1 (edited by TayyabKhalid 17-06-2016 19:01:26)

Topic: What settings are you using on MadVR for anime and TV shows?

Here is mine:
Jinc on Chroma and Image Upscaling
Camul on Image Downscaling

2 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 07-06-2016 21:39:51)

Re: What settings are you using on MadVR for anime and TV shows?

There are no "best" settings for both quality and performance because higher quality requires more performance and vice-versa, and everybody has different PC hardware and therefore different amounts of performance headroom.

And this is before you even factor in SVP - some users have SVP set to interpolate more aggressively and therefore uses even more performance which leaves less on the table for MadVR.

3 (edited by ionutm80 10-06-2016 08:32:07)

Hi just to add my 2 cents here on image upscaling / doubling:
- for low powered systems like Intel NUC, DXVA scalling is the way to go since it saves sufficient resources to allow for SVP and is very similar to Lanczos 3 + AR (only for Intel iGPU, not for NVidia or AMD).
- for more potent systems: anything 576/480p -> 1080p NNEDI3 64 Neurons image doubling is king + Lanczos 3AR for image upscaling,  the rest is only marginal improvement, for 720p -> 1080p Jinc for image upscaling or if the system allows NNEDI 32 Neurons could be seen as good options
Anything higher than Bicubic75AR for Chroma upscaling is a waste of resources, I could not see any visible improvement but ... my eyes are not perfect.
Image downscaling: Bicubic100 is more than sufficient (Catmull-Rom is a fancy name of Bicubic 50).

ionutm80 wrote:

Hi just to add my 2 cents here on image upscaling / doubling:
- for low powered systems like Intel NUC, DXVA scalling is the way to go since it saves sufficient resources to allow for SVP and is very similar to Lanczos 3 + AR (only for Intel iGPU, not for NVidia or AMD).
- for more potent systems: anything 576/480p -> 1080p NNEDI3 64 Neurons image doubling is king + Lanczos 3AR for image upscaling,  the rest is only marginal improvement, for 720p -> 1080p Jinc for image upscaling or if the system allows NNEDI 32 Neurons could be seen as good options
Anything higher than Bicubic75AR for Chroma upscaling is a waste of resources, I could not see any visible improvement but ... my eyes are not perfect.
Image downscaling: Bicubic100 is more than sufficient (Catmull-Rom is a fancy name of Bicubic 50).

Oh, thank you so much for this settings I really appreciate it, as for Image doublling do I put all four alternatives on 64 neurons?

What do you mean by all four alternatives?!

ionutm80 wrote:

What do you mean by all four alternatives?!

For both Luma and Chroma all on 64 neurons in the Image doubling section?

Only Luma doubling, Chroma doubling is another big waste of resources.

8 (edited by TayyabKhalid 10-06-2016 09:16:17)

ionutm80 wrote:

Only Luma doubling, Chroma doubling is another big waste of resources.

Btw could I ask for your SVP setting too, its looks like you have some good info for this kind of thing, I would appreciate it a lot! smile

only some madVR knowledge, SVP is on default level, sorry.

On my low power systems I skip MadVR completely and use EVR custom + D3D Fullscreen in MPC-HC with Bicubic scaling; on really weak systems I use bilinear (not PS 2.0) scaling (combined with D3D Fullscreen gives you the lowest CPU utilization possible outside of using nearest neighbor).

Many people like to oversharpen their chroma. Imho it is detrimental to image quality though. SoftCubic 80 is a very good bang for your buck at chroma upscaling. If you do image doubling with NNEDI, it might get too soft though (that can be helped by doing chroma doubling as well). If you have the resources to spare Reconstruction soft can look very good, that depends on luma artifacts of the source though.

Anime is the only case where you want sharp chroma, in that case, treat it like luma.

Jinc AR and NNEDI (32 or more neurons) really are the best upscalers for luma. I like to add 3x Superres.