Topic: Does SVP 4 Pro support/will support HEVC (h265) MKV?

I have recently come across an anime video which runs on HEVC (h265) MKV.

Here is the link for everyone's kind reference: http://www.soulreaperzone.com/download- … -mini-mkv/ -----> Scroll down & you will find a Red coloured '+' symbol along with 'Download HEVC (h265) MKV'. Download any episode & you can get the technical details of it.

Please let me know whether SVP 4 Pro supports this feature or will support this feature in the near future. Thank you. smile

Re: Does SVP 4 Pro support/will support HEVC (h265) MKV?

it's a question of video decoder whether it supports some video format or not
SVP only works with raw video stream after the decoder
so yes, SVP "supports" HEVC (h265) MKV

3 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 22-05-2016 21:12:18)

SVP works regardless of the video codec.

Support for the video codec is purely determined by the media player, not SVP (which is separate from said media player).

Really the biggest issue is that, last I checked, the MPC-HC (and therefore LAVfilters) that is bundled with SVP is kind of outdated...but honestly it'd be silly to update it until the next version of MPC-HC comes out because it should be released any day now.

Thank you for the quick reply. It solved some of my misunderstandings. Sorry, I am not a tech-savvy person. Anyways, you helped me understand for which I am thankful. smile

Not to drag this thread down a rat hole but..it takes a fair amount of decoder (CPU) 'horsepower' - more than most folks have on hand. It is more efficient to do it with dedicated hardware. Bottomline is that the dedicated hardware support is found only on the latest offerings...

• Intel 6th-generation ‘Skylake’ Core processors or newer
    AMD 6th-generation ‘Carizzo’ APUs or newer
    AMD ‘Fiji’ GPUs (Radeon R9 Fury/Fury X/Nano) or newer
    Nvidia GM206 GPUs (GeForce GTX 960/950) or newer
    Other Nvidia GeForce GTX 900 series GPUs have partial HEVC hardware decoding support
    Qualcomm Snapdragon 805/615/410/208 SoCs or newer
    Nvidia Tegra X1 SoCs or newer
    Samsung Exynos 5 Octa 5430 SoCs or newer
    Apple A8 SoCs or newer
    Some MediaTek SoCs from mid-2014 onwards

Using updated LAVfilters helps quite a bit with lowering the CPU utilization for decoding.

I don't know about nowadays, but 2 years ago decoding HEVC in software used about the same CPU utilization as did decoding VP9, and I've been running 1080p VP9 videos through SVP for quite a while now without any hardware decoding...

Yep, Intel NUC 5th Gen Haswell (54250WYK) is decoding 1080p60 HEVC just fine for me.

Encoding on the other hand needs some more serious hardware, either a decent CPU or a recent NVidia desktop card (960 GTX upwards I think).

IMO MistahBonzai's post is unduly pessimistic regarding the hardware required.

8 (edited by MistahBonzai 23-05-2016 17:38:12)

Yes, I was unduly pessimistic. The HEVC H265 material I have tested has been, for the most part, 2160p HEVC (Main 10@L5.1@High) displayed full screen (exclusive mode). The display is 1080p/59.940/10-bit and all input runs through madVR by default. Went back and tested with some of that material (2160p/29.970) using EVR(CP) and discovered it plays smoothly although output is of course 8-bit. My goal is to eventually upgrade to a '4K' display. The Vizio P50-C1 does all that I want in the way graphics editing and the like. Sorry again about being overly pessimistic as I had overlooked all possibilities other than my goal which is full 2160p/10-bit processing.

MistahBonzai wrote:

using EVR(CP) and discovered it plays smoothly although output is of course 8-bit

Protip:

Post's attachments

MPC-HC and 10bit.png, 14.59 kb, 583 x 533
MPC-HC and 10bit.png 14.59 kb, 586 downloads since 2016-05-23 

10 (edited by MistahBonzai 24-05-2016 00:18:09)

Hey, I haven't been there in like..forever smile I started using Jan Willems fork of MPC-HC quite a few years back cuz he supported 10-bit and color management. Eventually I found myself more often using the main version of MPC-HC along with madVR once madshi added so many sweet processing and scaling options. My HD-7850 is getting kinda long in the tooth and I'm eagerly awaiting the AMD Polaris series GPUs (thus an upgrade to the Vizio P50-C1 from my trusty, but 10 year old, Sony Bravia 40w3000.

MistahBonzai wrote:

Vizio P50-C1

Bu-but... that's still an LCD. D:

12 (edited by MistahBonzai 25-05-2016 00:45:42)

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:
MistahBonzai wrote:

Vizio P50-C1

Bu-but... that's still an LCD. D:

I've spent countless hours researching. I don't watch content, I create it smile The typical viewing distance is 18-24 inches. Text resolution is very important to me. Had an opportunity to view the 55" curved and flat LG OLEDs straight on with text at 18-24 inches a couple of weeks back. Unfortunately the pentile (actually RGBW) subpixel arrangement utilized in these displays (to create a brighter display) just doesn't cut it when viewed close-up - kinda like an OLED phone display at 100 dpi sad

Now 50 inch is about a large as I can go at my viewing distance without going beyond the width comfort zone. However the curve could work wonders for use as a monitor so I looked very hard to justify the ragged pixel arrangement which resulted in blurry definition in fine text . I was prepared to part with ~$2500 but low and behold the best display I have evaluated so far that fits the bill is the new Vizio P50-C1. True 10-bit panel and all. And text reproduction is outstanding! I was pleasantly surprised (actually shocked).

The low latency (gaming) HDMI port supports 2160@60, 4:2:0, up to 10-bit per color and 1080p@120, 4:4:4, up to 10-bit per color. Overall the standard HDMI ports tops out at  2160@60 4:2:0, up to 12 bit per color. And there is of course Dolby Digital HDR.

13 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 26-05-2016 00:34:26)

Let me guess - you were looking at a 1080p OLED?

Even the newest 1080p OLED uses a 2 year old panel design (the EG9100 uses the same panel as the EC9300).  That was only like a 2nd or 3rd generation OLED TV and there's already been 3 successive OLED generations; by comparison the 2016 OLED TVs are very much in a class of their own relative to any other currently-available TV technology.

Even if it was 4k, it was most likely the EG9600 model which itself is still 2 generations old (18 months).

Also, RGBW is not pentile - pentile means that you have less than 3 sub-pixels per "real" pixel (such as RGBG across two pixels).