1 (edited by xetholdus 02-04-2016 22:26:30)

Topic: [NEW USER] Currently using SVP 4 FREE, should I buy the PRO version?

As I've recently just discovered SVP and am confused, I would like to ask some questions.

1. Is it worth paying the extra 15 bucks for the PRO version? Custom settings feature on the PRO seems like the main standing point for the program but the FREE version does fairly well with the limited options.

2. Are there any resources/guides out there for me to learn how to set my own settings for the program if I decide to buy the PRO version?

3. Artifact Masking, what is it?

4. Primarily using it for watching anime, any good settings out there for it?

Re: [NEW USER] Currently using SVP 4 FREE, should I buy the PRO version?

1. Aside from the extra-control & settings you get with the PRO, you're helping worthy developers who give up a lot of time to keep this project going and updated.

2. We can always help here if you ask. I had a guide written for MPDN, but that's old and it's for version 3 of SVP (back when it was free). You can always download the latest version available in the download page of SVP 3 and it has all the PRO Options, you can test them and test different settings and see what each of them do on your own if you want. But SVP 4 is not only a lot faster and more efficient, it's the future of SVP too.

3. Artifact Masking, is basically masking artifacts that happen due to interpolation, you give up smoothness (depending on the strength of the masking), but you get rid of squiggly lines like the ones in the image link below (SVP 4 is also better at artifacts masking than SVP 3).

http://i39.tinypic.com/2hxpnjq.jpg

What I like in PRO version is not just glowing black bars but a complete set of basic video scaling in one place. I can set 50% (any value) of black bars to crop while remaining will glow to watch widescreen movies with better experience.
ou can do similar in some players (KMP lets you set custom aspects) but this way is bug-proof and hassle -free.

Buying SVP4 is good idea. Pro version has many functions for users who want to custom.

But, not recommend an artifact masking to watch anime.

Because by using artifact masking for anime,  It'll not be looked smoothly.

don't forget about Vapoursynth engine support in the Pro version wink

(SVP 4 is also better at artifacts masking than SVP 3).

Maybe, but if you use the Complicated shader under 3, the problem in that screenshot goes away.

don't forget about Vapoursynth engine support in the Pro versio

Why would I want that?  The site for that project forgot to explain why I'd want it. smile

7 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 03-04-2016 19:29:14)

Chainik wrote:

don't forget about Vapoursynth engine support in the Pro version wink

But setting up automatic resolution changing in MPV is a complete pain if you aren't into coding or command line stuff, and having your refresh rate be an exact multiple of the original video framerate is an easy way to improve smoothness and reduce artifacts.

> Why would I want that?  The site for that project forgot to explain why I'd want it.

yeah, right... big_smile

it may be fixed in the future when (or "if"?) VLC will be supported via the Vapoursynth engine
right now Windows users haven't even heard about mpv (unless they're using Plex)

> But setting up automatic resolution changing in MPV is a complete pain if you aren't into coding or command line stuff

haven't dived into mpv that deep yet o_O
could you describe the problem with more details?

9 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 03-04-2016 20:30:42)

Chainik wrote:

right now Windows users haven't even heard about mpv (unless they're using Plex)

I don't use Plex and I know about mpv, and I don't even use Mac or Linux! tongue

Chainik wrote:

From what I can tell, the following script is the only way to have automatic resolution changing in mpv on Windows:
https://github.com/kevinlekiller/mpv_sc … tospeedwin

I was literally (yes, actually literally, not figuratively) getting a headache trying to figure out how to use such a thing.

One key point is that my monitor cannot use the same resolution for all refresh rates (I can run full resolution at 90Hz, but I need to reduce the resolution some for 120Hz), and I couldn't figure out if I would be able to use different resolutions for different refresh rates.

Chainik wrote:

> But setting up automatic resolution changing in MPV is a complete pain if you aren't into coding or command line stuff

haven't dived into mpv that deep yet o_O

it is even harder big_smile
https://github.com/lvml/mpv-plugin-xrandr only works with Linux

A long time ago in SVP 3 I just sent in a donation and I guess the devs kept track of that and sent free licenses for SVP 4. I don't normally support things (it's been like, Wikipedia and this) but I felt like the product was great and worth sending in $20 or whatever it was.

The product does a lot while asking very little from you, and the automatic setup was nice. I had read about avi-synth scripts before but it was a bit difficult to set up so I never got into it; it's nice that the setup takes care of all the steps for you.

But again that's your personal preference; I can't help you from a features standpoint, more just from a "did you feel this software was worth $20" standpoint. I thought it was, and probably more given how much video I watch on my PC.

There are actually a few things missing in SVP4 Pro that were in SVP 3 however:

1. Drop every-other frame (useful for livestreams at times)

2. Per-profile scaling

3. Ability to scale to a pre-selected width OR height (rather than both height and width)

Nintendo Maniac 64
3. You can do it with ffdShow option Resize & aspect.