1 (edited by TayyabKhalid 01-06-2016 07:16:20)

Topic: Best svp 4 pro setup for 480p anime?

I am watching anime and this one doesn't exist in 720 or higher, so I have to watch in 480p. Therefore I am wondering what is the best settings for SVP for 480p?

Current:
Uniform
Sharp
Disabled
One Pixel
12px
Disabled
Large
Strongest
Large
Blend adjacent frames

Re: Best svp 4 pro setup for 480p anime?

your rig specification?

adamjanin wrote:

your rig specification?

My build is as follows:
CASE: Fractal Design Refine R5
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W
MOB: Asus z170 Pro Gaming
CPU: Intel Core i5 6600 Skylake
GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB w/backplate
RAM: HyperX Fury 2133MHz 16GB
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Anime definitely exists in 720p or higher.

adamkex wrote:

Anime definitely exists in 720p or higher.

The one I am watching does not, please read the post before making assumptions.

6 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 02-06-2016 21:11:35)

Your PC is way more than enough for 480p content, even if it was 10bit.

Basically you could "max out" SVP's settings and still not even get close to hitting the limit of your system.

Really then you might as well just set everything to maximum (except artifact masking) and then experiment with the following two settings because they will directly effect the artifacting:

SVP Shader
Motion vectors grid

(though for anime, you don't really want to use any shader settings other than "Sharp" or "Complicated")

Also, with such high settings, you may need to increase the amount of processing threads that SVP uses (currently it's "automatic" selection is not great) because otherwise you can get slow performance while still only using like 30% CPU utilization; you want to use the smallest amount of processing threads possible that still gives you a perfectly smooth result.

A couple other things to recommend that are not exclusive to anime nor SVP but can still help:

If you use MadVR, set SVP to use your Intel integrated graphics while your Radeon 390 is used for MadVR.

Also use MPC-HC's or MadVR's automatic resolution changer (may require the use of custom resolutions) to automatically set your screen refresh rate to an exact multiple of the source video frame rate (because 24fps playing back at 72Hz is smoother and has less artifacts than 24fps playing at 75Hz).

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:

Your PC is way more than enough for 480p content, even if it was 10bit.

Basically you could "max out" SVP's settings and still not even get close to hitting the limit of your system.

Really then you might as well just set everything to maximum (except artifact masking) and then experiment with the following two settings because they will directly effect the artifacting:

SVP Shader
Motion vectors grid

(though for anime, you don't really want to use any shader settings other than "Sharp" or "Complicated")

Also, with such high settings, you may need to increase the amount of processing threads that SVP uses (currently it's "automatic" selection is not great) because otherwise you can get slow performance while still only using like 30% CPU utilization; you want to use the smallest amount of processing threads possible that still gives you a perfectly smooth result.

A couple other things to recommend that are not exclusive to anime nor SVP but can still help:

If you use MadVR, set SVP to use your Intel integrated graphics while your Radeon 390 is used for MadVR.

Also use MPC-HC's or MadVR's automatic resolution changer (may require the use of custom resolutions) to automatically set your screen refresh rate to an exact multiple of the source video frame rate (because 24fps playing back at 72Hz is smoother and has less artifacts than 24fps playing at 75Hz).

Oh thanks for letting me know, but how many threads should I use 11-15?

TayyabKhalid
For your Intel Core i5 6600 (4 logical cores) you should start from 9 threads in SVP. And increase that number in case with lack of performance.

9 (edited by TayyabKhalid 03-06-2016 20:35:55)

MAG79 wrote:

TayyabKhalid
For your Intel Core i5 6600 (4 logical cores) you should start from 9 threads in SVP. And increase that number in case with lack of performance.

Thanks it definitely a lot smoother now, but I noticed something my frame rates keep rising over 72 fps, so my gpu and cpu gets used to much, and then it lags slightly every so often. Any solution to this too?
Would appreciate it, thanks! big_smile

I  am using Potplayer, LAV, Reclock and MadVr if you are wondering.

10 (edited by GodZeon 03-06-2016 20:59:53)

Been using SVP for over a year now. I still find myself wondering about the settings all the time.
These are the settings I've found that worked pretty well for me (at least for anime):

Uniform/Adaptive (Pretty much the same from my experience, as long as you don't mind some artifacts)
Sharp/Standard/Complicated (Sharp will give you less artifacts but standard and complicated are much smoother. I personally prefer complicated.)
Artifacts Masking disabled (Using weakest/weak/... reduce smoothness. Even the slightest artifact masking reduces smoothness quite a bit for me).
Half Pixel (for increased precision, always been better for me, as long as you can spare the cpu).
12 px. Average 2 for Motion Vector grid (I've found this setting to actually work wonders for smoothness. Any lower and you get noticeable artifacts).
Decrease grid step by 2 with global refinement (ABSOLUTELY must use this setting with anime if you can spare the cpu. Without this hardsubs are unbearable).
Search radius: small and fast (This one I have not tested too extensively I was wondering if anyone could explain this thoroughly. What to use with anime, and not with).
Wide Search: strongest (Not too sure about this one either. If you can spare the CPU use strongest)
Large Width Coarse (Irrelevant setting applies to 4k and 2k video which I never have).
Repeat frame/Blend adjacent (I have yet to notice a difference here but I have not tested enough. I stick with repeat).

Like Nintendo Maniac mentioned, I also found a 72Hz overclocked monitor to be quite smoother than 60Hz standard.

I'm wondering how many threads I should use with my CPU.

System Specs:
AMD FX-8350 Vishera 8-Core OC'd to 4.6 GHz
GeForce GTX 760
Monitor: ASUS VS247H-P OC'd from 60Hz to 72Hz.
Windows 10

TayyabKhalid wrote:
MAG79 wrote:

TayyabKhalid

Thanks it definitely a lot smoother now, but I noticed something my frame rates keep rising over 72 fps, so my gpu and cpu gets used to much, and then it lags slightly every so often. Any solution to this too?
Would appreciate it, thanks! big_smile

I  am using Potplayer, LAV, Reclock and MadVr if you are wondering.

You can set a fixed frame rate like so:
https://u.teknik.io/nAg3p.png

GodZeon wrote:

Forgive my off topic-ness, but what Windows theme is that?

GodZeon wrote:

Check your PM xD

GodZeon wrote:

Been using SVP for over a year now. I still find myself wondering about the settings all the time.
These are the settings I've found that worked pretty well for me (at least for anime):

Uniform/Adaptive (Pretty much the same from my experience, as long as you don't mind some artifacts)
Sharp/Standard/Complicated (Sharp will give you less artifacts but standard and complicated are much smoother. I personally prefer complicated.)
Artifacts Masking disabled (Using weakest/weak/... reduce smoothness. Even the slightest artifact masking reduces smoothness quite a bit for me).
Half Pixel (for increased precision, always been better for me, as long as you can spare the cpu).
12 px. Average 2 for Motion Vector grid (I've found this setting to actually work wonders for smoothness. Any lower and you get noticeable artifacts).
Decrease grid step by 2 with global refinement (ABSOLUTELY must use this setting with anime if you can spare the cpu. Without this hardsubs are unbearable).
Search radius: small and fast (This one I have not tested too extensively I was wondering if anyone could explain this thoroughly. What to use with anime, and not with).
Wide Search: strongest (Not too sure about this one either. If you can spare the CPU use strongest)
Large Width Coarse (Irrelevant setting applies to 4k and 2k video which I never have).
Repeat frame/Blend adjacent (I have yet to notice a difference here but I have not tested enough. I stick with repeat).

Like Nintendo Maniac mentioned, I also found a 72Hz overclocked monitor to be quite smoother than 60Hz standard.

I'm wondering how many threads I should use with my CPU.

System Specs:
AMD FX-8350 Vishera 8-Core OC'd to 4.6 GHz
GeForce GTX 760
Monitor: ASUS VS247H-P OC'd from 60Hz to 72Hz.
Windows 10

It's called "Black10 V2 for Windows 10 TH2 by gsw953" I'm using the red version.

Just search the above quotation in Google, and you will find it along with instructions. If not, then let me know.