Re: SVP 4 Stuttering problem while watching anime

With the option 48hz is worse.
Here my screenshot of cpu!!
Oh,and goodnight!

[img][/img]

I say me that the file is too large to upload!

29 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 05-03-2016 20:01:40)

AndyDragneel wrote:

I say me that the file is too large to upload!

Then upload to a different website (like minus or imgur).

Also, since 48Hz is worse than 60Hz, could you take a screenshot of the performance graph and CPU utilization with 60Hz as well as 48Hz?

Sorry for my absance,so i'm watching the cpu utilization and....it seems that the cpu works at 1.8 Ghz instead of 2.4Ghz how it is possible?

31 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 13-03-2016 09:07:58)

AndyDragneel wrote:

Sorry for my absance,so i'm watching the cpu utilization and....it seems that the cpu works at 1.8 Ghz instead of 2.4Ghz how it is possible?

If this is a laptop, it's possible that it's intentionally not turboing to full speed in order to keep power consumption and temperature down for battery life reasons.

Alternatively, SVP is just plain incorrect sometimes.

What you should do is use a program like CPU-Z to monitor your CPU clockrate and see if it's running at 2.4GHz or 1.8GHz.

If your CPU is in fact running at only 1.8GHz, try setting your power scheme in your OS to "High performance."  If it doesn't make a difference then put the setting back and try using the program "ThrottleStop" which attempts to keep your CPU in its maximum turbo state when your CPU is being maxed-out.

Yes with cpu-z the Ghz of my cpu is 1.8Ghz even with the scheme "High Perfomance" so i'm going to try this program.....

"cpu not supported"......i'm so unlucky hahhahah

34 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 13-03-2016 09:21:47)

Was that with version 6.00?  If so, use the newest beta from here:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads … de.531329/

Note that, once a new version is out, the old beta versions will "expire" and you'll be forced to go download the newest version; I believe this is to prevent any possible-buggy versions from being redistributed (though I've not had any issues).

----------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and just a heads up, if you end up solving the issue, please do not abandon this thread immediately since I'd still like to discuss a few things with your SVP setup once things are working.

(for example, 24fps @ 48Hz really should be smoother and take up less CPU than 24fps @ 60Hz...)

EDIT: Had a thought - if you set SVP to not use any GPU acceleration, does your CPU run at the full 2.4GHz?  Note that performance will likely be even worse.

"cpu not supported" even with 8.0 ,if i set "no gpu acceleration" the cpu works at 1.8Ghz and the perfomance is worse.

36 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 13-03-2016 09:37:01)

That may just mean that your performance woes with SVP is merely a symptom of a more generic issue.  For example, if you run something like Prime95 with 4 threads, do you also only see it running at 1.8GHz?

If so, perhaps you could check the temperature of your CPU via something like CoreTemp so as to make sure it's not throttling due to high temperature (for reference, the "Tj. Max" value is the CPU's safe temperature limit).

With prime95 the cpu is 2.395Mhz that is the max frequency,about the temp i think that it is normal......
I'm watching another curious thing:if i run mpc-hc without svp 4 the cpu works fine. How it is possible?

38 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 13-03-2016 09:53:16)

AndyDragneel wrote:

With prime95 the cpu is 2.395Mhz

And that was with 4 threads, correct?  What happens if you manually set prime95 to 9 threads?

AndyDragneel wrote:

I'm watching another curious thing:if i run mpc-hc without svp 4 the cpu works fine. How it is possible?

Here's a crazy idea - turn off GPU acceleration in SVP and then try playing back a VP9 video or a 10bit video with SVP.  Do you still get 1.8GHz?

If you actually get 2.4GHz with that, try doing the following:
http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Video-Disp … d-p/351374

If not then I honestly am not sure...my theory was that the processor tries to balance the load between the GPU and CPU, but if you still get 1.8GHz with SVP in a situation that shouldn't use the GPU at all then I don't know.

If all else fails, you could try using SVP 3.1.7 and use manual custom settings (fyi you can do this with SVP4 Pro as well, but it costs money unless you use Linux).

And with that, I must go to bed.

I have this problem too.When I changed to 64 bit it cause stutter problems but I'm not sure about this. When I sun SVP 4 for MPC-HC 64 bit and watch anime, seem like didn't run SVP 4. I have reinstall many times for MPC-HC 64 bit and SVP 4 64 bit but still can't fix this problem.

mickeekung wrote:

I have this problem too.When I changed to 64 bit

If you have no issues with 32bit SVP, then it would probably make more sense to ask for help in the 64bit SVP thread, or heck you could make your own thread.

I tried with SVP 3.1.7 and........"Script error"
Error: Error preparing smooth playback! Script error:
Script error: There is no function named 'SetMTMode'. What is this?

AndyDragneel wrote:

I tried with SVP 3.1.7 and........"Script error"
Error: Error preparing smooth playback! Script error:
Script error: There is no function named 'SetMTMode'. What is this?

This is a relevant thread:
https://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2622

So,i tried with SVP 3.1.7 and the situation seems much better, however i see some little "imperfections" when there is a motion camera but i repeat it is much better.
However i tried to check the "quality of playback" on filtres--->Enchached video render (custom) and it seems that the framerates not processed are 0, so in your opinion there are these "imperfections" because of video source??

It's possible that these imperfections are simply due to the default settings. Unlike SVP4, SVP3 does not have a single "optimize for animation" button.

The most basic change would be to set your shader to "2. Sharp (for anime)"; if this isn't enough also try setting your Frames interpolation mode to "1.5m (less artifacts, for anime)"

Start with that and we'll go from there.  In particular, there are several other things we can do to improve performance that should allow us to increase the SVP settings which may very well reduce artifacting farther.

Yes but, where are these options???

AndyDragneel wrote:

Yes but, where are these options???

Right click the SVP icon in the bottom-right of your screen, hover over "video profiles", and then select whichever video profile you want (the bolded one is the most recent or currently used profile).

Hi and sorry aigain for my absance so,can you please tell me what are the best settings for watching anime?

48 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 29-03-2016 19:44:11)

AndyDragneel wrote:

Hi and sorry aigain for my absance so,can you please tell me what are the best settings for watching anime?

There's no real "best settings" specific to anime other than the shader really. However, there are several other things that are useful to set regardless of video content, and since performance is an issue, this should help.

First, let's make sure you've kept the following settings that I've mentioned previously:

In SVP, enable GPU acceleration if you haven't already.  Also it would probably be wise to set the processing threads in SVP to 7.

In LAVfilters (particularly the one that is built into MPC-HC), set the decoder to "DXVA2 (copy-back)"

In MPC-HC, set your output to "Enhanced Video Renderer (custom presenter)"

In MPC-HC, set your resizer to one of the three "Bicubic" options (A=-0.60 is the smoothest, A=-1.00 is the sharpest)

In MPC-HC, enable "D3D Fullscreen"

Now set your SVP profile settings to

Frames interpolation mode: 1.5m OR Uniform (1.5 = fewer artifacts; Uniform = smoother but more CPU heavy)
SVP shader: Sharp
Target frame rate: Double source frame rate (2x)
Motion vectors grid: 8 px. Small 0
Search radius: Average
Motion vectors precision: Half pixel
Decrease grid step: Disabled
Wide search: Strongest
Artifacts masking: Disabled
Processing of scene changes: Blend adjacent frames
Decrease frame size: To screen size

Now it's very likely that this will give you performance that is not at all adequate.  So from there, you need to decrease some of the settings.  Normally you'd work with 4 of the settings, but for anime content you really only need to focus on 2 of them:

Motion vectors grid
Motion vectors precision

"Grid" controls the overall feeling of "speed" of all on-screen motion, while "Precision" only applies to the smoothness of small movements.  Generally you want to reduce "Precision" as low as possible (that being to "Two pixels") before trying to reduce the "Grid" setting.  Simply keep reducing those setting until you end up with good performance.

However, sometimes a combination such as "14 px. Average 1" + "One pixel" will give a better result than something like "12 px. Average 2" + "Two pixels".  Also remember that setting 'Interpolation mode' to "Uniform" will give higher CPU utilization than if you set it to "1.5m".

Once you have your SVP settings how you like them, there is one thing left we can do to improve smoothness of overall video-playback without increasing CPU utilization or artifacting, but it's not quite as easy to set up, so I'd rather get your SVP performance woes out of the way first.

IME, "Sharp" shader < "Complicated" shader for anime as Sharp has significant haloing on moving objects.

50 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 29-03-2016 21:39:29)

VB_SVP wrote:

IME, "Sharp" shader < "Complicated" shader for anime as Sharp has significant haloing on moving objects.

Even in SVP 3.1.7?  I was my impression that the haloing was largely an artifact in SVP 4.  Not only that, but "Complicated" takes way more CPU grunt, and we don't have lots of headroom for that (we're dealing with what would be equivalent to a quad-core Athlon 64 @ 1.8GHz, or a dual-core Core 2 Duo @ 3GHz).

Also, I believe you mean "IMO" (IME is the software technology used for typing east-Asian characters via a latin-alphabet keyboard).