Topic: Screen tearing

Hi. I downloaded SVP 4 free and it seems mostly fine. However in high motion scenes I have noticed screen tearing. I have tried looking online for help on how to fix but all the stuff I've seen about it uses old versions of software. So menus and stuff look different. My monitor displays at 60hz so I figured that there should be no tearing but that is not the case. I'm wondering if it would help if I lowered the max framerate from 60 to something else but I can't find anywhere to lower the max framerate. I'm just going to go back to what I was using before if I can't figure this out. Everything settings wise is all on default settings that the program choose when it installed.

Re: Screen tearing

Kojiden
What GPU do you have?
Usualy tearing while playing can be fixed in GPU driver by point VSync=enable. Try it.

Also if he's new to SVP maybe he thinks artifacts are tearing?

Maybe he's always had tearing and the high framerate is just making it more noticable now?

Either way, if you use MadVR, enable "use direct3d 11 for presentation" in the MadVR options.

If you don't use MadVR, enable "D3D Fullscreen" in the MPC-HC "Output" options.

When I used SVP for thefirst time it also took days for me to stop noticing ANY anomaly. Later I kinda got used to it, partially fixed it by refresh rate.

If it's possible, I would set monitor's refresh rate to 72 minimum.

MAG79 wrote:

Kojiden
What GPU do you have?
Usualy tearing while playing can be fixed in GPU driver by point VSync=enable. Try it.

GeForce 750 ti. I forced vsync in the nvidia control panel. It seems like screen tearing is mostly if not all gone. So I think that may have fixed the problem. Might need to watch some more anime before I am 100% confident that it is fixed.

Blackfyre wrote:

Also if he's new to SVP maybe he thinks artifacts are tearing?

If I understand tearing correctly it's when the picture is not lined up horizontally like this.

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:

Maybe he's always had tearing and the high framerate is just making it more noticable now?

Either way, if you use MadVR, enable "use direct3d 11 for presentation" in the MadVR options.

If you don't use MadVR, enable "D3D Fullscreen" in the MPC-HC "Output" options.

I enabled direct3d 11 and when I opened an anime I noticed some jutters in the screen panning. When I disabled it it went back to being smooth. I use Windows 10. I don't know if that is relevant or not. Though again forcing vsync in the nvidia control panel seems to have fixed things as far as I can tell.

James D wrote:

When I used SVP for thefirst time it also took days for me to stop noticing ANY anomaly. Later I kinda got used to it, partially fixed it by refresh rate.

If it's possible, I would set monitor's refresh rate to 72 minimum.

In display settings for the monitor it only shows 60hz.

One thing I'm wondering in general is that is there a way to make the frames something like 48 instead of 60? After watching anime the difference is a bit jarring and I can't tell if I just need to get used to it to like it better or if the difference between the animation and the panning is a legitimate concern.

-> custom resolution utility <-
some monitors can be overclocked to 72 hz (search this forum)

I would advice from usung CRU to use built-in utilities in the driver control panel itself.

James D wrote:

I would advice from usung CRU to use built-in utilities in the driver control panel itself.

Do it with built in utilities big_smile
http://i.imgur.com/hPMGN1w.png

Don't forget that MPC-HC also has an automatic resolution/refresh rate changer!  That way you don't have to stick with 48Hz/72Hz for 25fps and 30fps content.

I'm using a TV:

Sony 42" W800C

Sadly I can't overclock it at all. Anything past 60Hz and it won't work. Back when I was using a monitor it was much easier to overclock. But the viewing experience for movies/series is so much better on a TV, in comparison to a 27" Monitor that it's worth the compromise.

It has built in motion-interpolation, but dear lord it's horrible in comparison to SVP. So I have it completely switched off as an option, and I use SVP for motion interpolation.

Then use a custom refresh rate of 48Hz.

24fps --to-> 48Hz is smoother, has less artifacts, and is less computationally demanding than 24fps --to-> 60Hz.

The only thing is that 24fps --to-> 60Hz may feel "faster" however.

Nintendo Maniac 64
24fps --to--> 72 Hz is more smoother and less VISIBLE artifacts than 24fps --to-> 48Hz and 24fps --to-> 60Hz wink

14 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 07-04-2016 07:12:55)

MAG79 wrote:

Nintendo Maniac 64
24fps --to--> 72 Hz is more smoother and less VISIBLE artifacts than 24fps --to-> 48Hz and 24fps --to-> 60Hz wink

24fps--to->72Hz is obviously smoother than 24fps--to->48Hz, but if 72Hz isn't an option then 48Hz would be a better choice than 60Hz due to said artifacts.

However, I was unaware that 24fps--to->72Hz also had less visible artifacts than 24fps--to->48Hz.  Just for clarification sake, could you re-affirm if this is indeed correct?

Nintendo Maniac 64
Ok. It really needs to be explaned.
In case of double framerate (24>48) you have frames at output: Source, interpolated, Source, interpolated... and so on.
Interpolation artifacts are situated in the interpolated frames only.
So if SVP algorithm produces say 100 points of artifacts at every interpolated frame then you will see 0, 100, 0 ,100 and so on. It is in average only 50 points.

Now about triple framerate (24>72). At output will be: Source, interpolated1, interpolated2, Source, interpolated1, interpolated2... and so on.
But these interpolated frames are situated closely to source frames than in case of double framerate.
Double framerate = 1 inteprolated just inbetween source frames (+50% of MV length) = so it has maximum artifacts = 100 points.
Triple framerate = 2 inteprolated inbetween source frames (-33% and +33% of MV length) = so it has maximum artifacts = 66 points (or even 50 points - who knows the real formula? smile ).
If take 66 points at every interpolated frame then in average it can be 0, 66, 66, 0, 66, 66 = 132/3 = 43 points
If take 50 points at every interpolated frame then in average it can be 0, 50, 50, 0, 50, 50 = 100/3 = 33 points

So. Visibility of artifacts (in average artifacts points) will be less while triple framerate. smile