8. Try to set the shader to "Standard"; otherwise use "Simple Lite" (use "Sharp" for anime)

If you end up actually having some performance headroom left over, then try increasing the motion vectors grid to 14px and maybe even 12px, but sometimes it's actually better to instead set motion vectors precision to "One pixel", so fiddle with those two settings.

If you aren't able to always do x2 interpolation, then keep in mind that doing something like 1m + standard shader will actually give less artifacts than Uniform + simple lite, though the latter will be smoother.

James D wrote:
Chainik wrote:

Intel-Core-i5-6300U is a dual core 2.5GHz CPU with 3MB Cache and it throttles down to 800MHz. If it is tablet then it will throttle down for sure. The worst thing is that it will throttle faster because at first it turboboosts itself which makes it rise temperature higher, then in 15-30 seconds it goes back to stock and then sooner or later starts throttling.

It only throttles down when reaching 100c. And it has yet to go over 65c.

Duckers wrote:

Well then!  Maybe you won't have to live with the compromised SVP rig-up that I've been living with on my HTPC for the last could years. smile

Duckers wrote:

Well then!  Maybe you won't have to live with the compromised SVP rig-up that I've been living with on my HTPC for the last could years. smile

Nope, but i will mostly only use svp for my gaming pc with a 144hz monitor to get buttery smooth videos tongue Tho i don't like that "field" around fast moving objects in the videos :S

Duckers wrote:

While watching movie using SVP?

16 (edited by Duckers 28-07-2016 21:27:59)

James D wrote:
Duckers wrote:

Nope, when playing games like skyrim and gta V (amazingly with everything on lowest i get 45 fps)

So with the cpu on 100% it just won't go over 65c since it has a hybrid cooling with a giant liquid filled heatsink that spans over the rest of the tablet instead of the one single puny fan it has)

And also, on my gaming pc, i just tried virtual desktop for htc vive and svp, it works marvelous when setting the fps to 90 for the movies, but i notived that the movie (pixels) slows down to slow motion while the audio continues fine and ends up darn delayed in the video when all the details came around. Is that normal? CAuse normally svp only uses 30% gpu and 43% cpu.

Even when not using virtual desktop, this happens.

Image link causze it apparently was too big to upload: http://puu.sh/qhSA7/fcc6e56ba0.jpg

Duckers wrote:
James D wrote:
Duckers wrote:

Nope, when playing games like skyrim and gta V (amazingly with everything on lowest i get 45 fps)

So with the cpu on 100% it just won't go over 65c since it has a hybrid cooling with a giant liquid filled heatsink that spans over the rest of the tablet instead of the one single puny fan it has)

Well, If I were you I would try Free version on it first because I am still not very sure in its capability.

James D wrote:
Duckers wrote:
James D wrote:

Well, If I were you I would try Free version on it first because I am still not very sure in its capability.

I did, and the performance was horrible lol. Gown to 86-97 most of the time in a 4GB avatar bluray movie heh. and that with performance set all down to minimum and low profile artifact masking

Duckers wrote:

I did, and the performance was horrible lol. Gown to 86-97 most of the time

...I think we have different definitions of "horrible" - that's within spitting distance to be honest.  If you can get your display refresh rate to run at 2x of the source framerate (presumably 48Hz in this case) then I wouldn't be surprised if that would be enough (2x interpolation is quite a bit more intensive than 2.5x interpolation).

Duckers wrote:

I did, and the performance was horrible lol. Gown to 86-97 most of the time

...I think we have different definitions of "horrible" - that's within spitting distance to be honest.  If you can get your display refresh rate to run at 2x of the source framerate (presumably 48Hz in this case) then I wouldn't be surprised if that would be enough (2x interpolation is quite a bit more intensive than 2.5x interpolation).

I meant the SVP index.

21 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 29-07-2016 01:28:09)

Duckers wrote:

I meant the SVP index.

...so did I.

It takes less processor grunt to do 24fps --to-> 48Hz than 24fps --to-> 60Hz; just because you can't do the latter doesn't mean you'd be unable to do the former (and it's actually smoother to boot).  My fown Nvidia NVS 3100M can't do 720p 24fps --to-> 60Hz at all, but 720p 24fps --to-> 48Hz is completely within its capabilities.

22 (edited by James D 29-07-2016 11:41:32)

It takes less processor grunt to do 24fps --to-> 48Hz than 24fps --to-> 60Hz

If his GPU is Intel or Intel Optimus+... then he can't change LCD refresh rate unless flashing modified EDID.

Duckers wrote:

I did, and the performance was horrible lol. Gown to 86-97 most of the time in a 4GB avatar bluray movie heh. and that with performance set all down to minimum and low profile artifact masking

Try disabling OR enabling GPU Acceleration. Doubt that it helps though.

James D wrote:

It takes less processor grunt to do 24fps --to-> 48Hz than 24fps --to-> 60Hz

If his GPU is Intel or Intel Optimus+... then he can't change LCD refresh rate unless flashing modified EDID.

Optimus yes, but even plain old Intel graphics?  You can totally make custom resolutions and refresh rates on desktop Intel (at least since Haswell), so I'd find it suprising that the drivers could tell an embedded DisplayPort display from an external DisplayPort one since they're practically the same protocol anyway.

Optimus yes, but even plain old Intel graphics?  You can totally make custom resolutions and refresh rates on desktop Intel (at least since Haswell), so I'd find it suprising that the drivers could tell an embedded DisplayPort display from an external DisplayPort one since they're practically the same protocol anyway.

Mobile Intel don't allow any change to the default refresh rate. Used to be possible on Linux but they "fixed" that soon too. I'd slap the face of that morron who approved this.

James D wrote:

Used to be possible on Linux but they "fixed" that soon too.

As I mentioned I'm not particularly Linux-savvy so you'll have to forgive my ignorance...but it's my understanding that there are both open source and proprietary drivers, and that this seems par for the course with any sort of proprietary drivers but seems way out of line with any sort of open source drivers.