Topic: SVP 4 index, why lower then 1 when cpu cycles left?

Using Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension as test movie (SVP choking on it, despite of 4 GHz 8 core CPU) I noticed that SVP index dropw below 1 even when CPU load is about 85%. Why does this happen?

And what does it mean when the index is above 1.0 ?

Ronald

2 (edited by Roberto Rossi 12-03-2016 19:26:37)

Re: SVP 4 index, why lower then 1 when cpu cycles left?

Simply you have to lower svp settings (if only-cpu is being used........... are you using gpu acceleration)?

Actually this sounds like the issue where you need to manually increase the amount of threads because "Auto" isn't providing enough.

You can find this setting by opening SVP and clicking on the SVP icon in the top left:
Application settings -> Additional options -> Processing threads

For your CPU you'll probably want to set at least 17 threads, but really you just want to use the smallest amount possible that will give you full speed (because, if you get full speed with only 9 threads, then setting 23 threads will actually increase your CPU utilization without any smoothness benefit).

I did play around with that but wih no good result, I'll give it another try, thanks for mentioning! :-)

5 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 13-03-2016 19:41:37)

Alternatively it could be a case of that you actually don't have extra CPU headroom.  Usually SVP needs around 10-15% of CPU headroom since its utilization isn't perfectly consistent.

This is especially the case when one core is practically maxed out at ~95% while a second core could be at something like 75%; in particular this is common with videos that are not decoded in hardware (HEVC, VP9, 10bit AVC).

6 (edited by tingtong5 14-03-2016 14:35:32)

I guess the conclusion might be that running SVP is not feasable on my hardware (not willing to throw even more money at it at the time) , with my display (60 Hz) and my wishes (minimizing artefacts). I am considering to stop using SVP. Not because I am disapointed, but it might simply be the most rational decision.